PDA

View Full Version : Leonid Shower

heliopause
2003-Nov-19, 02:57 PM
Anyone get a good peek at the Leonids? We've had clouds hiding every leonid shower here since the amazing '01 storm.

gethen
2003-Nov-19, 04:01 PM
Clouds here too, accompanied by over an inch of rain. No Leonids.

2003-Nov-19, 04:23 PM
Same here. More storms. Figures. I've yet to see any decent astronomical phenomena. It's always either cloudy or not here or something else. I COULD have seen the last lunar eclipse, but I was at the movies and forgot about it until too late. :-(

SarahMc
2003-Nov-19, 05:06 PM
Add me to the rain/clouds list as well.

Amadeus
2003-Nov-19, 05:22 PM
Clouds... hmmmm.......
O.k heres my theory. The clouds were created by the U.S navy to stop people getting a look at the shower, the shower was actualy an attack by planet X using deathrays. :lol:

R.A.F.
2003-Nov-19, 05:23 PM
I don't know if this will make anyone feel better...but I saw a grand total of one. :)

heliopause
2003-Nov-19, 05:36 PM
According to Spaceweather.com, we didn't miss much. Their Leonid headline is LEONID DUD.

Kaptain K
2003-Nov-19, 08:02 PM
I don't know if this will make anyone feel better...but I saw a grand total of one. :)
Ditto, and it was faint (~ 3rd mag). :(

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Nov-19, 10:39 PM
Have I missed something somewhere? The local AM 24-hour-talktrafficweather station is blaring that TONITE is the night for the Leonids. Is someone's watch 24 hours slow? Is there a second blast visible in the midwest tonite? Is someone full of moondust? What? What? :-?

Superluminal
2003-Nov-20, 03:17 AM
I went to our club observing site, Area 52 +33.9826 -94.0021, about midnight last night. Huge line of thunder storms had just moved through and cleared the sky. Observed from 12:20-2:00am, saw 8 Leonids and 9 sporatics, most likley Taurids. Not as good as last 2 years, but any time your are sitting in a chair under the stars, it's a good night.

Kaptain K
2003-Nov-20, 03:19 AM
Have I missed something somewhere? The local AM 24-hour-talktrafficweather station is blaring that TONITE is the night for the Leonids. Is someone's watch 24 hours slow? Is there a second blast visible in the midwest tonite? Is someone full of moondust? What? What? :-?
Yeah, the local newspaper also said it was tonight, but it appears they were wrong. Spaceweather.com says that the peak was last night (actually this morning). Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to take a look tonight. There will probably be a few stragglers and who knows, the predictions could be wrong and there could be a peak tonight (but I doubt it).

cyswxman
2003-Nov-20, 01:47 PM
Let's see here now...Lunar eclipse...cloudy. :-?

3 good aurora events visible from here...cloudy. :x :x

Dud of a Leonid sprinkle...not a cloud! I saw 2, total!! :evil: :evil:

Wolverine
2003-Nov-20, 02:33 PM
According to Spaceweather.com, we didn't miss much. Their Leonid headline is LEONID DUD.

Whew. I don't feel so bad now. I had gotten the peak date(s) wrong. :oops:

Postmortem
2003-Nov-20, 04:47 PM
didn't see anything on the 19th was very cloudy, but I managed to see 2 leonids in the span of about 5 minutes this morning, also got a breif glimpse of the auroras this morning, well I assume they were leonids, they came from the right direction and looked like other leonids I have seen (very fast, mostly white)