PDA

View Full Version : Who else likes Weird Al?

Pi Man
2003-Nov-12, 04:18 AM
Yes... Its time we had a thread on Weird Al.

So, what's your favorite Weird Al song?

tuffel999
2003-Nov-12, 04:36 AM
Fat of course!

Or Amish Paradise.

One of the two.

Maybe the American Pie Jedi spoof except I love American Pie so it rubbed me a little bit the wrong way.

eljefelopez
2003-Nov-12, 04:38 AM
Yoda
King of Suede
Guest appearance on the Simpsons

Jpax2003
2003-Nov-12, 05:02 AM
He should write a song about Planet X and other such "theories."

Oh wait, REM already did it, "It's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine... babble babble babble..."

Pi Man
2003-Nov-12, 05:26 AM
I've heard very few of his songs, but I love all of the ones I've heard!

Who else is a fan of I Ran Over the Taco Bell Dog?

Or, maybe Oops, I Think I Farted Again?

Chuck
2003-Nov-12, 06:19 AM
Your Horoscope for Today is a good Weird Al song. It blasts astrology really good.

space cadet
2003-Nov-12, 07:06 AM
He's alright. But I guess I'm not really into his style. He's just so blatent in his mission to make people laugh it turns me off. I feel like he tries too hard, and it seems contrived.

I like They Might be Giants much better. Their sense of humor is much more clever and subtle. I also think that their lyrics are more poetic. Don't get me wrong, Weird Al does a great job making fun of things, but his lyrics aren't all that intruiging. TMBG are the true artists as far as musical talent goes.

Reacher
2003-Nov-12, 11:21 AM
Another one Rides the Bus, Your Horoscope for Today, Yoda, and, especially, Star Wars Cantina. "Music and blasters and old Jadi masters at the Star Wars...."

One that really stands out is Alberqurque(sp?). If you haven't heard it, it's about 12 mins of pure **. The storyline is all over the place, and nothing is consistent. His ability to deliberately ramble on like that for so long is amazing.

My computer dictionary doesn't have Albuqurque...

gethen
2003-Nov-12, 12:59 PM
She Drives Like Crazy. I don't like all of his stuff, but occasionally he strikes gold. In Amish Paradise he does a pretty good job of tearing up the whole gangsta genre.

rigel
2003-Nov-12, 01:54 PM
Some I can rember from long ago. eat it, and other michael jackson paradies. Others are bad I and i don't try to remeber words. Haven't heard any recently since star wars.

informant
2003-Nov-12, 02:38 PM
Eat It (Beat It parody) and Like a Surgeon (Like a Virgin parody)! Great videos, too.

One that really stands out is Alberqurque(sp?). [...]
My computer dictionary doesn't have Albuqurque...
Albuquerque.
Remember, a 'qu' never comes alone, except in weird English family names like Urquhart. ;)

Papa Bear
2003-Nov-12, 03:35 PM

Don't know the name of the either the song he parodies or the parody title, but my favorite is the Kurt Cobain parody, especially the part where he has marbles in his mouth. He hits Cobain's style of intonation on the head.

My next favorite is Amish Paradise. The video is hilarious.

I like the VH1 concert that airs every once in a while; he does about a 15-minute medley of pop/rock songs set to a polka beat. "Stairway to Heaven" as a polka is priceless. His short-lived interview series was also amusing. He could make fun of the "guests" (Eminem and Avril are too easy to make fun of, though) while still being self-deprecating.

The guy is actually a solid musician and a talented lyricist. Glad he has fun doing what he does well. The world needs someone who can remind all the self-proclaimed "serious artists" that it is after all, just showbiz, and they all could be working at the local car parts plant.

jokergirl
2003-Nov-12, 03:38 PM
Don't know the name of the either the song he parodies or the parody title, but my favorite is the Kurt Cobain parody, especially the part where he has marbles in his mouth. He hits Cobain's style of intonation on the head.

Smells like Nirvana. One of my favorites too, besides Amish Paradise.

;)

Tzuk_Te
2003-Nov-12, 04:54 PM

I really like Yoda and The Sage Begins.

