PDA

View Full Version : How often do you drink alcholic beverages, and...

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2003-Nov-12, 03:26 PM
How often do you drink alcholic beverages, and do you consider it a problem?

tuffel999
2003-Nov-12, 03:35 PM
Those are kind of biased options don't you think?

jokergirl
2003-Nov-12, 03:35 PM
The poll should have a fourth option. I usually drink alcohol less than once a week. Actually, most of the time even less than once a month. It's no fun drinking alone, alcohol is kind of a social drug.

Also (although I don't drink it) does beer count? It's alcoholic, and some people drink it daily, yet don't have a problem with it?

;)

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2003-Nov-12, 03:40 PM
The poll should have a fourth option. I usually drink alcohol less than once a week. Actually, most of the time even less than once a month. It's no fun drinking alone, alcohol is kind of a social drug.

Also (although I don't drink it) does beer count? It's alcoholic, and some people drink it daily, yet don't have a problem with it?

;)

Depends how much beer your drinking. I've been putting an 8 pack away almost nightly. I consider that a problem. Haven't sought counselling yet...

tuffel999
2003-Nov-12, 03:48 PM
The problem with your options is you can be a one drink a week alcoholic or a 5-7 day a week non-alcoholic. In recent years there have been several studies that found a glass of red wine a day can actually be good for you (and of course there are contrary studies). A problem with drugs has a lot to do with the individual and cannopt be easily quantified for a group.

The Following is my opinion. I do not have proof to back it up it is but one mans ramblings:

If you have a glass of wine with dinner at night is that an alcoholic, probably not if you can quit doing it without having the withdrawl symptoms(physical addiction I am not even going to touch psychological addictions). Now if you drink a glass of wine with dinner and can not quit without the withdrawl symptoms then you are an addict. So it basically boils down to each individuals biochemistry. Psychological addictions are another thing. I have always maintained that anyone with a psychological addiction such as eating simply lacks the will power to stop. This position doesn't garner many supporters but if you really want bad enough you can quit anything. Mind over matter can work(not telekenetics but changing your own actions). However, if you are psychologically addicted long enough you could very well, in my opinion, develop a physical addiction and well then that is a big problem.

Laser Jock
2003-Nov-12, 03:49 PM
The poll should have a fourth option.

And a fifth option, I don't drink at all.

R.A.F.
2003-Nov-12, 03:56 PM
And a fifth option, I don't drink at all.

Yeah...perhaps this poll should be "edited" to include that option, then I can vote.

Archer17
2003-Nov-12, 03:58 PM
I don't think how often one drinks is a criteria for a "problem" .. it's how they drink. I know alcoholics that only drink on weekends and others that might stop daily after work for 1-2 "cordials." Admitting you have a potential problem is 3/4 of the battle, banquo's_bumble_puppy. Join a support group like AA. It did wonders for a good friend of mine .. he's been sober since 1989.

Myself, I imbibe mainly on weekends unless I have a bad day and want to kill the boss :wink:

Darkwing
2003-Nov-12, 06:00 PM
Another vote for option 5.

space cadet
2003-Nov-12, 06:13 PM
I'm LDS (Mormon) so I can't drink alcohol either. That's pretty much like pasting a "designated driver" sign on my head, lol.

Mr. X
2003-Nov-12, 06:23 PM
I have not ever, nor will I ever touch a drop of alcohol.

No it's not religious, not because I am a priest, I do so by choice, of my own free will.

ToSeek
2003-Nov-12, 06:31 PM
About the only form of alcoholic beverage I like is English pub cider, which has the result that I've drunk more alcohol on that side of the Atlantic than this side.

SKY
2003-Nov-12, 06:36 PM
Well, I usually drink one beer a night, maybe a few nights a week, But even that is few and far between.

I will tell you a story about when I got completly turned off of the "Social Drinking" thing. When I was in highschool, I went to a friends birthday party. His parents were out of town and he had a pretty big party with a keg. To make a long story short here is what I consumed that night:

12 glasses of beer

half a bottle of Tequila

and 5 glasses of "Jungle Juice" (incase you don't know, Jungle Juice is a mixture of punch and an array of different types of alchoholic beverages, ie, Teguila, Whiskey, Scotch, etc.)

