PDA

View Full Version : Strange lights in the sky

Chaos
2008-Dec-31, 11:45 PM
Hi,

I´m not sure if this is the right subforum for that...

I just saw a couple of strange lights in the sky. Yeah, I know, such a thing is to be expected on New Year´s Day shortly after midnight, but stilll... I, for one, am completely puzzled as to what these might be.

They were several lights, I think 7 or 8 over a period of a few minutes, hovering in the sky, apparently above the level of any fireworks (which around here would mean perhaps 100+ meters), and slowly drifting northward. I never watched any of them appear or disappear, I just noticed them being there, or no longer being there when I had just looked elsewhere.

The lights were orange, going on red; their color did not match any of those produced by all the other fireworks, which is how I noticed the first of them. With the first, I thought it was an airplane, but it wasn´t going in a straight line as an airplane does, nor did they blink like helicopter lights do, and I think if they were helicopters, I´d have heard *something*. Plus this would be a crazy time to be out with a helicopter... Anyway, some of the lights seemed to be closer than others, or perhaps were simply larger, and those lights seemed to flicker slightly, like a campfire would.

It´s really hard to imagine how far away they were, without knowing how big they were, or vice versa for that matter. The closest light moved across a 45° angle of the sky within maybe a minute; the others were either slower or further away, and some of them never moved at all.

My father and my brother saw them, too; we´re all pretty sure they´re neither planes nor helicopters. It might conceivably have been some kind of flares on parachute, but we have no clue what they might possibly have been doing here - as fireworks go, they´re incredibly lame. I´m kinda proud to say, though, that none of us mentioned flying saucers or anything. :)

So, do any of you guys have any suggestions as to what we´ve seen here?

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-01, 12:36 AM
Orange light...flickers slightly...drifting slowly...

...could by sky lanterns (http://www.skylanterns.com/).

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-01, 12:56 AM
Hello!! Happy new year! Ok, It was about 11:45pm, 15 minuties until new year 2009 and i was watching the sky for fireworks and i too saw 7 orange glowing lights in the sky flying single file formation, coming from the east and then curving slowly to the south and then vanishing. ive just come on to the internet to research what i have just seen and i found this forum and it seems im not alone, very interesting. i heard no noises, no flashing lights, to me what i saw looked to be rocket flames, burning brighter and brighter and then fading, to me at first i thought it was a missle attack ( i live very close to a nuclear submarine base ) and then i thought it could be some sort of space craft or.. something. i dont know, but it looked unlike anything i have ever seen!!!! I live near Glasgow in Scotland

slang
2009-Jan-01, 01:05 AM
Emergency flares, as carried on ships, behave as the OP describes. It's common (but illegal) to shoot up those that can no longer be used (due-by date, or whatever it's called) on new year's eve, here anyway. Saw a couple here tonight, they go up much higher than regular fireworks rockets, and float for a long time.

Happy New Year and welcome to the board, aquarius6010!

Hello!
2009-Jan-01, 01:52 AM
Hello - we are just back from the Edinburgh Street party and noticed some very bizarre lights in the sky, very similar to what you are describing. However, we saw three bright orange lights just after midnight. They formed a perfect triangle shaped, which moved/rotated slightly and then moved away from each other. They all disappeared (not at the same time) because the sky was not very clear.

Hello!
2009-Jan-01, 01:56 AM
We've been doing some google research and have found the following article:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/UFO-mystery-in-the-sky.3981213.jp

eburacum45
2009-Jan-01, 09:15 AM
Yes; I would definitely suspect sky lanterns. These are paper balloons heated by small flames which are increasingly used during celebrations these days; a small flight of them looks like a fleet of UFOs, and eventually they go out, which makes them seemingly disappear.
http://www.fiestaskylanterns.com/

Chaos
2009-Jan-01, 11:06 AM
Yes, these look similar enough to what I saw. You´re probably right.

Thank you very much for your replies, everybody.

