PDA

View Full Version : My first Binos

crosscountry
2009-Jan-07, 11:55 AM
Right in time too. I bought some for my Antarctica trip but only used them a couple of times. Now that I'm back in New Zealand I was looking forward to clear skies. Well, it took a few days, but finally they arrived.

I've never seen the southern sky at night and was really hoping to see the Magellanic clouds. Unfortunately Christchurch is pretty well lit, and with the naked eye I saw nothing except the Southern Cross. That was a good feeling! Also, seeing Orion upside down and Sirius directly overhead was a neat sight. The moon was just left (not right like up north) of the Pleiades. On my own I found NCG3532 and the Eta Carina Nebula. They were near to Theta Carina which I found first. From there I was lost and had to pull out the computer with Starry Night. That helped me find the LMC, NCG 3114, and the names to the others. The SMC is too dim, and maybe clouds were filtering my view.

Anyway it was quite productive, and now I have the great memory of looking at the southern sky. I hope to get a few more viewings in while on my motorcycle trip around the southern island.

P.S., I've had a telescope for years. I love it, but it's not great for travel.

geonuc
2009-Jan-07, 02:28 PM
What model binoculars did you get?

crosscountry
2009-Jan-07, 05:36 PM
Oh yea, doh, Some cheapos from Academy: Bushnell 10x42. They are compact as far as binoculars go and pack easily. They seem to do the trick for the most part but as of yet are still untested in good conditions. The LMC was pretty dim (visually I saw nothing).

Looking forward to a couple of days away from city lights. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but this is something I've needed for a LONG time, and it feels good to have something I can use easily on hand.