Just thinking about that night makes my stomach turn http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/images/smiles/eusa_sick.gif , and that was over 10 years ago. I vowed the next day to NEVER drink even remotely close to that again. I haven't come close yet, nor will I ever.

zebo-the-fat
2003-Nov-12, 06:40 PM
1 or 2 cans of beer most nights, 2 glasses of red wine at weekend, I don't have a problem with that. I could stop if Ineeded without any problem but I like the flavour! I very seldom have enough to get drunk, so where in the poll do I fit?

SeanF
2003-Nov-12, 07:28 PM
I have not ever, nor will I ever touch a drop of alcohol.

No it's not religious, not because I am a priest, I do so by choice, of my own free will.

Surely you realize that those who abstain for religious reasons are choosing to do so of their own free will as well.

(Wondering if a Catholic priest who drinks the consecrated blood but no other alcohol could be considered a teetotaler...)

informant
2003-Nov-12, 08:11 PM
I rarely drink, and only on social occasions. I simply was never much into drinking.

Mr. X
2003-Nov-12, 08:19 PM
Surely you realize that those who abstain for religious reasons are choosing to do so of their own free will as well.
No, I don't wish to go into this here, but I don't consider it the same.

LTC8K6
2003-Nov-12, 08:41 PM
The last time I got tipsy was in 1992. I was in Korea for Uncle Sam and my buddies decided I should visit the Kettle house up on the hill in Itaewon. #-o

They later stiffed a cabbie and he was throwing rocks at our building half the night because he couldn't get in to get at us. We couldn't get a cab for a week after that. (Unless we had a carton of Marlboros or something else good to trade :D )

I probably have a drink one or two times a month nowadays.

I was often a designated driver back then, too.

mike alexander
2003-Nov-12, 08:47 PM
Don't drink alcohol. Not from high principles, it just messes up my head and makes me go to sleep. I hate a messed-up head and tend to begrudge the time I sleep, anyway.

devil's advocate
2003-Nov-12, 09:19 PM
Alcoholism runs in the family, so I have made the decision to stay away from drinking. Not religous, just medical.

SeanF
2003-Nov-12, 09:20 PM
No, I don't wish to go into this here, but I don't consider it the same.

:roll:

You're right, though, that this isn't the place...

Mig
2003-Nov-12, 09:34 PM
...er, have I stumbled into a meeting of some kind. I could come back later.

rigel
2003-Nov-12, 09:45 PM
Also agree with 5th option. Gave it up recently. Hadn't really drank much over the last few years anyway. Nothing like college :wink: Maybe this is just my body telling me I can't handle alcohol as well as I used to.

I also am not drinking much coffe about 1 cup a week. just feel better without it. Still drinking sodas with caffeine.

tuffel999
2003-Nov-13, 12:27 AM
I hate that after 1 drink I always want to go to sleep. If I have 2 I don't but 1 and I am out like a light. Although it works well for me on those nights when I can't sleep. Slip into the kitchen grab a Paulaner and 30minutes later I am like a rock.

freddo
2003-Nov-13, 03:34 AM
I drink around 3 nights a week, and I don't consider it 'somewhat' of a problem...

It's usually nothing much, like a beer with my dinner (if it's something common - bangers & mash or whatnot), and maybe every second week there is a function on which I will actually get drunk at. I never drink with drunkenness as the desired outcome, so its achievement is simply a product of time and enjoyment.

Tuffel999 - most nights the beer has the same effect on me... If I've got something big on the next day and I need a good rest, one bev just after dinner (or during) puts me out like a light... And the next day I am invariably refreshed. Go figure.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Nov-13, 03:54 AM
As for me, I never drink. For one, I don't see any real point to it. Also, it's illegal for me to drink. :wink:

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Nov-13, 04:48 AM
Away back when, in my younger days, I kept several breweries solvent singlehandedly...there were nights when I hit the bar with the sole intent of getting sh*tfaced. As the band said, "The more you drink, the better we sound!". There were many nights when they sounded excellent. Of course, they bent their elbows too, and eventually I sorta signed on as unofficial backup baritone and roadie...but I digress...

