PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tire Story

NASA Fan
2003-Nov-14, 03:55 AM
I am woman hear me roar!

I was leaving work today with a femal co-worker, and when we got to her car a male coworker informed us that she had a flat tire. We got to her car and found her spare and the equipment to change her tire. Despite the fact that there were 2 guys there, I did the majority of the work.---Hoo-ah.

OK, now that I am done picking on them, I have to jump to their defense. They were both wearing nice clothes and I was wearing jeans, so it was easier for me to do, since it did not matter if I got dirty. If I had not been there, either one of them would have been happpy to do it.

I also kind of did it to show her that it is possible for a woman to change a tire. It is a nice skill to have if no-one is around to help. No I am not trying to be a feminist, I am happy to accept help from men when I change my own tire.

Last but not least, she had called her dad to let her know that she had a flat tire, and he (being a protective dad) was concerned about too many guys trying to help her (and presumably what they would want as a thank you).

Does anyone have any interesting stories about changing flat tires. (or tyres if you are british).

Musashi
2003-Nov-14, 03:56 AM
All my tire changing stories are boring...

Mr. X
2003-Nov-14, 04:02 AM
I try to do it as little as possible...

Last time I did it I was probably around 10 years old.

Pinemarten
2003-Nov-14, 04:41 AM
I have owned 'beaters' my whole life.
Not because I can't afford better, but because I don't cry when I have to 'shoot' them. :wink:
They are the cheap, fast-food of vehicles.
I have always spent more money on parts, than the cost of the car. Tires and brakes are my main priority.
The one I have to shoot this weekend has 8 tires (w+s), it is being replaced by a $2000CDN beater; which is the most I have spent on a vehicle in my life.
The same car lists on Ebay for $1200-2500USD.
I bought it from a retired gent that replaced it with a new Lincoln. They offered him less than $1000 for trade-in and he knew he could get better privately. He put new tires on it, and a new battery.
I had one flat in my life, on my first car. I realized then that cars are cheaper than tires.
I buy the best, and haven't had a flat since.

Jpax2003
2003-Nov-14, 05:26 AM
It's easy to change a tire. You pick up your cell phone and call AAA.

Actually I have never had to change a tire, although I have had to replace many tires. I just see it getting a leak or bald or something and I take it in.

One time I let it go too long... the tire didn't blow... the entire wheel fell off.

Lesson learned.

Dragonlor
2003-Nov-14, 08:01 AM

Exactly. Why go through all the trouble. :)

darkhunter
2003-Nov-14, 12:50 PM
I know how to change the tire (as well as fix anything else that breaks on it :D

Oh, did I forget to mention I'm a mechanic? :lol:

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-Nov-14, 12:57 PM
Two weeks ago, driving to the future-in-laws, I had a blow out in a desolate part of US 27. The tire went completely flat, just out of work myself I got all of the equipment out of my car and my fiance reminded me that she had AAA and they'd be there in 20 mins give or take. I decided they could probably change it faster than I could; in short we waited. AAA changed the tire to my donut and off we went, hunting for a tire store (I'm not one of the crazy drivers you see driving five or six hundred miles at 70mph on a donut [-X ). The unfortunate thing I have a high performance, metric tire on my car, must have stopped or called five tire companies in the area to see if they had one in stock; but they could all have one for me by Monday. I found Goodyear, God Bless those guys, on Friday afternoon at 3pm, they ordered the tire from their wharehouse 30 or 40 miles away; by 4 o'clock they had it at the store; by 4:10 they had me out the door. Good experiances with those guys, if you need new tires I recommend them to anyone.

Chemist
2003-Nov-14, 02:24 PM
When I first started driving, I had six flat tires in one year. Seems like if there was a nail on the road, I found it. So I've had lots of practice.

I don't see it as a feminist issue to learn how. You would need to do it if a man wasn't available. Better to know how to change your own tire then remain stranded.

bbtuna
2003-Nov-14, 02:57 PM
I never knew how to change a tire until I got married. My hubby didn't want me to get stranded and be totally helpless, so he made me ROTATE the tires. I'd never changed a tire in my life until then. It took a while but i can do change a tire pretty quickly now. I have also learned how to take apart my drum brakes. Stupid things kept pulsing and making noises after we replaced all the parts with new ones.