Recently, Weird Al come to Houston during his tour for the Poodle Hat album. My brother had been to an earlier concert and said WA was great, so he convinced me to go.

He was great. Never had a better time at a concert. Al was all over the place, including the audience, and changed costumes several times. During the wardrobe changes they played clips from UHF, Weird Al TV, and a couple of clips I've never seen (like the new horror film, 50% Chance of Rain! Ahhhh!). The encore was a twenty minute set consisting of Yoda, the Yoda Chant, and The Sage Begins. All the guys on stage were dressed in their best Jedi Knight outfits. Good stuff.

Tzuk Te

Reacher
2003-Nov-12, 06:20 PM
He came down here recently, and I was going to go to the concert with Daro, but he pulled out, so I never went.

2003-Nov-12, 08:04 PM
I LOVE Al. I've got a number of his albums and my ultimate goal is to recollect all of them on CD.

I was actually sorta disappointed with the last album. It was nowhere near the quality of Running With Scissors or Off The Deep End.

Al is an excellent lyricist and a good musician. Look at all the different styles he and his band are able to play. He's probably one of the most successful artists out there too. I dare say he's probably sold more albums than most of the people he's done parodies of. Yeah, he doesn't have any super huge hits like the songs he parodies, but his albums pretty consistently go gold or even platinum. I believe all but a small handful have.

ObiWan377
2003-Nov-12, 08:06 PM
Weird Al is my favorite musician of all time. I have a lot of favorite songs by him I don't even know where to start. There are the obvious, like Smells Like Nirvana, Fat, Amish Paradise, Couch Potato (an Eminem parody. no video for it because of Eminem. Curse him!), Eat It, Saga Begins, Yoda, and It's all About the Pentiums. But the lesser known songs by him that I like are Spam, I Remember Larry, Jerry Springer, Genius in France, and of course, his infamous polkas. Weird Al is the man.

Reacher
2003-Nov-12, 08:14 PM
I can't beleive I forgot Jerry Springer. Great song.

I'm surprised that Weird Al was even allowed to do Couch Potato, after Will the Real Slim Shady Please Shut Up?

SeanF
2003-Nov-12, 08:58 PM
...and, especially, Star Wars Cantina. "Music and blasters and old Jadi masters at the Star Wars...."

:oops: Star Wars Cantina is not by Weird Al - but it is a good song! :)

I've seen Al in concert twice. A couple years ago on the "Running with Scissors" tour and way back when on the "Dare to Be Stupid" tour.

Hmm. Those are the two albums with the Star Wars parodies (Yoda and The Saga Begins). It just so happens those are the two times he came to town, though. :)

I have all his albums on CD - at least, all the original albums. I don't have any of his compilation discs.

Can anybody else get through the Hardware Store bridge on one breath? I can't . . .

weatherc
2003-Nov-12, 09:32 PM
He was great. Never had a better time at a concert. Al was all over the place, including the audience, and changed costumes several times. During the wardrobe changes they played clips from UHF, Weird Al TV, and a couple of clips I've never seen (like the new horror film, 50% Chance of Rain! Ahhhh!). The encore was a twenty minute set consisting of Yoda, the Yoda Chant, and The Sage Begins. All the guys on stage were dressed in their best Jedi Knight outfits. Good stuff.

Tzuk Te

I couldn't agree more -- Weird Al puts on a great show. What amazed me was the diversity of the crowd at the show that I went to; there were young and old, nerds and bikers, goths and yuppies there, and they were all having a great time. I'd go to another Weird Al show without a second thought.

mutant
2003-Nov-12, 10:13 PM
OK, I give up. Who is Weird Al?

ObiWan377
2003-Nov-12, 10:49 PM
OK, I give up. Who is Weird Al?