A couple of times, I was asking myself if I had a problem. That was enough to convince me I did. My drinking habits changed -- I drank much less, and changed brands occasionally for taste. The places were still the same (the corner bar, etc), but when I went home it was just feeling mildly pleasant as opposed to staggering drunk.

In the early 90's, my body chemistry changed somewhat. Drinking anything fermented made me ill (white as a sheet, streaming sweat, knots of fire in my stomach). No ulcers, just an allergy to some chemical component in my beverages of choice.

So I quit.

In the last ten years, I can count on my fingers how many drinks I've had, and still give you a couple fingers' change.

Have a root beer, shed a tear, and move on down the road... 8-[

tuffel999
2003-Nov-13, 05:22 AM
In the early 90's, my body chemistry changed somewhat. Drinking anything fermented made me ill (white as a sheet, streaming sweat, knots of fire in my stomach). No ulcers, just an allergy to some chemical component in my beverages of choice.

So I quit.

So I here this comment a lot form people who have never drank that they are allergic to alcohol. I find that kind of funny since for an allergy to be an allergy your body has to raise an immune response to the allergen. To the best of my knowledge there has not been any data that alcohol can raise an immune reaction. Now sulfites in wine and such can (notice they have to be noted on bottles now in the US). SO most people who are allergic to 'alcohol' are allergic to a component like sulfites like you said not the alcohol itself. I could be wrong but I have never seen the data. Now put a soy bean in my food and watch me go into Anaphylaxis pretty quick.

Jpax2003
2003-Nov-13, 05:35 AM
I drink for religous reasons.

If Jesus went to all that trouble to turn water into wine, I had better partake and enjoy!

Most people don't cry over spilt milk, but there are some who turn spilt water into whine.

Bawheid
2003-Nov-13, 10:46 AM
I need the two or three times a week, less than 20 units, not a problem option.

Other than that I'm just your typical Scottish binge drinker. Steroetypes have to be based on some truth. :o

Eroica
2003-Nov-26, 05:30 PM
Guinness is good for you. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3266819.stm) Well, we always knew that, but now it's official!

sarongsong
2003-Nov-26, 07:23 PM
Still drinking sodas with caffeine---rigel
Hope they're not aspertame/Nutrasweet "diet" sodas--- it turns into wood alcohol---not good.
http://www.sweetpoison.com

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-Nov-26, 07:42 PM
I also need the 2 to 3 times a week not a problem option. I come from a very German, very Catholic family....I know of atleast one vineyard that's in business because my family drinks frequently.

Now put a soy bean in my food and watch me go into Anaphylaxis pretty quick.

Ah! Good to see that there are other people with this problem, in a twisted sort of way. I was beginning to think that my grandmother and I were the only two. Nice to have someone else who truely knows our pain. Our own family thinks that it's a show...though we both get very sick everytime we eat it....

tuffel999
2003-Nov-26, 08:33 PM
No show for me! I had a very unfortunate trip to the hospital that resulted in me with a tube in my throat and an extended view of the hospital room. I have an epipen for emergencies.

Jobe
2003-Nov-27, 07:41 AM
I also object to the voting options. The 2 variables here are quantity of alcohol consumed in one session, and the frequency of sessions. You seem to be saying that frequency is all important, and not so much quantity.

My opinion;

Bad:
high quantity at high frequency (e.g. 8 beers every night- alcoholic proportions)
high quantity at low frequency (e.g. binge drinking- damage your liver in one hit!)

OK:
low quantity at low frequency (e.g. couple of glasses of wine with dinner on sunday)
low quantity at high frequency (e.g. beer or two, or a glass of wine every night- 1 glass of red wine a night has been shown in studies to potentially prolong your life)

So to me, its obvious that the problem is the amount you drink in one session, and not so much how often you do it.

Of course if you drank 1 beer in a session, and had 12 sessions an hour, that could be a problem :)

My advice to you if you are getting drunk every night is to see your doctor about it. You may be an alcoholic, or you may be "self-medicating" i.e. drinking to escape depression. This is a bad idea since alcohol itself is a depressent.

numbskull
2003-Nov-27, 07:54 AM
I live in France. My wife is French. I have to drink every day.

It's the law.