PDA

View Full Version : acoustic supernovae?

trinitree88
2009-Jan-21, 04:25 PM
OK. I'm researching a question, and I may as well ask here, because you never know who knows what if you don't ask, and it might save some time.
Helioseismology is the art & science of interpreting the pulsation modes of the sun, and of some of the nearby stars. I'm curious if there's an expectation that supernovae progenitors are still pulsating in the computer models that mimic their kinematics, just before "thar she blows"...and if so, do they expect to see an acoustic signature in the expanding axisymmetric fireball of a supernova, just as they do in the BB models? pete

George
2009-Jan-21, 04:34 PM
You are probably familiar with J. Craig Wheeler's work at U.T., but, if not, you might be impressed. I went to his seminar a year or so ago where he showed their animation of an asymmetrical accoustical sn blast.

trinitree88
2009-Jan-21, 05:04 PM
You are probably familiar with J. Craig Wheeler's work at U.T., but, if not, you might be impressed. I went to his seminar a year or so ago where he showed their animation of an asymmetrical accoustical sn blast.

Thanks George. I'm making a note to myself to reserve this:http://www.nu.to.infn.it/Supernova_Neutrinos/

useful link