Oldish Git
2009-Jan-01, 02:53 PM
Hello!! Happy new year! Ok, It was about 11:45pm, 15 minuties until new year 2009 and i was watching the sky for fireworks and i too saw 7 orange glowing lights in the sky flying single file formation, coming from the east and then curving slowly to the south and then vanishing. ive just come on to the internet to research what i have just seen and i found this forum and it seems im not alone, very interesting. i heard no noises, no flashing lights, to me what i saw looked to be rocket flames, burning brighter and brighter and then fading, to me at first i thought it was a missle attack ( i live very close to a nuclear submarine base ) and then i thought it could be some sort of space craft or.. something. i dont know, but it looked unlike anything i have ever seen!!!! I live near Glasgow in Scotland

Hi everyone,

I have just registered here because I also saw one of these orange lights in the sky in the early hours of this morning. I also live near Glasgow in Scotland.

It was 1st Jan 2009 around 0130 I was outside the front door looking Northwards and I saw this bright orange light, silent and moving southerly towards me, it lasted about 3 minutes so i had time to call other people out to see it, we were all a bit puzzled by it. It then swung round SWesterly and seemed to climb quickly and then disappeared. Weird cos it was silent (wasn't an aircraft) I too though it may be a helicopter but again, silent and at the distance we estimated we would have heard rotor slap easily. No flashing lights so I though satellite but the colour was odd, like an orange street light. Any other satellites I have seen are always white. Could it have been reflecting an orange glow from the sun? The other thing I have never seen a satellite do is change direction like this did. It was definately moving under it's own power and not in orbit.

The weather was calm and the temp was around minus 4 degrees Celcius.

I too have felt the need to search the internet to see if others witnessed this phenomenon, we did joke that it might be ET going home for new year but none of us were spooked by it, more puzzled and intrigued.

I would like to hear if anyone else saw this around the same, I live 8 miles east of Glasgow, I would also be interested in reading any suggestions as to what this may have been.

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year.

Regards

OG

eburacum45
2009-Jan-01, 04:48 PM
Especially the 'dissapearance' at the end suggests a sky lantern to me. I might try setting some off, just to see if anyone notices them - they don't seem to be too hard to make, although they are quite cheap to buy.

trinitree88
2009-Jan-01, 05:25 PM
In the sixties, they used to cross two kite sticks, and make a wire hoop. Attach a dry cleaners bag to the hoop. Drill lots of little notches to hold birthday candles in the sticks. Light the candles. Hold open the upper part of the bag. Voila. Hot air ballon UFO. A number of fires were started by them, both house and forest. Dumb stunt, still going on.

gorjessprincess
2009-Jan-01, 06:35 PM
i am just seeing the exact same thing im quite freaked out, there is two where i live in the sky and about 5 in the distance about an hour away! im no where near scotland as i live in wakefield,some the things light up reallly brightly then they go completley black theres 3 in like a curved position and one way to the right of them, one is above them, and the two that are near me keep fading out and then bright again, they have been there for about an hour now, no sound coming from them at all.

wavie1
2009-Jan-02, 01:08 PM
I am glad others witnessed these lights too. My Wife and I were looking at the New Year fireworks from our livingroom window at about 00:02 on Dec 31st 2008 and saw some strange lights. There were 4 orange balls flying in formation from the Costorphine hill direction over to Craiglockart hill and onwards. 3 of them were in a triangular shape with one slightly higher, but all moving at the same speed. These were much higher than the fireworks we could see all around. The 4 balls moved slowly and silently on a south Easternly direction, and eventually passed through the clouds out of view.

Later, approximately 15 minutes later, we saw 7 or 8 balls of light from our back garden. These were travelling in a North Westernly direction from The Pentland Hills area (though more from Straiton area rather than over the hills). Again these were silent, appeared not to be in any formation, travelling at different speeds an heights. One was much brighter than the others. These again moved slowly towards us and upwards until they again passed through clouds and out of view.

