PDA

View Full Version : Apollo videos

Simon
2002-Mar-25, 01:58 PM
This isn't really hoax-related, but it IS apollo, so... Is there anywhere I can get a complete copy of ALL the video material shot for Apollo? As in, a tape or DVD or something? I'm really not too sure where to look; a documentary would be okay, but not exactly what I want...

Ah well, it's just an idea. A cool one, though.

2002-Mar-26, 08:57 AM
On 2002-03-25 08:58, Simon wrote:
This isn't really hoax-related, but it IS apollo, so... Is there anywhere I can get a complete copy of ALL the video material shot for Apollo? As in, a tape or DVD or something? I'm really not too sure where to look; a documentary would be okay, but not exactly what I want...

I don't know? maybe theres a 4 sale sign tho?
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/PUB/photonframe
now back to the math prob;lems?
just while U wait

Karamoon
2002-Mar-26, 10:15 AM
Simon: Is there anywhere I can get a complete copy of ALL the video material shot for Apollo?

No. 30 years later, there is still no complete body of footage available to purchase of "mans greatest ever achievement", only various bits and pieces (of NASA's best bits) on various documentaries, etc etc.

As I understand it, some chap did go to the trouble of transferring the complete works and spooled off numerous copies, but these were snapped up faster than you can say "NASA doesn't want cynics analysing the complete EVA footage".

Some people will say that there isn't a market for such a collection of tapes, but this is a complete lie. Others will say the footage isn't easy to transfer, but this is a smoke screen too.

No collection would come cheep, mind, but the feedback I got from different people was still very positive.

Why are we still waiting, NASA?

kucharek
2002-Mar-26, 10:23 AM
Is there anywhere I can get a complete copy of ALL the video material shot for Apollo? As in, a tape or DVD or something? I'm really not too sure where to look; a documentary would be okay, but not exactly what I want...

Check out Spacecraft Films (http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/).

It looks they do what many of use like to get, though I haven't heard comments about these guys yet.

Roy Batty
2002-Mar-26, 03:06 PM
The British Interplanetary Society sell Apollo videos (I havnt bought/seen any though so cant comment on quality).
http://www.bis-spaceflight.com/salesE.htm

JayUtah
2002-Mar-26, 03:29 PM
faster than you can say "NASA doesn't want cynics analysing the complete EVA footage".

Anyone is welcome to examine the footage. You just have to go to Texas to do it. In legitimate historical investigation it's not uncommon to have to travel someplace to examine rare or valuable evidence. It's only the self-appointed (and generally inexperienced) "researchers" that expect everything to be delivered to their doorsteps.

Further, it's hard to argue they're hiding something when they presented it live on television, and will let anyone see it who comes to where it's kept.

Finally, hoax believers have tried their hand at analyzing what's already out there. The lack of material doesn't seem to daunt them. And quite frankly the analysis of what's there is an exercise in absurdity. It's the same old stuff they do with the photos: the shadows are wrong, they don't jump high enough, that's a wire not an antenna. Very naive, very unconvincing arguments. When you see what utter foolishness is being done with what's available, it's hard to believe NASA's afraid of what these people might do with more.

Some people will say that there isn't a market for such a collection of tapes, but this is a complete lie.

No, it isn't. It's simply a market analysis. The claim is not that there is no market, but that the market is insufficient to support the effort. To produce all of them for commercial distribution requires a cash outlay which will have to be repaid through sales.

No collection would come cheep, mind, but the feedback I got from different people was still very positive.

So your market analysis, the basis upon which you're calling everyone liars, is simply that you asked a few of your friends?

I'd like one, but I'm not willing to pay $500 or more for it. That means NASA can't count on me as a customer. And many libraries won't pay that much for a single item either. Showtime's From the Earth to the Moon retails at about $100 in the U.S. and that's only about 12 hours of video. Just one J-mission is twice that much EVA footage. Sure, it's a poor comparison because you have to pay Showtime for the production costs, whereas NASA is just (theoretically) making copies. I'm merely trying to illustrate that a market analysis doesn't just ask, "Would you buy this if it were available?"

Why are we still waiting, NASA?

Well, while you approach this question by waxing conspiratorial, I simply ask some people who order stuff from NASA all the time. I'm told that now DVDs are relatively cheap to produce and distribute, they are thinking about it again.

Given the sheer volume of other Apollo information that has been released by NASA, it seems incongruous to suggest that NASA is withholding the video simply because they're afraid of what might be seen in it. It seems more in line with the facts to suppose that the video evidence is the most difficult and expensive to disseminate generally.

JayUtah
2002-Mar-26, 03:38 PM
The British Interplanetary Society sell Apollo videos (I havnt bought/seen any though so cant comment on quality).

I can. While I was looking for a comprehensive Apollo footage source in the U.K. for Karamoon I stumbled across this and wrote to the curator. He said they really didn't have much.

The Apollo films offered for sale are half-hour public relations films produced in the early 1970s for NASA by A-V Films of Houston, Texas. They are not suitable for historical research because the producers have taken liberties for the sake of presentation. Nevertheless they are widely available from many distributors in a variety of formats.

Unfortunately what many hoax believers put forth as "official NASA footage" are really exerpts from these films as edited by the contractor. While they incorporate EVA footage, they are not intended to be historical documentation of the missions.