PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is in store for 2009?

humanrevolution
2009-Jan-23, 05:27 AM
The economy, terrorism, global warming, inflation, green energy sources, depression, jobs, etc?

Are you optimistic things will get better in 09 or do you think we still have some time to go before we begin to get this country on the right track again?

redshifter
2009-Jan-23, 07:31 AM
Well, unfortunately I got laid off today...I am getting a generous severance package however so I have some time to digest this and figure out what the next step is.

I don't think the economy has hit bottom yet, I just hope it doesn't have too much further to go before it starts to recover.

Salty
2009-Jan-23, 10:54 AM
Economy will still be falling.
Terrorism will strike several places on Earth.
Global warming and global cooling will continue to occur simultaenously.
Inflation will wait until economy is done falling.
Green energy sources will continue to be researched, but we really don't have an infrastructure for any of the new ones, beyond wind and solar power.
I think the economy will fall into a world economic depression. Human emotional depression will remain common.
Jobs will fall, then I hope Pres. Obama's public works project will kick in, here in the 'states.
HIV/AIDS will continue as a global pandemic.
I will not get drunk; I will not get drunk; I will not get drunk.

geonuc
2009-Jan-23, 12:36 PM
Well, unfortunately I got laid off today...I am getting a generous severance package however so I have some time to digest this and figure out what the next step is.

I don't think the economy has hit bottom yet, I just hope it doesn't have too much further to go before it starts to recover.
Good luck to you.

kleindoofy
2009-Jan-23, 03:10 PM
... before we begin to get this country on the right track again?
Which country?

KaiYeves
2009-Jan-23, 08:18 PM
I feel very optimistic. There's a lot to look forward too, especially in terms of space.

Seeka
2009-Jan-23, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry to hear you have been laid off Redshifter, sometimes it can be a blessing in disguise to be let go. Best of luck to you.

2009 will be a great year for me personally i can feel it:)
I think the Irish economy will suffer badly, every manufacturing company is jumping ship including the very efficient computer company Dell who are headed for Poland i hear, that was a shock.
Housing market has collapsed completely, the banks are broke and every body is in debt beyond belief with their new BMW's and their 4 or 5 bedroom semi's.
It looks bleak!

Globally, i couldn't say.

mugaliens
2009-Jan-23, 10:11 PM
I'm throwing my lot in with the obvious.

humanrevolution
2009-Jan-24, 12:07 AM
Which country?

Sorry, USA. :)

So, I see we have some pessimistic people here, ive read articles stating the economy will make a slow turn around in 2009-10

What are your thoughts?

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/04/pf/forecast_economy1.moneymag/

RalofTyr
2009-Jan-24, 06:23 AM
Sorry to hear that redshifter. Those things happen. Whenever I'm in between jobs, I take a vacation. I go someplace, affordable. You should look at a lay off not as an entirely negative thing, but, and opportunity to do something you've thought about, but maybe didn't because you were tired down with a job.

The economy, terrorism, global warming, inflation, green energy sources, depression, jobs, etc?

Are you optimistic things will get better in 09 or do you think we still have some time to go before we begin to get this country on the right track again?

There is nothing wrong with the economy. It's going along just fine. People still need things. Money's being made. The only difference is that America isn't living off of credit and buying things with money we don't have. Sure, chin stores are closing, but they were being supported with money the economy didn't have. Sure, people are losing their jobs, but there are people out there hiring. You just have to find them and take your chance. They might like you. You just have to find them and try. That is the hard part, but what else you going to do, sit around and worry*?

*And spam on the internet all day???

Obama will focus on Afghanistan, finally crushing the Taliban, which is something I'd like to be a part of.

There's no such thing as global warming. The atmosphere is warming, not the planet itself. :p

You know, I've often thought that the government should give Americans the bail out money, instead of banks, but that would lead to hyper inflation. When everyone has half a million dollars, what do you think that's going to do to the cost of everything?

korjik
2009-Jan-24, 06:33 AM
Which country?

what do you mean? you aint one of them furriners are ya?

:D

kleindoofy
2009-Jan-24, 06:35 AM
... The only difference is that America isn't living off of credit and buying things with money we don't have. ...
I'm assuming you mean that America *shouldn't* be living off of credit. That's one of the major problems, the private economy floating on a quicksand of debt. Nowadays the American definition of "rich" is "not in debt." That's dangerous. And I'm not talking about long term investments.

You can't live "high off the hog" if you don't have a hog and just borrowed one.

novaderrik
2009-Jan-24, 07:47 AM
i think it wil lbe just like every other year- some good stuff will happen, some bad stuff will happen, and at the end we will say how much better 2010 will be than 2009...