My wife and I can be described as a little sceptical, we aint believers of this kind of stuff and never have been. We have spoken about it constantly since and are surprised it has not been reported more in the news since thousands of people watching fireworks across the city must have seen these lights too.

I have scoured the web and found so many similar stories, in particular about orange balls/speres over Edinburgh. So this is not just a one off, it has been repeated many times over the last few months/years. I do not believe that it was 'flying saucers' but it was certainly something we could not identify. There must be an explanation - it was NOT fireworks or chinese lanterns. The lights dissected the flight path into Edinburgh airport so perhaps there may be someone somewhere who has a solid and real explanation.

tickety-boo
2009-Jan-02, 01:54 PM
I too have been hunting for some news regarding these lights and this is the only place I've found anything. My daughter called me at around 1.15am on New Year's Day to get me to come and see these lights. I've read up on the Chinese Sky Lanterns and sorry, I don't think it was that as from what I could see, these things were flying in formation, not floating randomly. We're in the Leith area with a good view over the city at the back of the house and the lights, which were very bright fiery orange, floated up from around the Corstorphine Hill direction then appeared to form themselves into "constellations" - the first thing my daughter saw resembled the plough, and by the time I came through to watch it looked like Orion. It reminded me of the sort of movements a helicopter could make but it definitely wasn't helicopters. The lights would float steadily into position then stop for a while before slowly drifting upwards and disappearing. My partner reckoned it was balloons tied together but they didn't all move in the same direction at the same time.

I would be very interested to know what it was and I'm surprised it hasn't been reported by Radio Forth or in the Evening News.

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-02, 04:20 PM
I am glad others witnessed these lights too. My Wife and I were looking at the New Year fireworks from our livingroom window at about 00:02 on Dec 31st 2008 and saw some strange lights. There were 4 orange balls flying in formation from the Costorphine hill direction over to Craiglockart hill and onwards. 3 of them were in a triangular shape with one slightly higher, but all moving at the same speed. These were much higher than the fireworks we could see all around. The 4 balls moved slowly and silently on a south Easternly direction, and eventually passed through the clouds out of view.

Later, approximately 15 minutes later, we saw 7 or 8 balls of light from our back garden. These were travelling in a North Westernly direction from The Pentland Hills area (though more from Straiton area rather than over the hills). Again these were silent, appeared not to be in any formation, travelling at different speeds an heights. One was much brighter than the others. These again moved slowly towards us and upwards until they again passed through clouds and out of view.

My wife and I can be described as a little sceptical, we aint believers of this kind of stuff and never have been. We have spoken about it constantly since and are surprised it has not been reported more in the news since thousands of people watching fireworks across the city must have seen these lights too.

I have scoured the web and found so many similar stories, in particular about orange balls/speres over Edinburgh. So this is not just a one off, it has been repeated many times over the last few months/years. I do not believe that it was 'flying saucers' but it was certainly something we could not identify. There must be an explanation - it was NOT fireworks or chinese lanterns. The lights dissected the flight path into Edinburgh airport so perhaps there may be someone somewhere who has a solid and real explanation.

the lights i saw looked as though they were following the flight path in and out of glasgow airport

julie s
2009-Jan-02, 05:07 PM
Traveling home after work at 0015 heading northeast I spotted five orange lights in the sky evenly spaced apart and traveling north. They were orange and then glowed red and diappeared upward and into cloud cover. This occurred in Madison Wiscon USA. Total viewing time approx 3 min.

eburacum45
2009-Jan-02, 05:15 PM
it was NOT fireworks or chinese lanternsWhat makes you so sure it was not sky lanterns, if you don't mind me asking? Have you seen sky lanterns before?

eburacum45
2009-Jan-02, 05:24 PM
I've read up on the Chinese Sky Lanterns and sorry, I don't think it was that as from what I could see, these things were flying in formation, not floating randomly. .They do that very often. There are many reports of sky lanterns on the Internet, and the witnesses often report that the lights appear to fly in formation- but this is just an illusion. The lights are simply flying with the wind, at the same speed, in similar conditions; there should be no surprise that they appear to move in formation.