Laser Jock
2003-Nov-14, 03:50 PM
Does anyone have any interesting stories about changing flat tires.

One summer, my wife and I decided (I blame a short fit of insanity) to drive from Rochester, New York to Fort Collins, Colorado (1600 miles or 2560 km) in two days. We made it to Dixon, IL (FYI, the birthplace of Ronald Reagon) the first day with little trouble. Towards the end of the second day we were still in western Nebraska and my wife was driving. We had had a little rain and there was some road construction which had limited us to a single lane. Because of the traffic barrels, my wife was driving with the right set of tires just about on the shoulder. I saw this large and deep crack appear between the shoulder and the road. I said, "Watch out for the pothole, WATCH OUT FOR THE POTHOLE!! WATCH OUT FOR THE...

BOOM!!

The back right tire was completely shreaded. She assured me that she was watching the pothole ... she watched it go right under the tires. #-o

It turned out that if she was going to destroy one of our tires, she picked a good place to do it. We were only about 100 yards from the exit for Sidney, Nebraska, the largest town for about 60 miles in any direction. The only tire store in town stayed open late (charged me an extra $50 to do so) to replace the tire. So we did make it to Fort Collins later that night, but it was quite the adventure.

Jim
2003-Nov-14, 04:08 PM
A note of caution... Tires have expiration dates.

My father bought my step-mother a new car and very graciuosly gave me the old one, a 1991 Chrysler. He had kept it in excellent condition... regular oil changes and maintenance, new brakes, new a/c, even bought new tires about 10 months earlier.

Two months after I got the car, one of the tires went flat. They were well past their expiration date and all four were suffering from dry rot.

Well, Dad said the tire place gave him a real good price.

Ripper 2.0
2003-Nov-14, 04:09 PM
Not only can I change a tire, I have rebuilt the top end on my motorcycle, mount and balance my own tires...

Never mind. I do not want to blow my own horn. I think everyone should be able to do maintenance on any vehicle they use frequently. They should also be able to do most common repairs.

TriangleMan
2003-Nov-14, 04:14 PM
I don't own a car. :(

Jpax2003
2003-Nov-14, 04:52 PM
Not only can I change a tire, I have rebuilt the top end on my motorcycle, mount and balance my own tires...

Never mind. I do not want to blow my own horn. I think everyone should be able to do maintenance on any vehicle they use frequently. They should also be able to do most common repairs.

I agree, I was once told that if I can fix a computer, then I should be able to fix a car. Yeah, it's all the same, just heavier. I don't need a lift to remove my pentium from the motherboard though.

Captain Kidd
2003-Nov-14, 05:06 PM
Hmm here's a tip. Make sure before you drop the jack that all the nuts engaged the wheel properly. Otherwise you could get to see the wheel go bouncy, bouncy, bouncy. #-o

zebo-the-fat
2003-Nov-14, 06:24 PM
No problem! it's only flat on the bottom!

Ripper 2.0
2003-Nov-14, 06:35 PM
The tire is not flat. The other three are over inflated.

Captain Kidd
2003-Nov-14, 07:08 PM
Hmm, lemme clarify my post. It didn't bounce while driving, it bounced by itself down the road while my..err.. a theoretical car is on the side of the road trying, badly, to impersonate a tricycle.

Bob
2003-Nov-14, 07:16 PM
Here's a flat tire story:
The night before the chemistry final exam, two students partied instead of studying, and slept through the final. They realized they were in serious trouble, so they agreed to tell the professor that they had a flat tire on the way to the exam. ``No problem." said the Professor, ``Come back at 5 P.M. and I'll give you the exam then." Feeling pretty clever, the students spent the intervening time getting information on the exam from students who had already taken it, and making sure they knew how to do the problems. Coming to the professor's office that evening, they were told, ``Sit on opposite sides of the room and I'll give you the exam."
There was one question on the test: which tire was flat?"

frenat
2003-Nov-14, 07:27 PM

Hmm. Change it myself and be on the road again in 15 minutes tops or call AAA wait 3 hours call again to be told they are really backed up, wait anouther 2 hours then be on my way.

