PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want To Get Rich?

AKONI
2003-Nov-18, 04:24 AM
Sorry I'm posting about this topic twice, but if you scroll down and read what this guy wrote in red you'll understand why I'm finding this one so funny!!!

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1917/proof.html

Of course there's a catch...

If this was posted before,.. my apologies.

Musashi
2003-Nov-18, 04:29 AM
Wow. 28 km/hr is the limit! I'll have to slow down when I drive then. not to mention my flying.

Is my math off, or is 8000 m/sec actually 28,800 km/hour?

[I just realized that he has the . instead of a comma... 28,000 = 28.800]

AKONI
2003-Nov-18, 04:37 AM
Wow. 28 km/hr is the limit! I'll have to slow down when I drive then. not to mention my flying.

:lol: =D>

ktesibios
2003-Nov-18, 05:06 AM

Is my math off, or is 8000 m/sec actually 28,800 km/hour?

[I just realized that he has the . instead of a comma... 28,000 = 28.800]

Using the period to delimit thousands, millions, etc. is pretty common European usage, as is using a comma instead of the decimal point, e.g., 1.654,321 instead of 1,654.321.

When I bought a hieroglyphic text editing program from the University of Utrecht I received an invoice for something like 140,95 Euros.

It makes reading schematics for vintage German-made audio gear a bit confusing at times.

Musashi
2003-Nov-18, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I realized that... shoulda got it faster since I used to have a nice vintage German automobile. It still is confusing at first glance. :)

Tensor
2003-Nov-18, 05:22 AM
Not to mention their use of shorthand dates. 1/12/03 is December 1, 2003 not January 1, 2003. That took a while to get used to when I lived there. Wasn't too bad if the day of the month was after the thirteenth.

TrAI
2003-Nov-18, 08:04 AM
Not to mention their use of shorthand dates. 1/12/03 is December 1, 2003 not January 1, 2003. That took a while to get used to when I lived there. Wasn't too bad if the day of the month was after the thirteenth.

Hehe, yes, the different notations are confusing.. I think though that both the dd.mm.yyyy and the yyyy.mm.dd notations are a bit more logical than the mm.dd.yyyy notation... :P :wink:

Tensor
2003-Nov-18, 01:37 PM
Hehe, yes, the different notations are confusing.. I think though that both the dd.mm.yyyy and the yyyy.mm.dd notations are a bit more logical than the mm.dd.yyyy notation... :P :wink:

LOL. Actually, I prefer the dd.mm.yyyy and have used it since my return. As you pointed out, it's more logical, since it moves from smallest unit to largest.

AstroSmurf
2003-Nov-18, 02:33 PM
Here in Sweden, we either use the ISO format yyyy-mm-dd or a more conventional dd/mm yyyy.

I think the link in the OP has been shown here before. Very amusing technique in that proof, too bad every single link in that chain of reasoning is flawed...

AKONI
2003-Nov-18, 10:13 PM
Yes, but on that site there are times when the guy uses a comma instead of a period. I don't think he was trying to use the European system.

Which means he really was saying 28kph like Musashi said.

And even if I'm mistaken here, no one is going to take him up on his offer..?

I will give all my money (and even my life) to the first person who knows a scientific publication, f.i. in PHYSICAL REVIEW, that contradicts the (current) 28.800km/hr-limit.

C'mon, when's the last time an HB was willing to kill himself if he was wrong???

This could be exciting!!! :D

ktesibios
2003-Nov-19, 03:24 AM
Quote:
I will give all my money (and even my life) to the first person who knows a scientific publication, f.i. in PHYSICAL REVIEW, that contradicts the (current) 28.800km/hr-limit.

Well, if he really means 28 kph, why a scientific publication? Wouldn't a nice big stack of speeding tickets do? :D

Sister Ray
2003-Nov-19, 03:33 AM
I would take him up on the offer, but I don't own a car.

The spelling on that page made me wince. As did just about everything else on the page. What's left I simply didn't understand. Is there a school where I can go to regress all my learning? (Okay, I don't *have* any learning, but I could go into negative amounts...)

Mellow
2003-Nov-19, 09:38 AM
Personally, I think it was a typo, copied and pasted.

The guy is clearly a loon anyway.

I must say though, as a European, I have not seen comma delimiters replaced by periods. So the comment that it's a common European thing may not be true.

Andreas
2003-Nov-19, 02:08 PM
Yes, but on that site there are times when the guy uses a comma instead of a period. I don't think he was trying to use the European system.

Which means he really was saying 28kph like Musashi said.
Doesn't seem like it. He says 28800 km/h is needed for orbit and that a mass of 1 kg can only reach 4000 km/h. He was using the European system, he's Dutch after all.

I've seen that site before, I think it's rated high on crank.net ("Illucid", I think). Oh, and click on the "MORE" link at the bottom of the page, there is more amusing stuff there.

AKONI
2003-Nov-19, 07:06 PM
Well, if he really means 28 kph, why a scientific publication? Wouldn't a nice big stack of speeding tickets do?

I cannot even begin to explain just how hard I laughed when I read this line!!!

Doesn't seem like it. He says 28800 km/h is needed for orbit and that a mass of 1 kg can only reach 4000 km/h. He was using the European system, he's Dutch after all.

Okay, I stand corrected.

Swift
2003-Nov-19, 09:25 PM
Is there a school where I can go to regress all my learning? (Okay, I don't *have* any learning, but I could go into negative amounts...)
Just watch enough television. I particularly recommend "reality" programs. :lol:

Madcat
2003-Nov-24, 09:56 PM
Did he give us permission to shoot him? :-?

Zamzara
2003-Nov-24, 10:15 PM
So what's the maximum speed of a 15 tonne lorry? About 0.01 km/hr?