Any group of orange lights moving across the sky, which disappear after a while, are very likely indeed to be sky lanterns; honestly, during this period of New Years Eve celebrations, I would expect such sightings to be very common (and they are).

Some examples (from many many more)
Coppull 'UFOs' were sky lanterns (http://www.chorleycitizen.co.uk/news/coppull/3782928.Coppull__UFOs__were_sky_lanterns/)
Teenager's party blamed for UFO mystery (http://heritage.scotsman.com/myths/Teenager39s-party-blamed-for-.4009995.jp)
The truth revealed! (http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/The-truth-revealed.1683317.jp)
UFO sightings bring town to a standstill (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-470579/UFO-sightings-bring-town-standstill.html)
A page about UFO reports caused by sky lanterns, with many examples (http://www.ufo-blog.com/ifos/ufo_balloons/ifo_ufo_balloons.htm)
Lanterns spark UFO scare (http://www.citizen-series.co.uk/news/584521.lanterns_spark_ufo_scare/)

gorjessprincess
2009-Jan-02, 06:05 PM
No the things i saw were not lanterns either, plus in the middle of the countryside when there is not many houses at all i very much doubt they were! they were flying in a formation, they faded right out and then went bright again, im not a big believer of aliens but what i saw was weird, maybe some type of military testing or something.

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-02, 07:02 PM
ive never seen sky lanterns myself but these things looked pretty big and seemed to be travelling around 100mph or thereabouts, at the time there was no wind at all, it was dead still. Ive never heard of anyone using sky lanterns here, ever. as i said before they were taking the same route as inbound planes into glasgow international airport

Gillianren
2009-Jan-02, 07:31 PM
There was no wind at ground level. Wind speeds do vary by altitude.

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-02, 07:45 PM
i live at a very high altitude

MeintheUSA
2009-Jan-02, 08:03 PM
We are in the USA on the east coast. A friend was telling me that they saw 3 lights in a triangle formation shortly after midnight that made no noise at all and moved with the horizon until they disappeard from sight. After searching the internet, we found that people on the west coast saw the same thing.

Gillianren
2009-Jan-02, 09:41 PM

Yes, but I guarantee you that the atmosphere goes way higher.

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-02, 11:46 PM
yeah well they were at my level!!

pzkpfw
2009-Jan-02, 11:48 PM
yeah well they were at my level!!

How was this measured?

Were they above you, but close?

Or far away as-the-crow-flies, and it seemed you were looking at them horizontally (i.e. not up or down)?

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-03, 12:32 AM
they were obviously very far away from me and seemed to go from below my level which is about 1500ft and then rose above me, curving around in the sky like a centipede, it looked like a very controlled, precise maneuver , maybe it was the red arrows flying around for new year but there was no sound

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-03, 12:43 AM
heres some more links to articles about this thing

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4014335.Orange_lights_over_Bournemouth_usher_in_a_ new_year/

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message695894/pg1

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081231230746AAyg34Y

i'll estimate about a million people saw this

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-03, 01:28 AM
...these things looked pretty big and seemed to be travelling around 100mph or thereabouts...

What method did you use to judge how fast they were going?

...at the time there was no wind at all, it was dead still.

What were the winds aloft? You may live at high altitude but you still live on the ground. Often, one doesn't have to go very high to find markedly different wind than what's experienced at ground level. I live about 750 feet up the foot of a mountain myself and it's not unusual for it to be calm on the ground while there is significant wind at tree-top level.

they were obviously very far away from me and seemed to go from below my level which is about 1500ft and then rose above me, curving around in the sky like a centipede, it looked like a very controlled, precise maneuver , maybe it was the red arrows flying around for new year but there was no sound

Obviously how far away? The actual distance can have a pretty big impact on your speed and altitude estimates.