Here's a good tire changing story. I was in my freshman year of college and had gotten a ride to my sister's house for Thanksgiving. Her house was 4 hours away. I got a ride with 4 very attractive young ladies that happened to be going somewhere near there. The tire disintegrated about halfway there and of cours I was th only one who knew how to change it. Hmm, loving admiration of 4 beautiful girls or wait for AAA, tough choice. When almost done a cop stopped and asked if we needed any help (I think he thought the girls were cute too, and saw them standing around looking at it while I was behind the car actually changing it). I sent him on his way.

Ripper 2.0
2003-Nov-14, 07:34 PM
Good story. The last time I stopped to help a lady in distress she was about 70.

darkhunter
2003-Nov-15, 05:57 PM
#-o

Automatic transmissions are the the spawn of Satan :evil:

Had my Exploder MOT'ed today (yearly vehicle inspction in the UK) Got home, got the familly, and tried to go get a Christmas tree. I say tried because it wouldn't go into reverse (it actually creeps forward) .

Dropped the pan, and found a small rod (like the one that engages the reverse gear) in peices in the pan...

Also, for any of you who happen to design automatic transmissions: allow me to intoroduce you to a nifty little piece of technology--it's been around for many years on engines: it's called a "Drain Plug" and allows you to drain the fluid out of something without dumping the fluid all over creation.

edit: looks like around $2000 for a new tranny--still researching to see if a rebuild kit has the part I need....

edit: the $2000 is just the tranny--I'll be doing all the work...I miss salvage yards :cry:

Wally
2003-Nov-15, 08:21 PM
Here's a flat tire story:
The night before the chemistry final exam, two students partied instead of studying, and slept through the final. They realized they were in serious trouble, so they agreed to tell the professor that they had a flat tire on the way to the exam. ``No problem." said the Professor, ``Come back at 5 P.M. and I'll give you the exam then." Feeling pretty clever, the students spent the intervening time getting information on the exam from students who had already taken it, and making sure they knew how to do the problems. Coming to the professor's office that evening, they were told, ``Sit on opposite sides of the room and I'll give you the exam."
There was one question on the test: which tire was flat?"

Someone should make this a poll. for some reason, I'm thinking a majority would say front-left if forced into elaborating on this lie. Perhaps it just jumped to mind being the nearest tire to the driver. Anyone else?

man on the moon
2003-Nov-16, 12:33 AM
darkhunter, while you're at it maybe you should just change the tranny to manual. it's a bit more work now, but a heck of a lot easier to maintain later. and a lot more fun to drive!

as far as changing tires, i've never had to do one on the side of a road, but i have done my fair share in parking lots. average probably one a month here at school.

sometimes, like frenat said, they are lovely young ladies. and no, i don't ask anything in return. well, i still know some of them, but i don't ask anything that could get me in trouble.

my wife (well, girlfriend first) will know how to change a tire and oil. and check the fluids. and do a jumpstart. and oh yeah, she'll be able to open the car without keys so if she ever gets locked out. (there are ways...)

Jim
2003-Nov-16, 12:40 AM
A man's driving down a deserted country road when he has a blowout. (We'll make it the left front.) As he pulls to the shoulder, he notices a 12' tall chainlink fence running beside the road and into the distance. On it is a sign which reads "State Mental Institution". Leaning against the fence, fingers entwined in the links, face pressed against them, is a middle aged man in a white inmate's uniform.

With this audience, the driver nervously begins to change his flat. He pulls out the jack and spare, pops the hub cap, raises the car, and takes off the four lug nuts, placing them carefully in the upturned hub cap. he pulls off the flat and rolls it to the back of the car.

Just then, another car comes whizzing by, catching the edge of the hub cap, flipping it into the air and sending the lug nuts across the road and into the bushes.

The driver looks frantically for the lug nuts, but has no success. After 30 minutes looking, all under the watchful eyes of the inmate, he is about to begin the long hike into town, when he hears...

"Uh, excuse me," says the inmate. "Why don't you take one nut off each of the other three tires and use them on that one? That should work well enough for you to drive into town and get a new set."

"Yes, it would," says the stunned driver. "I never would have thought of that. But, if you can think like that, why are you... in there?"

"Mister," replies the inmate, "I'm crazy, not stupid."

SAMU
2003-Nov-16, 04:03 AM
So I take it that all that moaning about "not being able to change the tire like a man can because women don't have the upper body strength" was just a feminine hoax? [-X

So it's the "know how" (mental power) or the "willingness to do it" (drive) that has always been the real issue. Just like we (men and women) always knew it was. :roll:

decarmony
2003-Nov-16, 04:19 AM
I was also thinking front left as the best gamble.

