PDA

View Full Version : 3D Modeling Shakes Up Planetary Formation Theory

A.DIM
2009-Jan-27, 01:37 PM
From Space.com (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090127-st-planet-formation.html):

"It has been known since the '80s that there have been problems with that theory, but no one had gotten around to doing 3D simulations," said Joseph Barranco, an astrophysicist at San Francisco State University in Calif."

George
2009-Jan-27, 03:40 PM
I think the last statement presents the best general view of this field of study: :)

"It's an incredibly challenging field," Barranco said. "We can't observe planetary formation, but we know that planets form because we're standing on one."

The hurricane eye hypothesis is very intriguing. AB Aurigae seems to have a void region that surrounds a large protoplanetary formation region, which is about 100 times larger and brighter than a formed planet. This was seen optically by the Hubble, amazingly.

NEOWatcher
2009-Jan-27, 03:56 PM
Next: Jupiter's red spot is a remnent of formation...:lol:

George
2009-Jan-27, 04:07 PM
Next: Jupiter's red spot is a remnent of formation...:lol: Some birthmarks are simply outstanding. ;)

timb
2009-Jan-28, 01:28 AM
Related: Angular Momentum and the Formation of Stars and Black Holes (http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.4325)

The formation of compact objects like stars and black holes is strongly constrained by the requirement that nearly all of the initial angular momentum of the diffuse material from which they form must be removed or redistributed during their formation. The processes likely to be involved and their implications are discussed for (1) low-mass stars, which typically form in binary or multiple systems; (2) massive stars, which typically form in clusters; and (3) supermassive black holes that form in galactic nuclei. It is suggested that in all cases, gravitational interactions with other objects or mass concentrations in the associated stellar system play a key role in redistributing angular momentum and enabling the formation of a compact object. The formation of stars and central black holes must then be a much more complex, chaotic, and dynamical process than in standard models, with a more limited role for disks. The gravitational interactions that redistribute angular momentum in a forming system couple the mass of a forming object to the mass of the system, and this has important implications for mass ratios in binaries, the upper stellar IMF in clusters, and the masses of supermassive black holes in galaxies, possibly helping in the later case to explain the relation between black hole mass and bulge mass.

heldervelez
2009-Jan-28, 12:34 PM
From Space.com (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090127-st-planet-formation.html):

"It has been known since the '80s that there have been problems with that theory, but no one had gotten around to doing 3D simulations," said Joseph Barranco, an astrophysicist at San Francisco State University in Calif."

I've done also the simulation (on my PC with 320 processors, eheh) of a central star and a surrounding disk and there is no way that a solar system can be obtained.
If I've said the same before you read it from mainstream sources you wouldn't believe.

He says since the 80s they know.
Why we have being deceived since long time?

sidenote:
Actually I do know what is the solution (I've been told since the 90s).
I hope the knowledge can be released in the near future.
If not the case, then someone illuminated will be there maybe within another 20 years.
There exist big difficulties for independent researchers to access publishing.

dhd40
2009-Jan-28, 06:32 PM
Related: Angular Momentum and the Formation of Stars and Black Holes (http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.4325)

The formation of compact objects like stars and black holes is strongly constrained by the requirement that nearly all of the initial angular momentum of the diffuse material from which they form must be removed or redistributed during their formation. ... It is suggested that in all cases, gravitational interactions with other objects or mass concentrations in the associated stellar system play a key role in redistributing angular momentum and enabling the formation of a compact object. ...

How about DARK MATTERīs role in conserving of angular momentum? :think:

PetersCreek
2009-Jan-28, 09:21 PM
heldervelez,

There's nothing wrong with discussing the developing state of knowledge about planetary formation but kindly keep your ATM theories (and hinted references to them) in the Against the Mainstream forum.