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-03, 02:24 AM
its classified

Van Rijn
2009-Jan-03, 08:38 AM
its classified

What is? It's extremely important that you be able to say how you measured distance and speed. These are very commonly misjudged.

eburacum45
2009-Jan-03, 09:41 AM
The phenomenology of these sky lanterns is interesting. Over the last five years a number of retailers have been offering them for sale for use at celebrations in the UK; they were very rarely seen before that time. But recently they have been used relatively often, and almost every time someone sets them off there is a rash of UFO sightings, almost always described as 'yellow or orange' lights flying 'in formation' which 'disappear' after a while.

This type of sighting was relatively rare before the widespread use of sky lanterns; on occasion a flight of geese flying at night would produce the same sort of effect- I've seen such a flock, and illuminated by orange streetlights they do look very odd indeed in the night sky, although the occasional 'gronk' from the birds might give the game away.

So there is a small chance that a sighting of yellow or orange lights flying in formation was in fact caused by geese, but on New Year's Eve the chances are that these lights were deliberately released sky lanterns.

eburacum45
2009-Jan-03, 10:06 AM
Of course there is no way of judging the distance of an unknown object at night without additional information. The maximum distance at which the distance of an object can be judged accurately by just using your two eyes alone is about 100 metres. Beyond that, objects can be any size or distance. But additional information can allow the observer to establish a range of distances.

If, for instance, the lights passed between the observer and a distant object, then a range can be established; if, for instance the object comes between the observer and a range of hills five kilometers distant, then you can know for certain that the objects were somewhere between 100 metres and 5000 metres away. So an object which is 1 metre across at 100 metres range would look identical to an object 50 metres across 5 kilometres away in those circumstances. There is literally no way of telling the difference from a single viewpoint.

aquarius6010
2009-Jan-03, 12:43 PM
What is? It's extremely important that you be able to say how you measured distance and speed. These are very commonly misjudged.

i measured with a measuring tape and a speedometer

[comment removed by moderator]

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-03, 05:15 PM
aquarius6010,

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read the rules for posting to BAUT (http://www.bautforum.com/about-baut/32864-rules-posting-board.html). I removed the final comment from your post above because it contained masked bad language and an insult, in violation of rules 2 and 3. This is an official warning. If you don't abide by these rules, you won't be able to post here.

speedfreek
2009-Jan-03, 06:05 PM
heres some more links to articles about this thing

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4014335.Orange_lights_over_Bournemouth_usher_in_a_ new_year/

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message695894/pg1

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081231230746AAyg34Y

i'll estimate about a million people saw this

It is amazing how many people seem to want to believe these things are extra-terrestrial in origin, considering that they were probably chinese lanterns.

For instance, in the top link we get:

One explanation is that the lights were Chinese lanterns released to celebrate the festive period.

However, Steve Hawker, secretary of Dorset Earth Mysteries Group, said: “It would be implausible for them (aliens) not to exist.”

:doh:

Unfortunately, it seems the people who own the second link have banned my IP address and I cannot access that site (I have never been there before). There is a note saying my whole ISP is banned, one of the largest ISP's in this country...

:doh:

Ever seen a massive flock of birds who seem to be moving in total unison, all swooping together in seemingly random curves as if somehow they are working as one unit? They are following the air currents, taking the path of least resistance.

Chaos
2009-Jan-03, 08:29 PM
Assuming the lights I saw really were sky lanterns, then I estimate (sky lanterns seem to be about 1/2 meter (20 inches) long) the different lights to have been between 50 and 500 meters (160 to 1600 feet) distant, plus or minus 50%, and between 50 and 150 meters (160 to 500 feet) high, again plus or minus 50%. There was no wind near ground level, at least none that affected the fireworks in any way I could see, but it is conceivable there was some light wind somewhat further up. It is even harder to estimate speed, but I think it was in the vicinity of one meter per second.

I notice I didn´t say where I saw the lights... it was about 10-15 miles southeast of Frankfurt, Germany.

