PDA

View Full Version : 365 days of astronomy podcast

Ricardodaforce
2009-Jan-03, 09:23 PM
We are 3 days into the near year.

Does that mean if I want to enjoy these podcasts I have to endure that AWFUL song at the beginning another 362 times?????????????

StarStryder
2009-Jan-04, 01:59 AM
We're looking into doing a weekly feed as well, that will have 7 episodes combined with the song only once per 7.

Cheers,
Pamela

Ricardodaforce
2009-Jan-04, 07:40 AM
Ah, maybe a solution then Pamela.

Thanks for the reply, and I still think your voice is amazing!

bethkatz17582
2009-Jan-19, 08:35 PM
After the sponsorship, I fast forward to about 1 minute to get past the song. It's catchy and fun, but if I'm listening to five days in a row, it gets repetitive.

jniemann
2009-Jan-25, 06:03 AM
Yeah - the whole intro is starting to get to me now. I don't think I can take another 11 months of it. Also, I tend to listen to a whole week's worth of them in one sitting, so I think rolling them up into a weekly feed with only one intro is an excellent idea.

Ricardodaforce
2009-Jan-25, 03:24 PM
There was an interview with the guy who did the intro on the latest episode of Slacker Astronomy. The tune was grating from the 2nd listen, and to think I have another 11 months of podcasts coming up preceded by such an awful racket is not a nice thought.
The other thing that gets on my wick is that the podcast is about INTERNATIONAL year of astronomy, yet we are subjected to a tune full of AMERICAN colloquialism, "Super Duper", "Cool" etc. Hey guess what WE DON'T ALL COME FROM THE USA.

Ricardodaforce
2009-Feb-16, 08:08 AM
We're looking into doing a weekly feed as well, that will have 7 episodes combined with the song only once per 7.

Cheers,
Pamela

This so needs to happen. I am now looking into taking out a contract on George Hrab

Taunide
2009-Feb-16, 04:40 PM
Oh Yes, please give us a weekly feed. I mean, the song itself is quite OK but FAR too long and these Guitars are not good for my ears.

Taunide
2009-Feb-18, 01:01 PM
Just received an email

Hi Taunide,

Well your email is very well timed. The weekly feed has just gone up
and you can access it on:

http://feeds2.feedburner.com/52WeeksofAstronomy

It will also appear in iTunes in the next few days. Glad you're
enjoying the podcast. Thanks and spread the word!

Robert Simpson

Ricardodaforce
2009-Feb-19, 07:12 AM
I think it should be binned.

Ricardodaforce
2009-Mar-21, 09:41 AM
Please lose the music, please..................................

mtaylor
2009-Mar-23, 03:34 AM
Its not just the music. The volume of the intro and exit is much louder than the discussion. I get to the end of the podcast and my ears are blasted by the music.

Taunide
2009-Mar-23, 07:56 AM
Hey Folks, get the weekly Podcast and things are good.. Do not complain, do support them.

Ricardodaforce
2009-Mar-23, 08:02 PM
But some of us want our daily fix. Just without that pathetic racket at the beginning. What's the point of it? Jeez.

Guustaaf
2009-Mar-27, 04:16 PM
The title of the song is probably 'Daddy got a fuzz box for fathersday' and is in the same category of desperation marketing as the republicans getting into hip-hop.

Ricardodaforce
2009-Mar-28, 05:26 PM
The title of the song is probably 'Daddy got a fuzz box for fathersday' and is in the same category of desperation marketing as the republicans getting into hip-hop.

LOL well said that man!

JR_M42
2009-Apr-07, 10:12 PM
The song has sort of grown on me now but I love the podcast I love getting different points of views from people about the universe.

Ricardodaforce
2009-Apr-08, 03:22 PM
Hmmmm I was in the unfortunate position of having missed a couple of days and had 3 podcasts to listen to. To hear that <inappropriate language removed> 3 times was not the most enjoyable of experiences.

BetaDust
2009-Apr-08, 05:02 PM
Hi Ricardodaforce, If you hate the intro so much, why not just skip the intro?

Hmmmm I was in the unfortunate position of having missed a couple of days and had 3 podcasts to listen to. To hear that <> 3 times was not the most enjoyable of experiences.

Please have a look at the Rules For Posting To This Board (http://www.bautforum.com/forum-rules-faqs-information/32864-rules-posting-board.html):

Especially Rule #3:

3. Language

No cursing. This goes along with being polite. This website is read by a lot of kids, including young school kids who want to learn about astronomy, space, and space exploration. The Universe is a marvelous place, full of beauty and wonder, and if you despoil it by using bad language you will quickly invoke the ire of the administrators and moderators. Think of the language used on TV during an after-school special and you'll get the idea. Deliberately misspelled bad words, or replacing key letters with different characters or numbers will not be tolerated. Same goes with adult topics -- talk about them somewhere else. If you do need to post something risqué, stick with arcane scientific terminology.

