PDA

View Full Version : Should equal t i m e be given

Sticks
2009-Jan-18, 07:20 AM
Between my new desktop and my laptop :lol:

When I had the old pc which was dying, I spent more time on the laptop rather than the desktop and really only had the desktop on for printing and getting updates.

Now I have the new one, should I be giving these two machines equal time to avoid favouritism :shifty:

One thought was that laptops are for light use only and now I have the new desktop, I should be giving the laptop a bit more of a rest.

But then I start worrying it will get upset that I am not using it as much, and it will be asking what it did wrong

Incidentally I made a video in two parts of when the new system came in
part one (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1cG1HFcempQ)
part two (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uGK06PtbJRs)

So what did you think I meant :whistle:

cjl
2009-Jan-18, 08:03 AM
Use whichever system is faster and does what you want. I use almost exclusively my desktop, with my laptop reserved for light duty and portable stuff only, but that's because my desktop is faster than any laptops available, either now or in the next several months.

Jay200MPH
2009-Jan-18, 11:28 AM
I've been using a laptop exclusively for almost five years. The only problem is caring for the battery. If you're going to leave it plugged in for long periods of time, discharge the battery and take it out.

My laptop tends to overheat after a long time but I think that's just because it's old; can't handle a lot of modern applications.

- J

mugaliens
2009-Jan-18, 03:31 PM
Same, here, but only for the last six months, on a year and a half-old laptop. It never overheats, and the fan comes only only once in a blue moon, usually when playing DVDs, due to the graphics and CPU processing requirements and the DVD motor.

Sticks
2009-Jan-18, 03:37 PM
I got my laptop in February / March of 2007

I have a number of accounts that have to be kept alive by dialing in every so often (Remember dial up?) and the new desktop does not have a modem for dialing up but the laptop does, hence my comment at the end of the second part of my little movie :)

orionjim
2009-Jan-18, 03:40 PM
Hey Sticks,

Great job on the videos. I have gone through that process probably 15 times or so and I never realized other people had the same type of attachment to their computers. I thought I was just nuts or something. I especially loved the song at the end of the second video.

I think the day is not far off where a laptop will be my only computer. I use the desktop for serious stuff and the laptop for mostly internet things but I do mix the two.

Jim

nauthiz
2009-Jan-18, 04:54 PM
I haven't used a desktop in years, either. The laptop is more convenient (I do like to be able to stuff my computer in a courier bag), and while desktops are faster I have a hard time with the idea of coughing up an extra thousand or two just so a software build can finish before I get back from making the cup of tea.

Granted, I don't do gaming or video editing or anything like that.