PDA

View Full Version : I thought you might like this BA

Megan
2002-Mar-25, 08:43 PM
The other day at school, my World Geograpy was telling us about how our toilets turn in different directions on the other side of the Equator and that it just drains straight down on the Equator. Well, before she could continue, I raised my hand and told her that she was wrong. Well, we sat there and argued in front of the whole class about who was right and who was wrong. As soon as I realized that this was going to go nowhere, I pulled out BA's book and told her to read the chapter. She did while we finished our notes, and at the end of the class she just handed me the book and said that I was right. But the thing that ticked me off is that she didn't even correct herself to the class, so all of the other classes were told wrong, as usual. Well, at least I know what is right, thanks to BA! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Lisa
2002-Mar-25, 11:18 PM
Yeah, but now the rest of the students have a silly urban legend lodged in their brains. Its your teacher's job to teach, not just spout what she believes. If that's all she wants to do, she should find herself a soapbox and a streetcorner.
Seriously, she should give the students the correct information. I'm sure she was just parroting something she'd heard somewhere, without ever investigating the matter further.
I have an idea. Will you have to give any class reports this semester? Lemme see, what subject could you possibly expand upon.
Lisa

ljbrs
2002-Mar-26, 12:22 AM
It is disgusting what ignorant teachers will utter as *truth beyond a shadow of a doubt*! Things might get better when Megan eventually reaches University (if she selects universities and courses carefully). Then again, she will run up against such blatant ignorance again and again.

Megan is meeting the real world. It is full of proselytizers of baloney. However, as Richard Feynman emphasized to audiences, the *pleasure of finding things out* is one of the greatest pleasures one can experience. Megan should not permit some ignorant teacher to ruin her day.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif :frown: /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-26, 12:42 AM
First Megan, welcome to the new board!

Second, it's great that you stood up to your teacher that way! I did that once or twice in school, too. Of course, I got slapped down hard once too (I said that the primary colors of light were red, blue and yellow, but that's for paint: for light it's red, blue and green. Embarrassing.). But once I corrected a teacher and got a lot of praise (I showed him where he could have saved about 30 or more math steps and simply gone right to the conclusion). That was in what, 1980, and I still remember it well. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I think the issue here is not that your teacher was wrong. Teachers are commonly wrong, and that just happens. They cannot know everything about everything!

The real issue is that it sounds like the teacher's ego got in the way of her kids' education. That's bad.

I don't have any real advice for you on this, Megan. If you try to correct her again, she may very well be upset. Or, she might take it well. You never know. Maybe someone should send her to this site, so she can see how a professional real-live astronomer guy admits when he screws up! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Lisa
2002-Mar-26, 01:04 AM
The teacher shouldn't feel badly to admit she was wrong. Who hasn't fallen for an "urban legend", at least for a moment or two?
Heck, I've done it, and been corrected for it. The proper response is "oops".
The only think wrong with being wrong is an unwillingness to accept correction.
(Hey, I might use that as a sig)
Lisa

Chip
2002-Mar-26, 05:55 AM
On 2002-03-25 15:43, Megan wrote:
"... I pulled out BA's book and told her to read the chapter. She did while we finished our notes, and at the end of the class she just handed me the book and said that I was right..."

If your teacher took the high road, and said: "you're right" to the whole class, she would have actually appeared more assured and self confident to the class. If she had followed that up with a fun assignment, that would have really been smart. Such as: "Well class, you see how people can accept ideas that somehow seem logical to them without understanding that they're wrong? Let's have an assignment, tomorrow bring in an example of a notion or idea that people have about the world or outer space that seems true, but is really not true. Let's talk about it."

But even if she doesn't do that, try to be nice to your teacher, and don't rub it in. I wonder what will happen if you mention later on that the full moon doesn't really appear larger when it is on the horizon. It's an optical illusion. (Nobody believes that unless they measure it for themselves.) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2002-03-26 00:57 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-26, 11:26 AM
Maybe lend BA's book to your teacher. Oops, bad idea--I forgot how this pack of weirdos (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=633&forum=9&start=30) snarls and gnashes when you try to take away their Bad Astronomy.

Brian K
2002-Mar-26, 12:53 PM
As a science teacher I really like having students like Megan who can speak up about the ideas that are being shared in class.

For something like this I am inclined to send the students home to check their own drains and toilets and then report back the next on what direction they actually observed. In science these days there is an emphasis on the ability of students to engage in scientific inquiry (a laudable goal not always met), and an opportunity like this is a real bonus for me and for them.

Megan
2002-Mar-26, 08:25 PM
Maybe I will go to University...if I can find one that actually offers what I want to take: Astronomy, Photography, and Dance(Ballet, Jazz, Modern). Hopefully I can find one soon so I can start on some scholarships:P

SeanF
2002-Mar-26, 08:45 PM
On 2002-03-26 15:25, Megan wrote:
Maybe I will go to University...

Okay, this is off the subject of astronomy, but I need to ask about this usage of the word "University." Around these here parts, we don't use the word in this syntax (I'm not sure how to describe it). When someone goes to higher education, the general statement is they're going to college, but "university" is only ever used as a specific (the university or a university).

