PDA

View Full Version : Large Quantities of Methane Being Replenished on Mars

Fraser
2009-Jan-15, 09:20 PM
Methane has been measured in large quantities in Mars atmosphere over several seasons, meaning Mars is active, either geologically or biologically. "We found methane," said Dr. Geronimo Villanueva from the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, one member of a team of scientists reporting on their research at a press conference today at NASA Headquarters. [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/01/15/large-quantities-of-methane-being-replenished-on-mars/)

BigDon
2009-Jan-16, 01:27 AM
Man, they are bending over backwards trying not to use the "L" word, aren't they? :)

But I can hear it in their voices!

BrianC
2009-Jan-18, 07:10 AM
Hmm. A heading of 'Large quantities of methane' and an illustration showing 30 parts per billion. A better description would be a periodic variation in miniscule trace amounts of methane - probably with huge error bars given the earth based methodology.

Still biotic is one (low probability) cause for this and hopefully Unmanned Spaceflight is the only site that will reject the scientific method of considering all possible options in favour of :silenced:.

centsworth_II
2009-Jan-18, 10:34 AM
"We observed and mapped multiple plumes of methane on Mars, one of which released about 19,000 metric tons of methane," said Villanueva.

19,000 metric tons. Sounds pretty large to me.

"Currently, methane is a minor constituent of our planet's atmosphere. The average concentration of methane at the Earth's surface in 1998 has been estimated as 1,745 ppb (parts per billion)."

This is only about 60 times the 30ppb measured at Mar's "hot spots". Granted, this compares the average for Earth with the highest concentrations on Mars. But still, pretty impressive that Mars could get as close as 1/60 the concentration of Earth considering the big advantage that Earth has in evident life and geological processes.

JonClarke
2009-Jan-18, 11:32 AM
Still biotic is one (low probability) cause for this and hopefully Unmanned Spaceflight is the only site that will reject the scientific method of considering all possible options in favour of :silenced:.

I could never understand their bizzare attitude of refusing to discuss one important goal of unmanned missions.

Jon

marsbug
2009-Jan-18, 01:36 PM
The mods there say they've been burned in the past by the topic. I don't have a problem with it, I find the atmosphere here much more relaxed anyway. If Doug wants a geology, meteorology and technolgy only forum thats fine by me those are interesting topics in their own rights, but somepeople take the no astrobiology discussion rule there kinda personally, which suggest they might have their own pet ideas on the subject they'd like to try and get people excited about. So do I, I'm happy to come here and do it though!

JonClarke
2009-Jan-18, 09:47 PM
The mods there say they've been burned in the past by the topic. I don't have a problem with it, I find the atmosphere here much more relaxed anyway. If Doug wants a geology, meteorology and technolgy only forum thats fine by me those are interesting topics in their own rights, but somepeople take the no astrobiology discussion rule there kinda personally, which suggest they might have their own pet ideas on the subject they'd like to try and get people excited about. So do I, I'm happy to come here and do it though!

Of course he can run his site the any way he likes. But then, so can Hoagland. Most of the UMS strictures are reasonable. This is simply bizzare. Astrobiology is a significant research focus for many planetary missions. The justification - too many woo woos to waste time policing does not stand up for a moment. It's like banning plasma science because of the EU crowd! ? That would be equally logical!

Jon

antoniseb
2009-Jan-18, 10:25 PM
Most of the UMS strictures are reasonable. This is simply bizzare. Astrobiology is a significant research focus for many planetary missions....

I like UMSF. It's a great resource for me. Generally, they don't discuss much about what MIGHT be, but rather what has been observed. I've never felt like this was a problem, but I also haven't put the same restriction here. The two forums are different. You can discuss astrobiology here.

That being said, the OP is not about UMSF, and I'd like the discussion of that forum here to end.

JonClarke
2009-Jan-19, 12:11 AM
that being said, the op is not about umsf, and i'd like the discussion of that forum here to end.

ok

trinitree88
2009-Jan-22, 05:08 PM
Methane has been measured in large quantities in Mars atmosphere over several seasons, meaning Mars is active, either geologically or biologically. "We found methane," said Dr. Geronimo Villanueva from the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, one member of a team of scientists reporting on their research at a press conference today at NASA Headquarters. [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/01/15/large-quantities-of-methane-being-replenished-on-mars/)

That's interesting. I'm sure we can rule out aliens landing and holding a Saturday night bean supper, which contributes considerable methane, and consequently global warming on Earth. :shifty: pete

What,...nobody laughed?..pete