:o SHAME ON YOU!!!
j/k :)

To learn more, start with the source:

www.weirdal.com

Also worth linking, I see some songs listed on this topic that are not by Weird Al. This is a common mistake. To educate the masses, a site with songs that are NOT by Weird Al.

http://free.house.cx/~eil/etc/notal.html

Pi Man
2003-Nov-13, 03:22 AM
Weird Al does the best job making fun of the dumbest songs I have ever heard! He's great! :D

Sever
2003-Nov-13, 03:30 AM
The man is talented no doubt about it.

decarmony
2003-Nov-13, 04:01 AM
My favorite -and the kids sing along with it is the saga(star wars lyrics done to american pie).---Hi Pi man , missed your chats-been out of town alot.

Pi Man
2003-Nov-13, 04:26 AM
My favorite -and the kids sing along with it is the saga(star wars lyrics done to american pie).---Hi Pi man , missed your chats-been out of town alot.

Hi, decarmony! What's up? :D It's been a while!

Reacher
2003-Nov-13, 02:04 PM
Woah, I didn't know that, Sean. Thanks. Speaking of long bridges, can anyone do the Your Horiscope for Today bridge in one breath?

Edit: That list mentions that Nine Coronas isn't a Weird Al song. It sounds so much like him, though. He has a distinctive voice.

jkmccrann
2006-Nov-30, 04:21 AM
Always been a big fan of Weird Al, especially during the early 90s when he was really quite big with Off the Deep End, Alapalooza and Bad Hair Day.

Just got his new album, Straight Outta Lynwood, Canadian Idiot and White and Nerdy are OK, but sadly I think his best days are behind him. IMO he'll never reach the heights of Smells Like Nirvana and Amish Paradise again.

All-tme parody classics!

Serenitude
2006-Nov-30, 05:28 AM
I like "My Babie's In Love With Eddie Vedder", because it so describes my wife, who is smitten with all things from the Angsty One.

Edit: Forgot my personal Fave - "This is the Life"

Doodler
2006-Nov-30, 05:35 AM
Don't know the name of the either the song he parodies or the parody title, but my favorite is the Kurt Cobain parody, especially the part where he has marbles in his mouth. He hits Cobain's style of intonation on the head..

Smells like Nirvana, parody of Smells like Teen Spirit.

That's a pretty good one, though Amish Paradise is legendary.

Doodler
2006-Nov-30, 05:38 AM
The guy is actually a solid musician and a talented lyricist. Glad he has fun doing what he does well. The world needs someone who can remind all the self-proclaimed "serious artists" that it is after all, just showbiz, and they all could be working at the local car parts plant.

Eminem is like that too. The Slim Shady tracks were hysterical, if your sense of humor is dark enough.

Maksutov
2006-Nov-30, 05:50 AM
Always been a big fan of Weird Al, especially during the early 90s when he was really quite big with Off the Deep End, Alapalooza and Bad Hair Day.

Just got his new album, Straight Outta Lynwood, Canadian Idiot and White and Nerdy are OK, but sadly I think his best days are behind him. IMO he'll never reach the heights of Smells Like Nirvana and Amish Paradise again.

All-tme parody classics!Are you reverting to your old archeological-dig ways, jkmccrann? The last post to this thread before yours was in 2003.

Of course Weird Al is the best, but how about a new thread?

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Nov-30, 06:01 AM
Fat of course!

Or Amish Paradise.

One of the two.

Maybe the American Pie Jedi spoof except I love American Pie so it rubbed me a little bit the wrong way.
ok how about the madonna rmake of american pie that was worse.
I like most of his songs.

Swift
2006-Nov-30, 01:51 PM
This thread is an old chestnut, but I am a Big Al fan. As others have said, go see him in concert (I've been twice). I always love the little "movies" he runs while he changes costumes; I have a concert video, but sadly, they edited those out.

Mister Earl
2006-Nov-30, 02:28 PM
The question shouldn't be "Who likes Wierd Al?" but rather "Is there anyone who doesn't like Wierd Al?"

The man has a gift.

Doodler
2006-Nov-30, 02:37 PM

I hate the original... If I could have one wish, I'd go back in time and tell Richie Valens, Buddy Holly and the Bopper to stay the HECK off that plane...