Roy Batty
2003-Nov-16, 01:59 PM
Difficult poll.. hmm, No. no wait, Yes. I mean No.
Ive got it! There is no tire, right? 8)

NASA Fan
2003-Nov-16, 02:19 PM
So I take it that all that moaning about "not being able to change the tire like a man can because women don't have the upper body strength" was just a feminine hoax? [-X

So it's the "know how" (mental power) or the "willingness to do it" (drive) that has always been the real issue. Just like we (men and women) always knew it was. :roll:

Well I will say this in defense of everyone who lacks a certain amount of upper body strength, that I think that is a valid defense. Why? when the tire places put the tire on they use pneumatic machinery to attatch the lugnuts, and it is darn hard to get them loosened, I have had to threaten my car with bodily harm to get them loose--and yes it worked. Now do I really believe that my car understood me, no I think my added frustration and patience just paid of at the right time.

darkhunter
2003-Nov-16, 03:30 PM
darkhunter, while you're at it maybe you should just change the tranny to manual. it's a bit more work now, but a heck of a lot easier to maintain later. and a lot more fun to drive!

If it were up to me I would (I've done it before after killing three automatic trannys in a month with my first truck--I've prefed manuals ever since). My main problem is getting the parts here--if I was in the states it wouldn't be a problem--I'd have already gotten to a salvage yard and picked up a complete engine and transmission (using the transmission conversion as an excuse to upgrade to a V-8 :D ) and gone to NAPA to get anything else I need. But, in the UK, it is harder to get the parts I need for an American vehicle.

But I've got some time to play with--picked up a used car for a good price (it was a trade in and the dealer doesn't sell cars that "old" (it a 1989--from my point of veiw practically new).

Oh--flat tires....had to change two tires on the side of the road a few years ago within a week of each other. they were still round, but all the tread blew off. First time it happened, heard a load bang, stopped the car and looked it over, checked the driveshaft, rear end, and all. After looking at the tire at least three times noticed that it was missing bits of tread.....

darkhunter
2003-Nov-16, 03:36 PM

Well I will say this in defense of everyone who lacks a certain amount of upper body strength, that I think that is a valid defense. Why? when the tire places put the tire on they use pneumatic machinery to attatch the lugnuts, and it is darn hard to get them loosened, I have had to threaten my car with bodily harm to get them loose--and yes it worked. Now do I really believe that my car understood me, no I think my added frustration and patience just paid of at the right time.

If your tire place uses impact wrenches (air wrenches) to put the lug nuts on, don't let them, especially if you have disk brakes. The lug nuts have a specific torque they need to be at--put more on them (like using an impact wrench) and you'll warp the brake disk. If you can't get them off, they're too tight. (Had that happen once--had a buddy of mine[200+ pounds] jumping on the end of the four way trying to change a tire--and it still took a lot of effort)

Also, if the lug nut gets cross threaded, an impact wrench will still tighten it down. (I know someone that had that happen to her--she broke the stud off trying to loosen the lug nut)

edit...I know mechanics that are woemen--they are just as capable as men.

decarmony
2003-Nov-16, 06:03 PM
What would you do if you were changing a tire on the side of an incline leading to water and the hub cap you placed the lugnuts in slid down and you lost all five lugnuts to the water?

Musashi
2003-Nov-16, 06:25 PM
If you couldn't recover them you could take a lug from each of the other tires as a temporary fix.

freddo
2003-Nov-16, 11:30 PM
Musashi is crazy, not stupid.

