PDA

View Full Version : Other universes out there?

Plat
2003-Nov-15, 04:53 PM
Do you believe there are other universes out there floating around in a bigger multiverse/omiverse and when two universe collides or bumps into each other that gives birth to another universe

OR

Do you believe there are other universes there but in different dimensions, like ours is 3D and there are other universes out there that are in 5D or 17D

PS: screw the parallel univere theory (there are not 100,000,000 me's)

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/5mysteries_universes_020205-1.html

Normandy6644
2003-Nov-15, 04:59 PM
I do think that it is possible, although whether or not it is testable is a much different question....

Sister Ray
2003-Nov-15, 06:38 PM

Well, if there are an infinite number of universes, there's going to be at least one more of you, by sheer probability. That being said, I have no idea whether there are an infinite number of universes or not.

Isn't this universe in ten dimensions, in theory? The other five are just too small to be accessed.

Normandy6644
2003-Nov-15, 06:45 PM
Isn't this universe in ten dimensions, in theory? The other five are just too small to be accessed.

That's part of string theory. Also somethiong that, right now at least, cannot be tested.

ljbrs
2003-Nov-15, 08:21 PM
It is now M Theory, and there are eleven dimensions in this version.

As far as Superstring Theory and M Theory are concerned, there has always been speculation about such things since the time when the ancients first postulated that "atoms" existed. Now we have a maze of subatomic particles to think about and scientists have formed them into coherent groups. Superstring Theory and M Theory are carrying it all a bit farther. I find it very interesting. I do not worry about the possible existence of other universes. Our own universe is tremendously interesting all by itself. I would think it strange for there to be only one Big Bang (of course, being neither big nor a bang). If this kind of thing (universe) is found in nature, there ought to be plenty of them. Of course, the name ought to be changed to multiverse. If there are more than one, the prefix "Uni" will never do.

Now to get back to some real life worries...

ljbrs :wink:

Plat
2003-Nov-15, 10:41 PM

Well, if there are an infinite number of universes, there's going to be at least one more of you, by sheer probability. That being said, I have no idea whether there are an infinite number of universes or not.

nah i meant the bubble universes theory, not the parellel theory

Chuck
2003-Nov-16, 12:10 AM
I live in my own, private universe, but it's not real.

Plat
2003-Nov-16, 07:03 AM
Of course, the name ought to be changed to multiverse. If there are more than one, the prefix "Uni" will never do.

then they should call our universe a "brane" and call whatevers containing all the branes the "universe"

I would think it strange for there to be only one Big Bang (of course, being neither big nor a bang). If this kind of thing (universe) is found in nature, there ought to be plenty of them.

I think it is, because of quantum fluctuation (this is related to the bubble universe/void theory right)

bubble universe theory = each bubble is a brane/universe and countless bubbles are just floating around like "bubbles in a beer vat" and each bubble is entirely different from each other...also related to the collision theory (2 universes/branes collides and creates another universe/brane)

Kebsis
2003-Nov-16, 09:34 AM
then they should call our universe a "brane" and call whatevers containing all the branes the "universe"

Could whatever's containing the branes also be a brane in a larger brane?

Ari Jokimaki
2003-Nov-16, 10:20 AM
Do you believe there are other universes out there floating around in a bigger multiverse/omiverse and when two universe collides or bumps into each other that gives birth to another universe

OR

Do you believe there are other universes there but in different dimensions, like ours is 3D and there are other universes out there that are in 5D or 17D

My answer to both of these questions: no I don't.

cyrek1
2003-Nov-16, 01:00 PM
Hello ljibra.

To all above:

Sure, there could be other Universes. There is no limit to the imagination.

My steady state universe exists in an infinite space. So, therefore, there can be other universes.

Maha Vailo
2003-Nov-17, 08:56 PM
As a D&D player, I'd like to think there are other universes out there.

Unfortunately, we may never know if there are any or not unless we develop the technology to travel between universes (highly unlikely, but you never know).

- Maha "masters of the multiverse" Vailo

kanon14
2003-Nov-17, 10:17 PM
whther it is parallel universe, bubble universe, or mutliverse there really is no way we can verify their existence. but if you ask me, i'd like to be in a multiverse where infinite parallel universes exist. in that case, whenever somehting goes wrong during the day, at least i know there are other "me's" doing better in other universes, and i'm not the worst me either.

Plat
2003-Nov-17, 10:39 PM
As a D&D player, I'd like to think there are other universes out there.

Unfortunately, we may never know if there are any or not unless we develop the technology to travel between universes (highly unlikely, but you never know).