I had thought this usage of "university" was Canadian (I believe they also say someone is "in hospital." Here, he's "in the hospital"), but based on the usage here, I'm guessing it's also used this way in parts of America?

Sorry, just rambling . . .

Hook
2002-Mar-27, 01:08 PM
Truly great teachers understand that students are not vessels they are trying to fill with facts but rather foragers that they are helping learn how to learn.

Or, to paraphrase, give a man a fact and he will think for a day, teach that man to research and he will think forever! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

(P-)>

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-27, 03:44 PM
I think it should be...

Teach a man to research and he will apply for a grant /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

Hat Monster
2002-Mar-28, 04:04 PM
Around these here parts, we don't use the word in this syntax (I'm not sure how to describe it). When someone goes to higher education, the general statement is they're going to college, but "university" is only ever used as a specific (the university or a university).

You'd be correct on the west side of the Atlantic, but not on the east.
In Britain, colleges and universities are very different places.
I went from school to college (further education) then to university (higher education), which is the normal path.

David Hall
2002-Mar-29, 12:37 AM
I was always taught that a university was a specially accredited college and had to sustain a higher level of quality than a mere college. I know for example that my university had once been just a college.

Of course "college" in the US is also used as a generic term for higher education in general. But I think in the rest of the English-speaking world they usually refer to it as "going to university".

Jim
2002-Mar-29, 02:30 AM
As a general rule in the US, a college offers only associate and bachelor degrees unless it is part of a university system. A university has one or more colleges within it which can offer graduate degrees and conduct research.

Megan
2002-Mar-31, 11:11 PM
Well, University or college, I'm still going to go somewhere after I graduate from High School. I think that I found where I think I might want to go, Laramie. But I still have to keep looking, I never knew that finding a college would be so hard!!

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-31, 11:45 PM
Laramie? Are you from Wyoming?

I graduated from the University of Wyoming. I believe it may still be the only four-year college or university in the state.

odysseus0101
2002-Apr-01, 12:37 AM
I never knew that finding a college would be so hard!!

Megan,

Applying to college is tedious, especially when you have to write an essay about your entire life in 100 words or less. Remember, when you take your first astronomy class you'll have a few dozen people from this board just dying to do your homework for you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: odysseus0101 on 2002-03-31 19:37 ]</font>

Jim
2002-Apr-01, 03:20 AM
... you'll have a few dozen people from this board just dying to do your (astronomy) homework for you.

Great! If that doesn't send her straight to trade school, nothing will!

Lisa
2002-Apr-03, 06:29 PM
On 2002-03-31 18:45, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
Laramie? Are you from Wyoming?

I graduated from the University of Wyoming. I believe it may still be the only four-year college or university in the state.

She's from western South Dakota. Wyoming would be away from home, but too far from home. Know what I mean?
Lisa

Wiley
2002-Apr-03, 06:58 PM
On 2002-04-03 13:29, Lisa wrote:
She's from western South Dakota. Wyoming would be away from home, but too far from home. Know what I mean?
Lisa

It's gotta be far enough way that you can't come home when you don't want to, but close enough that you can come home when you want to.

Mr. X
2002-Apr-03, 08:32 PM
No.

Well SeanF I am IN UNIVERSITY. Sorry, let me rephrase that... IN UNIVERSITY. Heheheh, that ought to shut him up... DOH stupid me typing everything I think and not erasing it afterwards /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I never quite understood what it is with americans and UNIVERSITIES (HAH!) far away from home... I mean what happened to the ancient mystical practice of living IN cities. For example, I am around 20 minutes of away from the UNIVERSITY, as a matter of fact from FOUR UNIVERSITIES... I... don't know... what is... up... with... you... (cardiac arrest)... there it goes...

So maybe you can take me to school, maybe to UNIVERSITY, on the subject at hand... heheheh /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oooh, I'm so bad /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2002-04-04 19:23 ]</font>

Megan
2002-Apr-05, 12:44 PM
Laramie because it's a place where I'll know a few people from High School, my dance teacher is taking me there this weekend to do a dance workshop(SO EXCITED:D), and as Lisa said, I wont be to far from home, but far enough.
I was kinda hoping to go to a college in a bigger city, but I guess I'll just ahve to wait till I graduate.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-05, 05:45 PM
Go Pokes!

The University of Wyoming has a nice little infrared observatory I think, if it hasn't sold it yet. And dark skies.

It can get cold, but, hey, you're from South Dakota, right? You know what that's like. Do you like skiing? There is a nice little ski area fairly close. And some great technical climbing rock.

Lisa
2002-Apr-13, 02:40 PM
GOW, just sent you a PM. Megan had a great time in Wyoming, but didn't get a chance to ask some important questions.
Lisa

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-13, 04:32 PM
I don't seem to have received the Private Message. Try to send it again, I'll try to answer fairly whatever questions you may have. It has been a while since I atteneded school there (twenty years) but my younger brothers also went there.

PS: ok, there it is. I must have been looking at the wrong page.

<font size=-1>[PS]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrapesOfWrath on 2002-04-13 12:34 ]</font>