PDA

View Full Version : Bad Astronomer on C2C Monday

latimer
2003-Nov-17, 03:45 AM
I missed it in the other forum, so I thought I'd let people know here...

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9368

"I will once again be blabbing about astronomy on the nationally
syndicated Coast to Coast AM radio program on Monday, November 17, from
11:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. Pacific time (2:00 to 5:00 a.m. Eastern).
I will be talking about recent events in bad astronomy, including the
Harmonic Concordance, the black spot on Jupiter, the Sun's hijinks,
and all the silliness that has ensued as pseudoscientists misinterpret
these events. The link to the C2C show has a list of radio stations that
play the show (chances are there's one near you) and you can also
find stations that stream it."

I missed it earlier. Just thought others might have done the same. :)

Jonathan
-It doesn't matter what I believe. What matters is what I can prove.-

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Nov-17, 04:14 AM
The last time I was on (the dustup with Nancy Lieder) there was a lively discussion going on here. I also urge anyone who wants to use the IRC chat room. I'll be plugged in there, as well as here, and even the Art Bell room. Probably GLP as well. :o

Baern
2003-Nov-17, 03:34 PM
Hi Phil!

I was wondering to you or any of you other good folks could post a transcript somewhere, that is WAY to late (early?) for me, because I have to be at work a couple of hours afterward, and I can't pick up C to C where I live. I have to get off this hill and go into town to get any AM signals clearly at night! #-o

Good luck tonight! Maybe you will put the minds of a few more borderline kooks at ease! The hardcore kooks won't believe their favorite disinfo agent, but it's not you, they believe no one that is actually educated in the field! :D

Aldebaran135
2003-Nov-17, 11:44 PM
If you're lucky, maybe the Interdimensional Warrior will call! :evil:

(To anyone who doesn't get the reference: Don't worry, you're probably better off.)

latimer
2003-Nov-18, 04:51 AM
Anywhere to listen to show online?

And where are people chatting?

Musashi
2003-Nov-18, 05:06 AM
http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7152

The semi-official BABB irc channel.

There are a few of us there now.

latimer
2003-Nov-18, 05:13 AM
Thanks! I am on the IRC channel now. And can listen to C2C online.

:)

Jonathan
-Yadda yadda-

Humphrey
2003-Nov-18, 05:17 AM
Dang. Can somne get a transcript(or even better a archived audiostream!) for me? i have to go to bed soon. Dang early classes.

ktesibios
2003-Nov-18, 09:24 AM
Well, I can't get anything but a busy signal, and I've gotta go home and get some sleep before the first of my two jobs.

<Herman Munster voice>

Darn, darn, darn, darn, DARN, DARN, DARN!

</Herman Munster voice>

Anyway, Phil, if you happen to read this- you mentioned Fermi's question regarding extraterrestrials: "where are they?"

According to Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb, Leo Szilard's reply was "They're here. They're called Hungarians."
:D

2003-Nov-18, 10:03 AM
Wow. The show's barely over and Godlike looks like a kicked beehive. Phil must be doing something right...there's some serious bile being sprayed all around there.

2003-Nov-18, 10:07 AM
Wow. The show's barely over and Godlike looks like a kicked beehive. Phil must be doing something right...there's some serious bile being sprayed all around there.

Humphrey
2003-Nov-18, 08:50 PM
so was anyone able to get a transcript or audiofeed? Please??????
Pretty please with a cherry on top?
How about some chocolate too!
And Sprinkles!
Oh man what do i have to offer to get one?

R.A.F.
2003-Nov-18, 09:00 PM
Yeah...what Humphrey said!! :)

cjc36
2003-Nov-19, 03:23 PM
To Bad Astronomer:

Thanks for representing the scientific side of the debate again on C2C Monday night. Topics were fascinating, and you kept on-target and honest when you were getting out of your exact area of expertise. GN tends to 'push the paranormal', which is his gig, I guess, but you stood your ground when speculation got a bit too far afield. Again, par for the course on C2C.

I guess I wish Noory would realize that real science, if done honestly, can be just as cool, scary, mind-blowing as a cabinet full of X-files.

I did check out the pic of Jupiter. Wow!

Thanks again!

Archer17
2003-Nov-19, 08:10 PM
..I guess I wish Noory would realize that real science, if done honestly, can be just as cool, scary, mind-blowing as a cabinet full of X-files..I agree totally. For instance, the recent solar activity was exciting enough (I saw my first aurora!) without Noory trying to push the woowoo aspect of it. I don't presume to know what's going on in his head, but I think George felt he needed to play "woowoo" devil's advocate to a degree to justify having people like Hoagland on as a frequent guest.

Regarding the show, I had to switch from radio stations in Cleveland and New York to listen in since C2C isn't broadcast in Pittsburgh (despite what the web site claims) .. Excellent job Dr Plait =D>