- Maha "masters of the multiverse" Vailo

yup u never know....i'd like to think that there are other universes/branes out there...but completely different from ours (no parallel univeres, because i'd like to think there is only one me)

Plat
2003-Nov-17, 10:56 PM
bubble universe theory = each bubble is a universe/brane and countless other bubbles are just floating around like a "bubble in a beer vat" and each bubble is entirely different from each other (not parallel in any way)....it is also related to the collision theory which is when 2 or more universes/branes collide with each other to create a new universe/brane

if this is true this will make me feel gazillion times smaller

Ian Goddard
2003-Nov-18, 01:58 AM
Do you believe...
It's fascinating and I'd say even good to speculate about these things. Part of the inductive process is wondering what's out there beyond the immediately visible. But we should keep in mind that at the moment the idea of other universes transcends the belief/disbelief criterion of testability. Professor Steinhardt explains:

"It's not a testable idea," says Paul Steinhardt of Princeton University. Because the different universes would not be detectable by one another, he says, "You can't really prove it exists or doesn't exist." When you talk about multiple universes, Steinhardt says, you're not talking about science anymore. "In my view, you're into metaphysics."

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/5mysteries_universes_020205-1.html

Plat
2003-Nov-18, 02:35 AM

i posted this at the top

Ian Goddard
2003-Nov-18, 03:04 AM
i posted this at the top
Thanks. I was just making sure the quote was sourced, since some people may not have clicked on the link at top and/or read the whole article they might be scratching their heads wondering where the quote came from. By placing the link next to the quote, they know it was from that article.

kanon14
2003-Nov-18, 10:38 AM
In my view, you're into metaphysics.
i guess most of the scientific theories are started off in the realm of metaphysics. it is only later when there are methods to test the theory it becomes scientific

Ian Goddard
2003-Nov-18, 11:34 AM
i guess most of the scientific theories are started off in the realm of metaphysics. it is only later when there are methods to test the theory it becomes scientific
The scientific theories I can think of are and were efforts to explain some observable phenomena with other observable phenomena.

Plat
2003-Nov-19, 02:51 AM
im into metaphysics

Ian Goddard
2003-Nov-19, 01:56 PM
im into metaphysics
Yeah, to avoid metaphysical speculation would be a mistake, in my view. Isn't it pretty much like "thinking outside the box"? Just that it's important to define the difference between testable and non-testable propositions.

One problem with multiverse-type theories (if my understanding is correct) is that they cannot be tested by definition, since two universes cannot communicate. On the other hand, there are some features of other metaphysical claims that might be testable, in which case those specific features could be scientific hypotheses.

kanon14
2003-Nov-19, 07:27 PM
The scientific theories I can think of are and were efforts to explain some observable phenomena with other observable phenomena.
yea i think you're right, i was thinking the more bizzare theories :D

Sister Ray
2003-Nov-19, 09:20 PM
One problem with multiverse-type theories (if my understanding is correct) is that they cannot be tested by definition, since two universes cannot communicate. On the other hand, there are some features of other metaphysical claims that might be testable, in which case those specific features could be scientific hypotheses.

Why couldn't they communicate? What if, say, there's another universe right next to ours? (Don't ask me what would constitute the end of one and the beginning of another, because I don't know.) It may take a long time, depending on how you send the message, but it seems possible to me.

Plat
2003-Nov-20, 10:05 PM
Why couldn't they communicate? What if, say, there's another universe right next to ours? (Don't ask me what would constitute the end of one and the beginning of another, because I don't know.) It may take a long time, depending on how you send the message, but it seems possible to me.

very possible, if we stay alive (as a race) somehow in the next million years we could definately develop some kind of super-telescope that will see whats beyond our brane/universe, see the void separating the branes/universes and maybe even peek into the other branes

kanon14
2003-Nov-20, 10:19 PM
What if, say, there's another universe right next to ours?
i always have probelm with understanding the boundary of our universe. isn't the definition of the word "universe" to be everything that exist in our space-time? say if the universe next to us is a 5d or 19d universe, then our sense isn't capable of preceiving it. sure we could imagine what it could be like using mathematics like the string theory, but there is no way we can use physical instrument like telescope to detect their existence; after all, these instruments we built are based on our sensory. if the object being deteced is beyond our perceptual limit, we would only see it as a 3d object and wouldn't notice it is something from the other universe

Plat
2003-Nov-24, 12:19 AM
bump

Plat
2003-Nov-24, 10:46 PM
If inflation is correct, the universe really is more than a million trillion trillion trillion times larger than the already enormous visible cosmos. It's practically infinite in scale. You have to speak like a child to convey the idea—it's basically a gazillion times larger than we thought. And there's more: One variation of the inflation theory suggests that our universe is a calm bubble, a kind of "no inflation zone" within an infinitely large, chaotic, eternally inflating "multiverse," and that this multiverse contains countless bubble universes, some of which almost surely contain intelligent observers trying to make sense of their own crazy cosmos.