PDA

View Full Version : 2012: No Comet

Fraser
2008-Dec-22, 05:50 AM
According to 2012 doomsday proponents, something big is out to get us. By "something big" I mean some uncontrollable cosmic entity (i.e. Planet X, Nibiru or a "killer" solar flare), and by "us" I mean the whole of planet Earth. Pinning 2012 doomsday scenarios on the end of the ancient Mayan "Long Count" calendar appears [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/12/21/2012-no-comet/)

rodeweezls
2008-Dec-23, 01:25 PM
What about the proposed increase in gamma rays as we approach the galatic equator?

antoniseb
2008-Dec-23, 01:47 PM
What about the proposed increase in gamma rays as we approach the galatic equator?

Wait! Are we going to go through the galactic equator in December of 2012? I had the impression that we were millions of years away from passing though the galactic equator. Aren't we hundreds of light-years above it right now? While we're on the subject, going through the galactic equator (which we do every twelve million years or so), is probably the time in the cycle when we get the *least* gamma rays from the galactic center, given the location of the dust lanes.

Swift
2008-Dec-23, 02:49 PM
Hi rodeweezls, welcome to BAUT. If you are interested in 2012, I would suggest a search around the forum for it - tons of stuff. Bottom line, nothing out of the ordinary is going to happen.