Van Rijn
2009-Jan-04, 12:52 AM
i measured with a measuring tape and a speedometer

[comment removed by moderator]

I asked an honest question. Why the hostile response? Anyway, given your unlikely answer, I take it that you had no references for measuring distance and speed.

jenny kiernan
2009-Jan-04, 01:30 AM
Hi i'm new to the forum, i witnessed strange orange lights tonight in the sky whilst out working and at first my collegue and i thought it was planes or maybe helicopters but there was no noise at all it was very strange and rather exciting for me, they were all moving in a straight line at an average speed, but they honestly seemed to be moving upwards into a strange cloud and they just disappeared, its hard for me to explain as i'm no scientist but they didn't move upwards like a plane or as a helicopter would manouver,

the funniest thing about it was my collegue and i met to young people who had also witnessed it but they had recorded it on their phone but the lights were moving around all over the place and they had asked us "what was they things that killed off the dinasaurs?" they were meaning meteorites coming to get us(sorry i'm hopeless at spelling)

anyway i found it fascinating and i really want to know what it was can some clever person tell me a good explanation for this as i dare to let my imagination run away from me and believe it was some other thing i dare not say it?:(

jenny kiernan
2009-Jan-04, 01:35 AM
is anyone here on the forum im really really new to this and really can't sleep thinking about this??

jenny kiernan
2009-Jan-04, 01:38 AM
ok i will try again tomorrow

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-04, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the BAUT forum, Jenny. This isn't a real-time chat site, so it usually takes more than 5 or 10 minutes for you to get a response. Sometimes it is that quick during peak hours but but right now, members in many different time zones are having dinner, getting ready for bed, or have long been in bed. While you wait, if you haven't already done so, please take some time to read the Rules For Posting To This Board (http://www.bautforum.com/about-baut/32864-rules-posting-board.html). You haven't done anything wrong but our rules are different than many other forums on the Internet.

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-04, 01:49 AM
Now, regarding your question...did you read the posts prior to yours? A likely explanation was mentioned earlier: sky lanterns. They usually have a yellow-to-orange color, move silently with the prevailing winds, and very well could rise into lower clouds.

slang
2009-Jan-04, 01:52 AM
And of course they'd be moving around like crazy on a phone movie recording.. unless of course they had their phones mounted on a tripod. I assume they did not.

Chaos
2009-Jan-04, 11:06 AM
And don´t worry about it having being meteorites... those tend to move straight down pretty quickly. They also tend to leave craters when they hit the ground.

If another dinosaur-killer-sized object were to hit the earth, chances are it would hit us before noticed it was coming.

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-04, 05:29 PM
If another dinosaur-killer-sized object were to hit the earth, chances are it would hit us before noticed it was coming.

I think the opposite is likely to be the case. We're getting pretty good at tracking and cataloging Near Earth Objects (http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/neo_main.cfm). Unless a large extra-Solar object comes along and smacks us on it's first loop through the system, I think chances are pretty fair that we'll see it coming.

Also don't forget that it isn't just asteroids or meteoroids that could cause an extinction event. Comets pack a pretty mean wallop, too and we won't have any trouble seeing one of those coming.

jenny kiernan
2009-Jan-05, 04:27 AM
Now, regarding your question...did you read the posts prior to yours? A likely explanation was mentioned earlier: sky lanterns. They usually have a yellow-to-orange color, move silently with the prevailing winds, and very well could rise into lower clouds.

thank you for your reply sorry for being a bit impatient the other night i feel a bit silly now but thank you, i have never witnessed anything like that before and i was a bit excited about the whole thing!

jenny

Jerry
2009-Jan-05, 04:42 AM
I don't want to post what we used to do to simulate UFOs. Only to say that the type of phenoms described are easy to create, though not always legal and of slight risk to aircraft.

That said, think of a large dark balloon with small rockets and/or torches attached.

astromark
2009-Jan-05, 08:43 AM
School holidays and end of collage year, or even just plain old having a lauph...
Go to the edge of town on the upwind side, launching these objects at regular intervals during the first few hours of darkness and yes some excitement is to be had... Local police get called and the observatory is rung... We have better things to do. Please do not do this. Its not so funny after the tenth time.... and could start all sorts of real trouble. Bush fires and air accidents included. But if you must. In a off shore wind at the beach away from air traffic routs... yaa, its cool.
This is what this post is about. Otherwise 'they' have landed.