Musashi
2003-Nov-16, 11:32 PM
Thanks, I think :)

And when I say a temporary fix, I mean extremely temporary. Like drive to the auto parts store ASAP temporary.

freddo
2003-Nov-16, 11:47 PM
Thanks, I think

Above you, good sir! (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=167761#167761)

Musashi
2003-Nov-17, 01:06 AM
Ah! I guess it helps to read the OP. :)

man on the moon
2003-Nov-17, 01:34 AM
What would you do if you were changing a tire on the side of an incline leading to water and the hub cap you placed the lugnuts in slid down and you lost all five lugnuts to the water?

i'd do one of two things. first, if the incline is enough to make a hubcap slide down it, it is probably too steep for you to jack the car up safely...also if the hubcap were going to slide it would do it long before you had all the lugs off. well, it probably would. it could also be angry at you and be waiting for you to get them all off before it let go...

if say, the car were on top and the incline started at the edge of the tire, i'd either hope the hubcap floated or would start out by putting it in the backseat of the car so it wouldn't run away.

eljefelopez
2003-Nov-17, 03:26 AM
decarmony wrote:

I would run screaming for my tin foil hat. Obviously the hubcap slid down the incline due to the beginning of the physical shift of the Earth's poles caused by the arrival of PX.

Save yourselves!

man on the moon
2003-Nov-17, 05:29 AM
Obviously the hubcap slid down the incline due to the beginning of the physical shift of the Earth's poles caused by the arrival of PX.

Save yourselves!

or maybe the magnetic shift excited it's inner self and it decided to make a name for itself in a large city nearby, taking your poor slave driven lugnuts with it.

sadly, it didn't realize there was a bay in the way...

waynek
2003-Nov-17, 06:17 AM
First of all, this isn't a commercial, and I don't work for this company, but I've found a product that everyone needs to have for tire changing, especially those lacking in upper body strength. I should buy stock in this company though, because I've bought one for everyone in my family.

Everyone needs one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36175
They go on sale for $20 pretty regularly too.

Quick story: I got one of these to test it, and it worked so well I got a second one. Then my in-laws wanted a couple, so I took them up to where they live. I hadn't packed my own for the trip since I already had two in the car. Well, on the way back home from their house I had a blow out. First time in weeks that I'd gone anywhere without one, and that's when the tire blew. #-o
I haven't so much as gone to the store without one since. My wife likes hers so much, she's even been known to stop and help other people change their tires (including a young guy who was having trouble, how's that for turnabout?) I made sure she already knew how to change her tire (and oil, and spark plugs, hey, she LIKES not being helpless) but now she can actually do it without jumping on the tire iron.

For the technical minded: This impact is very clever since it doesn't have much power to work with. It "spins up" a flywheel each time and delivers it's 150 ft-lbs about once every four seconds. You gotta love angular momentum. I haven't seen a lug nut yet it couldn't loosen in 3 or 4 whacks.

man on the moon
2003-Nov-18, 01:11 AM
angular momentum is great. just covered it in physics. :D

for something that won't run out of power (but takes more space, especially in a small car) a four foot section of metal pipe slid over the end of the tire iron will also work.

also isn't nearly as cool looking or fun and such. :(

frenat
2003-Nov-18, 04:01 AM
Anybody else really hate those donuts the manufacturer thinks is an acceptable spare? On my last car I bought a full size rim at a junkyard for 10 bucks then when I got new tires had the best of the old put on it and got rid of the donut. Sadly a full size wheel/tire will not fit in the spare tire space in my current car. :(

waynek
2003-Nov-18, 04:27 AM
Anybody else really hate those donuts the manufacturer thinks is an acceptable spare?

This is one of the things I like about old cars. All my cars have full size spares. Donuts are for breakfast.

for something that won't run out of power (but takes more space, especially in a small car) a four foot section of metal pipe slid over the end of the tire iron will also work.

That works too, but since the 12V impact works off the car battery, if it runs out of power you have more problems than a flat tire. :o

Kizarvexis
2003-Nov-18, 06:06 AM
All my tire stories are boring, but my wife is lucky.

She was driving through downtown Tampa very early on Saturday morning after dropping me off at work, 7:30ish or so. She blew a tire on her Geo and nobody is around. Nothing open in downtown Tampa then on a weekend. She gets out of the car, she was very pregnant at the time, to inspect the flat tires. Who should appear over the bridge behind her, but a tow truck. I would drive through downtown on Saturdays and never see anyone there for a month or more. She does it once and has a tow truck show up not two minutes after she gets a flat!

Now if I could only get her to play LOTTO. :)

Kizarvexis

Mr. X
2003-Nov-18, 03:15 PM
The unfortunate thing I have a high performance, metric tire on my car, must have stopped or called five tire companies in the area to see if they had one in stock; but they could all have one for me by Monday.
Uh... you drive a Maserati or something like that?

These dimensions: P225/60R16 and those like this?