Ikyoto
2003-Nov-24, 11:38 PM
is that an african or european lorry?

TrishTelesco
2003-Nov-24, 11:44 PM
domestic and it better remember to bring the loaf of bread, sugar, and come home right away.

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-Nov-24, 11:48 PM
apparently he's never heard of an exponential function...

Site was greatly amusing! Which would you rather take the money or the life? As a poor starving college student....I'd opt for money...what's the currency in the Netherlands? How well does it stand to the dollar?...I mean if he's going to give me a million in his currency and I can't buy a cheeseburger I'll take option number two.

ktesibios
2003-Nov-25, 03:14 AM

Site was greatly amusing! Which would you rather take the money or the life? As a poor starving college student....I'd opt for money...what's the currency in the Netherlands? How well does it stand to the dollar?...I mean if he's going to give me a million in his currency and I can't buy a cheeseburger I'll take option number two.

Well, if it's Netherlands Guilders, a million of 'em would be 534,642.07 USD. If he pays in Euros, a million would be 1,178,196.06 USD (as of posting time).

I wouldn't sneeze at either. :D

SirThoreth
2003-Nov-25, 03:58 AM
Could someone please translate what this dude is trying to say from woo-woo into English? I'm having a really hard time following what the frell he's trying to say.

Ikyoto
2003-Nov-25, 04:27 AM
Translate? Sure! I'll give it a go...

Ahem....

"I don't have enough functional gray matter to actually listen to anything that is told to me by people with real skills in math, physics or even telecommunications. So I'll take the worst math i can figure out myself and tell every one who looks up that there are a lot more planes than they see to keep all the world's communications going."

There. How's that?

Sigma_Orionis
2003-Nov-25, 03:00 PM
One word: OUCH

JayUtah
2003-Nov-25, 04:33 PM
I always love the airplane theory.

The parallax in even a medium sized city using consumer grade dishes would be a dead giveaway if there were really airplanes providing these signals. You'd have to circle an airplane every square half mile, or four to a square mile. Plus one over everyone who's using a satellite phone.

Geo3gh
2003-Nov-25, 05:09 PM
Could someone please translate what this dude is trying to say from woo-woo into English? I'm having a really hard time following what the frell he's trying to say.

I'll give it a shot.

Basically he took some questionable datapoints and extrapolated some weird results.

I don't know where he got some of his data, but it looks like he used whatever velocity figures were given when he found them, not considering whether it's relevent.

What I mean to say is, he saw a listing of the muzzle velocity of a .45 caliber round as 245 m/s (as an example), and concluded that 245 m/s is the maximum velocity for something of equivalent mass.

Repeat this a few times, and draw a line through the dots to get your "maximum limit" for 1 kg.

Innumeracy in action.

Sister Ray
2003-Nov-25, 05:24 PM
Is there a school where I can go to regress all my learning? (Okay, I don't *have* any learning, but I could go into negative amounts...)
Just watch enough television. I particularly recommend "reality" programs. :lol:

I don't own a TV. Guess I can't regress any further than I already have. (My parents' house has a TV, a big screen, but I've been known to plunk myself down in the recliner with some fat book, the TV untouched.)

Can computer games help me regress? I've been playing lots of Civilization II. (I don't own and can't afford III.)

Sigma_Orionis
2003-Nov-25, 07:34 PM

I don't own a TV. Guess I can't regress any further than I already have. (My parents' house has a TV, a big screen, but I've been known to plunk myself down in the recliner with some fat book, the TV untouched.)

Can computer games help me regress? I've been playing lots of Civilization II. (I don't own and can't afford III.)

Yes, play Postal 2 :lol:

Ikyoto
2003-Nov-25, 08:10 PM
I've got Civ I, II and III... From what I've seen of my teenager playing them and Age of Empires, they actually encourage learning history - so... No. They won't help you regress.

Now Postal 2 and Redneck Rampage - THOSE will help you become a drooler right quick!

Sister Ray
2003-Nov-25, 10:49 PM
Mmm, can't afford any new games (poor college student). I'm trying to think of a mindless game I play. I have some card games, mostly varients on Solitare. Will those work?

Ikyoto
2003-Nov-26, 05:22 AM
Hmmm.. I remember being a poor college student...

A mindless game I could afford back then...

OH! Yeah!

Catching rocks on your forehead!

(You only need to win once and it sure beats playing rugby!)

Peter B
2003-Nov-26, 06:26 AM
I always love the airplane theory.

The parallax in even a medium sized city using consumer grade dishes would be a dead giveaway if there were really airplanes providing these signals. You'd have to circle an airplane every square half mile, or four to a square mile. Plus one over everyone who's using a satellite phone.

We're getting a few ads on TV at the moment for Globalstar satellite phones. Because Canberra is out in the country (300 kilometres from Sydney) we get a lot of ads for goods and services of use to the rural sector. And satellite phones sure fit that bill.

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-Nov-26, 02:14 PM

Well, if it's Netherlands Guilders, a million of 'em would be 534,642.07 USD. If he pays in Euros, a million would be 1,178,196.06 USD (as of posting time).

I wouldn't sneeze at either. :D

Me either...Thanks. I would like to go for the money rather than his life.

crazy4space
2003-Nov-26, 09:34 PM
Hmmm.. I remember being a poor college student...

A mindless game I could afford back then...

OH! Yeah!

(You only need to win once and it sure beats playing rugby!)

This is very funny - catching rocks on your forehead - I am still laughing. =D>

Astronot
2003-Dec-02, 01:47 AM

Ikyoto, what is the air speed velocity of those rocks?

Sister Ray
2003-Dec-02, 05:09 PM

Ikyoto, what is the air speed velocity of those rocks?

African or European?