NEOWatcher
2009-Jan-05, 02:33 PM
I think the problem is that the Earth's orbit is in the way of a Galactic highway. We should do something about that right away.
I'm not sure how much we would need to change the orbit, because the highway intersects at the two points that line up with July 4, and Dec 31. That means the highway passes quite close to the sun, so maybe there's an inclination change that we can do to avoid it.:whistle:

There's been two very valid explainations here.
1) The popularity of sky lanterns increasing for celebrations (as in New Years)
2) For those Scottish folks, a valid mention of a flight path change (clouded by comments of others that didn't know this) (Hello!'s post #6)

I also wanted to mention that the picture on that article was in twilight. That increases the odds that it could also be a reflection of something in the sun at altitude over land already out of the sun.

Swift
2009-Jan-05, 02:51 PM
By the way, SkyLanterns is actually a company that sells sky lanterns. Here (http://www.skylanterns.com/skylanterns/) is their website, with photos and a video. Those who have seen strange lights, you might want to check this out, to see if it is what you've seen.

joema
2009-Jan-05, 04:13 PM
...i'll estimate about a million people saw this...
If that many people saw it, it's highly likely some of them photographed or video'd it with high quality consumer or professional equipment. The task is contacting them.

Those who imaged it with quality equipment (e.g, a consumer camcorder with optical stabilization and 40x zoom) probably looked at the results, saw the sky lantern, airplane, balloon -- whatever it was -- and dismissed it.

The video in the supplied link was apparently a cheap camcorder without image stabilization.

A broadcast video camera, quality consumer camcorder, or DSLR with a long lens could likely show details of the object. Probably some of those were used on this object -- the question is how to contact the people who imaged it.

kfkerby
2009-Jul-20, 03:09 AM
has anyone figured out what these were. i just was them here last night (Santa Cruz, CA). wasn't on the news and can't imagine what the heck they were (not lanterns). i was driving and pulled over to whatch several of these bright orange lights slowly move one at a time and fade away. others that pulled over to whatched were puzzled too.

can we figure this out? can i get some answers please?

slang
2009-Jul-20, 07:26 AM
Hi kfkerby, welcome to BAUT.

has anyone figured out what these were.

What does "these" refer to? It seems this thread has several posts of people seeing "strange lights", but I don't think there's any indication that they all saw the same thing.

i just was them here last night (Santa Cruz, CA). wasn't on the news and can't imagine what the heck they were (not lanterns). i was driving and pulled over to whatch several of these bright orange lights slowly move one at a time and fade away. others that pulled over to whatched were puzzled too.

Unless someone from your area reads this and saw the same thing, it's unlikely that you get many answers unless you give some more detail. Like, what time was this at? In which direction did the lights move, did they all move in the same direction? I have no idea what Santa Cruz is like *), if there are rural areas or not, etc. How far could you see them, did they go across the entire sky, or just part of it, how long did it take to travel that part, approximately, etc. What kind of weather was it? Wind? Maybe others have more relevant questions, or maybe you can think of some other detail.

We can try!

*) A quick trip to maps.google.com shows me that it's close to the ocean. Any chance that someone on a ship was shooting some signal flares? I think it's illegal, but some just shoot them when their dates expire.

Van Rijn
2009-Jul-20, 07:46 AM
has anyone figured out what these were. i just was them here last night (Santa Cruz, CA). wasn't on the news and can't imagine what the heck they were (not lanterns).

How did you determine they weren't sky lanterns?

i was driving and pulled over to whatch several of these bright orange lights slowly move one at a time and fade away. others that pulled over to whatched were puzzled too.

