PDA

View Full Version : Collection of Observations?

AonSao
2009-Jan-08, 11:19 AM
Is there a public database out there that contains data about accepted observations in physics (namely, ones that are replicable)?

It's easy to assume things just are that way because I'm told in a convincing voice that its been proven. But I'd like to see the variables and raw data involved.

JohnD
2009-Jan-08, 12:29 PM
AonSao,
Your scepticism is entirely proper, but the method you suggest won't help. "Observations in physics" fill hundreds (thousands?) of journals that publish peer reviewed articles on research that produced the observations. May I suggest that you;
1/ Ask the owner of the "convincing voice" for a reference to a paper that confirms the 'fact' they they have stated. This is proper scientific method, and any scientist should be willing to substantioate their opinion with published work.
or
2/ Use the Internet to find journals that publish papers in the field that concerns you. While many journals do not publish current papers online, or only if you subscribe, they often publish the contents of recent issues, and many do put their older content online. Search there for work that is relevant. If you find something you may have to buy it, but if you have access to a Library, ask them if they canobtaine the article for you - they may be able to for much less, or even free!
and
3/ You asked about physics. "PubMed", http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed is the nearest to the 'database of observations' that you asked for, but only for Medicine and biological sciences. It includes abstracts of most papers published in those disciplines. Someone else will know better than I if there is an equivalent in physics or a field of physics.

Good luck!

John

AonSao
2009-Jan-09, 06:46 AM
Thank you John :)