Please don't use foul language on the board. Thanks.

--Dennis

Maplesyrup
2009-Apr-09, 09:46 AM
The intro weirded me out at the start but its grown on me, sorta catchy. I dont know but dont change it, it gets me ready for another awesome episode

abo999
2009-Apr-10, 07:55 AM
Far be it for me to complain about podcast intros; I negged the Jodcast intros which prompted the Jodcast guys to do an intro about that: the Churchill one (does that mean we will have to sit through loads of boring interviews? Oh no... I guess only the Brits will have 'got' that one lol). I'm proud of that in a nerdy way :)

Anyway, I do think the 365 intro is a bit old since we're over three months in. It'd be nice to have a bit of variation. Unfortunately I don't have the skillz to make an alternative ;)

Ricardodaforce
2009-Apr-10, 05:44 PM
Things is I subscribe to many podcasts and don't have to skip over the beginning of any of them, because none of them have such a pathetic,loud american-centric theme. It's just not needed.
Secondly I apologise for the language I used. I forgot how prudish americans are, afterall even Pingu the Penguin was censored there because he dared want to go for a pee!

Tucson_Tim
2009-Apr-10, 05:52 PM
I forgot how prudish americans are,

That's rather insulting. As for your language, you may not know it but this site welcomes young people.

Sticks
2009-Apr-10, 06:02 PM
you may not know it but this site welcomes young people.

Ricardodaforce Please take note, and re-read the forum rules

hhEb09'1
2009-Apr-11, 04:38 PM
The other thing that gets on my wick is that the podcast is about INTERNATIONAL year of astronomy, yet we are subjected to a tune full of AMERICAN colloquialism, "Super Duper", "Cool" etc. Hey guess what WE DON'T ALL COME FROM THE USA.So, you want it in a different language? Which one?

Ricardodaforce
2009-Apr-11, 05:55 PM
So, you want it in a different language? Which one?

I am not suggesting it be in another language at all. I was under the impression that English is the international language of astronomy. What I object to is that, given this is the INTERNATIONAL Year of Astronomy, the theme music is so overtly american. Why not some inspirational instrumental work. Did no one ask Brian Eno if an excerpt of Deep Blue Day could be used for example?

mahesh
2009-Apr-13, 04:54 PM
Anyway, I do think the 365 intro is a bit old since we're over three months in. It'd be nice to have a bit of variation. Unfortunately I don't have the skillz to make an alternative ;)

Hey abo... hi,

There are some programmes (BBC) aired on the radio, the lead-ins / intros for which have remained unchanged for decades.

If changes were to be considered, it would, in some cases, lead to riots in the streets; who knows, they'd also roll some heads at the BBC. Some things become institutional (as opposed to institutionalised) and they are best left unaltered.

The intro to podcasts at BAUT qualify for such status. Best left unchanged. It would 'grow' on you! My opinion.

I am nerdy like that.

NHR+
2009-Apr-16, 07:23 PM
I don't care much for the intro either, but the weekly feed seems to be a good solution to that. It's better for me anyway, 'cause I'd rather listen to hour-long (or longer) podcasts than those 10 to 15 min bits anyway... anyway. Anyway. Every which way...

Savino
2009-Apr-22, 06:52 PM
This stuff is far, this is stuff is far-far-away.... lalala...

Well, just to give my opinion... I am from brazil and I really enjoy the theme song!

I must agree that it doesnt say much about astronomy (in fact, it doesnt says nothing usefull) but its fun!!! And nobody needs to be a brainiac 100% of the time!

abo999
2009-Apr-22, 07:45 PM
Pingu the Penguin was censored there because he dared want to go for a pee!

When he pee'd on his bed after the baby penguin was born, because he wasn't getting enough attention?

abo999
2009-Apr-22, 08:59 PM
Hey abo... hi,

There are some programmes (BBC) aired on the radio, the lead-ins / intros for which have remained unchanged for decades.

If changes were to be considered, it would, in some cases, lead to riots in the streets; who knows, they'd also roll some heads at the BBC. Some things become institutional (as opposed to institutionalised) and they are best left unaltered.

The intro to podcasts at BAUT qualify for such status. Best left unchanged. It would 'grow' on you! My opinion.

I am nerdy like that.

Thing with the podcast intro for me is that after Pamela's (lovely) voice, it bursts in so damn loud. I'm usually relaxing in bed when I listen to 365, it's a nice wind down before going to sleep. But I have to forward through the loud bit to get to the podcast. Not a big deal but it means I just fast forward from the beginning of the podcast and miss the sponsor message.