It's hard to say without more information, but on the face of it, it sounds similar to a documented case where some guys put flares on balloons:

http://www.bautforum.com/conspiracy-theories/86709-morristown-nj-ufo.html

People saw red/orange lights, lights seemingly forming a triangle, etc. in the sky, and it made it onto a UFO tv show. When suggested, some of the witnesses insisted they weren't flares. However, few people are experts on what flares on balloons (or sky lanterns, for that matter) look like.

It's pretty much a given that other people have done similar things elsewhere, but generally nobody admits to it.

neilzero
2009-Jul-20, 12:33 PM
ET thank those who launch sky lanterns as a cover for our UFO. We do however regret the burned houses and forest which our saucers and your sky lanterns cause. Neil

missbee
2010-Jan-01, 02:25 AM
I saw something very similar in the sky just after midnight, only in Durham in North-East England. It was my curiosity about these lights that led me here.

They were orange, at least six of them, and they travelled slowly from north to south. There was no sound that I could associate with them. It was a bright night with a near full moon, but with snow clouds moving in. Against the clouds, the lights were bright. But after they left cloud cover, they went dark. However, I could still make out what I thought was the shape of something dark in the sky.

Everyone's thoughts and comments have been helpful. Paper lanterns look likely, I think.

2010-Jan-01, 03:10 AM
Everyone's thoughts and comments have been helpful. Paper lanterns look likely, I think.

New year's eve lanterns, for you?

strawb
2010-Jan-01, 12:20 PM
I saw something very similar in the sky just after midnight, only in Durham in North-East England. It was my curiosity about these lights that led me here.

They were orange, at least six of them, and they travelled slowly from north to south. There was no sound that I could associate with them. It was a bright night with a near full moon, but with snow clouds moving in. Against the clouds, the lights were bright. But after they left cloud cover, they went dark. However, I could still make out what I thought was the shape of something dark in the sky.

Just want to say that I've been wondering what these lights are too, as have some friends of mine, but the thing is I live in Drogheda, Ireland. they are exactly as you've all discribed. Just how big are the lanterns? That's what I had assumed them to be. The looked very similar to the ISS but maybe closer, and a different colour. A friend took pics and said he's going to post them on Facebook later, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

strawb
2010-Jan-01, 01:52 PM
I live Drogheda, on the East Coast of Ireland and my husband and I saw them (exactly as described) as did a good few of my friends who weren't with us at the time. A photographer friend said he took pics. Not sure how they turned out yet. I'm really curious. They moved exactly as the International Space Station moves seemed a bit closer, hard to tell how close of course. ANd yes they were orange or pink in colour. We saw about 5.

Sam5
2010-Jan-01, 08:39 PM
Orange light...flickers slightly...drifting slowly...

Too many Newbies.... it doesn't look good.... they are all around the world...

I think maybe the earth was invaded by creatures from the planet Newbie last night!

2010-Jan-01, 11:59 PM
Just how big are the lanterns?

Roughly a sphere of 1 meter diameter, but they vary in size. Many products are offered.

One supplier is: http://www.skylanterns.com/skylanterns/

It looks like most items are currently out of stock, and dates for ordering for reception in time for Christmas and New Year's are given. I am led to believe sky lanterns must be popular during the holidays. Maybe that's why they are being seen so often right now.

Out of stock! We are currently out of stock. Only place order for products if delivery is after the 20th of January 2010. Sorry for the inconvenience.

slang
2010-Jan-02, 12:25 AM
I just saw a couple of these (lanterns) today. Easy to tell what it was because we could see where they were sent up. Similar in appearance to a signal flare, but less bright, and visible longer. And signal flares usually don't come in groups, at least that's my New Years Eves experience (when people here tend to shoot up expired(?) signal flares).

eburacum45
2010-Jan-02, 02:27 PM
I saw at least four on New Year's eve, as well as three or more I've seen this year. They have all looked different depending on the observing conditions. I've even tried to set one off myself, but it was too windy (there's an important lesson here: they only work in relatively still conditions - if ground wind speed is above 10mph they won't lift off).-