Fazor
2006-Nov-30, 04:51 PM
Being a huge Nirvana fan, Smells like Nirvana is one of my faves. Also like just about all of his old stuff, and...well, pretty much all of his new stuff. The thing that always amazed me about weird al, like him or not you gotta admit he's talented. He can emulate just about anyone soo well. And who doesn't like a master acordianieer? :)

When I play Smells like Teen Spirit, half the time I catch myself slipping into that line "Now i'm mumblin'! And I'm screamin! I still don't know, what I'm say'n" Lol, I love Kurt, but it's soo true. :)

[Not really an edit, but a PS] Posted this earlier today, and I just came across this article (http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2682023&page=1) about the song (nirvana's origonal). Altho I agree with the outcome, don't particularly like the article. (basically says Nirvana only appeals to depressed teenage angst...which the misinterpretation of his songs had a big part to do with Kurt's suicide...well, that and all the heroin...heh). I don't connect or identify with the lyrics, just love the music. Anyway enjoy.

WaxRubiks
2006-Nov-30, 07:53 PM
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/3858/wallpapernightofthelivingdead2.jpg

did you click on a 'similar thread' link jkmcrann?

lti
2006-Nov-30, 10:22 PM
Well my favourite song of his atm would have to be White and Nerdy. I'm no fan of rap but its the lyrics of this parody that really do it for me.

So much of it I can relate to personally, or have experienced from forums etc.

'I'm fluent in Java Script as well as Klingon'

'The only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk? or do I like Picard?'

cjl
2006-Dec-01, 12:32 AM
I love weird al :D

For me, it's a toss up between The Saga Begins, White and Nerdy, and Amish Paradise (though Smells Like Nirvana is great too).

Lord Jubjub
2006-Dec-01, 12:47 AM
Well, Eat It is probably one of the best I've heard of his pop parodies.

He's also done Peter and the Wolf (as good as the original, IMO) and Carnival of the Animals.

PhantomWolf
2006-Dec-01, 12:50 AM
Homer and Marge (Life goes on) (Jack and Dianne (Life goes on) take off on the Simpsons.)

Also Eat It, Addicted to Spuds and Smells Like Nirvana

One that is not Kid friendly, but very very funny is his take off of Genie in a bottle

Dragon Star
2006-Dec-01, 12:57 AM
Amish Paradise. Period.

closetgeek
2006-Dec-08, 09:06 PM
All time favorite: Polka Your Eyes Out
close second: Albequerquie (spelling)

vonmazur
2006-Dec-08, 09:37 PM
Saw him at Toad's Place in New Haven, in 1982, with Dr Demento...a memorable concert for sure..

"I love rocky road" and other light classics.....

I must point out that Spike Jones and PDQ Bach are much funnier.....

The Homer and Jethro-Spike Jones version of Paglacchi and the Spike Jones version of Carmen were much more erudite than Wierd Al. However Wierd Al is much more au courant....

Dale in Ala

Fazor
2006-Dec-08, 09:42 PM
Al played a show at our state fair back in the early 90's...it was my first concert as a youngster. The opening act was a young comic by the name of Jeff Foxworthy. For the $5 ticket price, was quite a show :)

Heh, the only other concert I've ever been to was Ozzfest '02 and '03. I think that was the years. And the only shows I really have a desire to see now would be Foo-Fighter's or Nine Inch Nails... neither play in central ohio all that often tho. But I digress... That wierd all concert will always be memorable :) Great preformer.

N C More
2006-Dec-08, 11:06 PM
I more than *like* Weird Al. He is my inspiration! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/liebe/a044.gif

You see, I, too, am "White and Nerdy":

"I wanna roll with the gangsta's
but so far they all think I'm too
white & nerdy.
Think I'm just too white & nerdy
Think I'm just too white & nerdy
I'm just too white & nerdy
Really really white & nerdy"

"First in my class here at MIT
Got skills I'm a champion at D&D
MC Escher that's my favorite M.C.
Keep your forty I'll just have an Earl
Gray tea"

Nerds of the world unite! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/liebe/a065.gif

Lianachan
2006-Dec-09, 12:10 AM
I'd vote "Meh, he's OK" if it was there!