PDA

View Full Version : Misinterpreted movies, TV confusion

Paul Beardsley
2003-Nov-12, 06:36 PM
Having just read and enjoyed a bunch of condensed movies on another thread, here's an idea I had.

Think of a SF movie or TV episode which you failed to understand because you were very young, or you missed large chunks of it, or which someone switched over during the adverts without telling you, or whatever. Then describe the story as you interpreted it. (Pretend examples might be fun but here are a couple of genuine ones.)

A "Classic" Star Trek episode - seen when I was very young.

A giant log floats around in space, seen through the windscreen of a spaceship. It obviously belongs to the captain because he keeps going on about "Captain's Log". Nevertheless it seems to be dangerous. Eventually the bloke with pointy ears goes after it in a small spaceship that looks like a minibus. He seems to be killed, but then he turns up again and everything is all right.

The Time Machine - saw bits of it aged 8, but missed huge chunks.

A man wanders around a garden, and is surprised to see his own tomb stone. Suddenly the city starts blowing up and a volcano erupts. The man runs back to his time machine. Much later, a Scottish bloke and an elderly lady stand in the inventer's study talking about where he has gone. They can see from the skid marks on the floor of the study and on the lawn outside that he has driven his machine into the bushes at the end of the garden, but they do not bother to go and find him.

Glom
2003-Nov-12, 06:45 PM
The Classic episode might have been 'The Immunity Syndrome' with the giant space amoeba.

chani
2003-Nov-12, 11:30 PM
that's too funny

waynek
2003-Nov-13, 03:54 AM
Not quite the same, but this thread plus the re-release of Alien reminds me of a story...
I was too young to go and see the original Alien movie when it came out, but my dad and uncle went to go see it. When my dad got home, he was so excited about it that he told me and my brother the entire story. My imagination filled in the rest, and it gave me nightmares. When I finally saw it, it wasn't as scary as the version I'd made up myself. How's that for "parental guidance". :lol:
It's been so long since I've seen it now, I have trouble remembering which version of certain scenes was in the movie and which ones I made up!

jokergirl
2003-Nov-13, 07:56 AM
Hm, not as funny a confusion, but there was that movie I watched as a kid and got damn scared by it. It had something to do with aliens (or alien robots) that looked exactly like humans and posed as people from that town. But they were made of metal and able of acrobatic feats no human could do. The kangaroo-jumping women were damn scary!
In retrospect, I think that movie might have been funny, some kind of Blade Runner spoof. But the concept of aliens posing as humans haunted me in my dreams for quite some time.
Also, since it had been funny, there was this scene where the policeman wanted to prove someone was really a robot and repeatedly stabbed them with a knife. It was the real guy, though, and I just couldn't see where something like that would not get the guy, policeman or not, in jail or at least into a straightjacket for the rest of the movie?

Heh. Guess that proves that even at a small age, I was already wierd...

;)

Bawheid
2003-Nov-13, 04:30 PM
Not sci-fi but when I first saw High Noon the station, (Border in the UK, legendary for its poor quality) was running late and just rolled the credits as the sherrif was heading to the station. So for years I thought he went to his death have received no help from the townsfolk and the bad guys won, which would have been a much better ending. :o

cyswxman
2003-Nov-13, 05:28 PM
A "Classic" Star Trek episode - seen when I was very young.

A giant log floats around in space, seen through the windscreen of a spaceship. It obviously belongs to the captain because he keeps going on about "Captain's Log". Nevertheless it seems to be dangerous. Eventually the bloke with pointy ears goes after it in a small spaceship that looks like a minibus. He seems to be killed, but then he turns up again and everything is all right.

That sounds like the episode "The Doomsday Device", but the man who was killed (committed suicide) in the shuttlecraft was Commodore Decker.

cyswxman
2003-Nov-13, 05:34 PM
Oh yes, in response to the original post....

I'm about 8 years old, and I have just seen 2001 - A Space Oddysey. :o :o :o
The human race must have struck mute - no one wanted to talk. :-?

Waarthog
2003-Nov-13, 05:52 PM
It wasn't SF but the first time I saw the film Brian's Song about the life and death of Brian Piccolo of the Chicago Bears, back in about 1973-74, the following movie was some silly thing entitled Trapped or something equally silly where a man is trapped in a store at night guarded by security dogs. All the promos for both movies that night were combined as if it was some odd double feature. My bedtime was halfway through Brian's Song so I woke up the next morning thinking Brian Piccolo was killed by dogs.

Laser Jock
2003-Nov-13, 06:39 PM
When my brother and I watched Star Wars when we were young, we misunderstood what Han Solo said at one point. During the escape from the Death Star when the Millinium Falcon was attacked by Tie Fighters, Luke yells to Han "Hey, I got one." We thought Han shouted back. "That's great kid, now go get Cocky." We wanted to know which of the Tie Fighters was "Cocky," and how did Han know his name? :oops:

We eventually ended up naming our pet cockatiel "Cocky". :D

Paul Beardsley
2003-Nov-13, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of a patriotic youth named Cocky signing up for the Imperial navy only to have Han Solo casually delegate his death to a young Jedi. The imaginary versus real Alien was particularly illuminating too.

I'm especially interested in misunderstandings that result in interpretations that are so wrong they are new stories in their own right.

Another of my own misunderstandings that springs to mind... When I was 9 or 10, back in the early 1970s, the BBC broadcast a repeat of the Doctor Who story The Daemons. This was probably the first story I watched (almost) properly, so I had no idea that the Master was an established villain who had done all sorts of evil acts that almost resulted in the destruction of the world.

In the Daemons, he enacts various Satanic rituals to summon an alien on whom humanity based the devil. All this went over my head. At the end, the Master is arrested. I assumed this was solely because of his devil worshipping - and being a good Roman Catholic, I nodded my head wisely thinking, "Quite right too!"

Another Doctor Who story - one with Daleks - was filmed at an IBM site a couple of miles from where I was living. Despite the fact that the Doctor said something like, "Well, Peri, here we are on the planet Nekros," I assumed that because it was filmed locally, it must therefore be set locally. All quite forgivable if I'd been 10 years old, but I was actually a week away from my 22nd birthday.

NASA Fan
2003-Nov-14, 01:50 AM
I have made many such mistakes, fortunately I have blocked most of them from memeory.

I have misunderstood things that have been read out loud--especially when I was new to this country.

Out English teacher read a story where the one guy after conquiring the enemy cut of the (I heard) boarskins of the guys. I asked what a boarskin was and learned that I had misunderstood--substitute an "F" for the "b" to figure out what I should have heard.

Incidentially when I fist saw Star Wars, I was confused by Han Solos name. I saw the movie with Danish subtitles. In Danish the word "han" means "he." So I would read something like (I can't remember an exact quote, so I will make up my own). "Hey he come look at this" I just could not figure out why they kept calling Solo "he"