PDA

View Full Version : Fever

mugaliens
2009-Jan-17, 02:45 PM
The highest temperate ever recorded in San Francisco was 103 deg F, on July 17, 1988.

Unfortunately, that's my current body temp, as recorded just moments ago. Just the crud, some coughing, but mainly the fever (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever). That's 39.44 deg C.

According to Wikipedia, since "a fever is considered one of the body's immune mechanisms to attempt a neutralization of a perceived threat inside the body," I'm going to let it run it's course, as I've done for decades.

My question, since I live alone, is at what point (level of fever) should I call it quits and pop a fever-reducing NSAID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-steroidal_anti-inflammatory_drug)? 103 is still considered moderate. Since it's been found that fever is associated with COX isoenzymes, has there been any progress on a non-NSAID fever reducer? I don't like taking NSAIDs. If I have to, though, which NSAID does a better job of reducing fever with respect to a lower than normal dose for pain control?

Thanks in advance for the well-wishers that are so prevalent on this board. :) (yes, I'm staying well-hydrated, iwth appropriate electrolytes, and getting plenty of rest - thanks! Even bought some fixins for chicken soup, but I don't feel like cooking).

Doodler
2009-Jan-17, 03:15 PM
Ugh, best to you on that. I just got over a flu bug hit that had me up near there. Fun dreams I had. Playing GTA IV and reading "Wicked: The Life and Time of the Wicked Witch of the West" the week prior made for some BIZARRE dreams...

Tinaa
2009-Jan-17, 03:16 PM
103 is high for an adult or older teenager. If you have a fever of 104 or above see a doctor. You are very sick. Meningitis and pneumonia can cause high fevers. Take some ibuprofen and get some rest. I have three people here sick with the crud. This info came from my school's nurse and she is an RN.

gzhpcu
2009-Jan-17, 03:47 PM
After my scary experience, I'd say to just touch base with your doctor. All the best for a quick recovery...

mugaliens
2009-Jan-17, 03:58 PM
Thanks, folks. I managed to pick up some foods this morning, all the healthy stuff (broccoli, organic chicken, other fruits and vegetables). Haven't had the energy to cook it, yet, though! Instead, I scarfed down a bowl of raisen bran, blueberries, and a banana.

Thanks, Tinaa - I'll set a point of 104. If it gets there, I'm going in. Fortunately, the ER is only about 7 min away. As long as I'm keeping things down, though, there's not much they can do except give me NSAIDs to control the fever, which I can do here at home.

If that doesn't work, though... It's a quick call and a tepid shower.

mahesh
2009-Jan-17, 04:16 PM
mugs....no fancy food stuff, in your condition....
just plain boiled rice and plain yoghurt....for sustenance / energy. doesn't strain body for digestion. chicken soup sounds good! ...until you recover a bit and strengthen.

oh. an inadvertent ref. to W C Fields's comment at arriving late for dinner...every one else at the dinner table slurping soup...
Mr Fields says: hmmm the soup sounds good!

have a nice weekend!

edit: hey you could add some banana / blueberries to that mix. i'd rather have it plain.

jt-3d
2009-Jan-17, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I think 104 is what I've heard too. Better to play it smart. At some time you have to consult with the pros, as much as it hurts to do so. Me, I don't bother taking my temperature. I just swill beer until I get better or die. Liquids are important.

Hope you get well soon. Being sick sucks but at least it should force you to take it easy and not mug aliens for a few days.

Seeka
2009-Jan-17, 05:59 PM
Me, I don't bother taking my temperature. I just swill beer until I get better or die.

Jt-3d! Don't drink beer you're only dehydrating your system even more! :(

Feel better Mugaliens:)

mugaliens
2009-Jan-17, 06:37 PM
Thanks again, all. Mahesh, I might go for some rice pilaf. The kind I use is organic, minimal spice - just enough to make the rice taste good.

Ara Pacis
2009-Jan-17, 07:48 PM
I don't think it even becomes an official fever until it's 101 F. And then there's some confusion between hyperthermia and fever, where hyperthermia makes you be hot and feel hot but fever makes you hot and feel cold because of a change in the thermostasis setting.

Me, I've been ill for the last several days (abdominal something) and had a cold the two weeks prior but my temp didn't get very high, only about 100, but then my normal temp has been running around 97 F too. Go figure.

Get better soon.

danscope
2009-Jan-17, 09:32 PM
Hi Mugs, Get better soon.
" I got a fever, and the cure is 'More Cowbell! "
Best regards, Dan

mahesh
2009-Jan-18, 01:55 AM
keep it plain, simple mugs...
ah so much for Saturday Night Fever......:D

since you both like planes...here
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-143967787365412968

cheer up, ol' chap!

mugaliens
2009-Jan-18, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Mahesh!

I'm sure Travolta's dancing abilities lead directly to his success in the field of aviation...

Fever's back to normal, as of 8 am this morning. I smiled, rolled over, and slept for two more hours, anyway. :)

mugaliens
2009-Jan-18, 07:03 PM
Spoke to soon... Back up to 101. :mad:

Let's hope this is a simple 1-day rebound, and not a recurring theme...

Ara Pacis
2009-Jan-18, 07:15 PM
Temps cycle around a diurnal rhythm, so they are naturally usually a few degrees higher in the afternoon than in the morning.

Whirlpool
2009-Jan-19, 01:11 PM
Get well Soon Mugs.

If it gets higher than that , go see a doctor .

Fever is a signal that the body has an infection and it is fighting it.

Get lots of rest.

;)

Hanny
2009-Jan-20, 09:53 AM
I'm having a fever too... :( it's just a bad flu though..

Get well soon Mugs!

Euniculus
2009-Jan-20, 02:49 PM
Drink fluids, and lots of them.

I also second the ibuprofen suggestion. Unless you have other major health issues, occasional use of an NSAID is not going to harm you. I'd suggest starting at 400mg (2 OTC tablets) of ibuprofen.

103 is high, but fever doesn't become damaging until it reaches 106 or thereabouts. Like someone mentioned earlier, if the fever hits 104 or above, it's time to see the doc. You wouldn't want it to rise into the danger zone.

Are you coughing anything up? If it's greenish to grayish, you need to be seen by a doctor and most likely get put on an antibiotic.

marsbug
2009-Jan-20, 03:05 PM
If you feel like there's phlegm in your chest but you can't shift it I'd go down the doctors to be on the safe side. I find it's harder to sleep if I can't clear my chest, which doesn't help. Get well soon mate.

mahesh
2009-Jan-20, 04:09 PM
Hanny! You too?! aaw! get better soon!

Hanny
2009-Jan-20, 04:18 PM
Yeah thanks. ;)

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jan-21, 02:04 AM
Drink fluids, and lots of them.

Yes, drink plenty of beer. It enhances the fever dreams. :)

hhEb09'1
2009-Jan-21, 02:18 AM
I'm afraid to touch this thread

But, I can try a laying on of hands...there, how's that?

Whirlpool
2009-Jan-21, 04:50 AM
I'm afraid to touch this thread

But, I can try a laying on of hands...there, how's that?

Healing Hands?

:p

danscope
2009-Jan-21, 09:05 PM
Yep, get yer hands on some chicken soup!! :)
Dan