PDA

View Full Version : Could it be we are in a black hole?

Tarkus
2009-Jan-28, 10:43 PM
Might explain the big bang and expanding universe.

kinda like a Faberge egg - the universes are nested and it's impossible to move between them..

I've got a headache now.

alainprice
2009-Jan-29, 12:01 AM
The only way we are inside a BH this whole time(let's say 5 billion years) without finding doom is if it is a stupidly big BH. Ridiculously big.

Seriously, that would be one massive BH.

We would also see a lot of blueshift.

antoniseb
2009-Jan-29, 12:14 AM
Might explain the big bang and expanding universe. ...

You could argue that we know very little about how physics works inside an event horizon, and that perhaps we are inside a black hole seeing everything strangely. I think the biggest argument against this requires buying into the idea that quantum information in a black hole isn't lost. That would suggest that whatever black hole we are in is as big as our whole universe...

BTW, if black holes evaporate, we should potentially notice some of our particles disappearing...

Please note that this is all hand-waving. We have some real scientists on board that might elaborate, or even show that I'm wrong.

stktos
2009-Jan-29, 01:25 AM
The only way we are inside a BH this whole time(let's say 5 billion years) without finding doom is if it is a stupidly big BH. Ridiculously big.

Seriously, that would be one massive BH.

Made me laugh.
yes not finding singularity after 5 billion years... that's just crazy huge.

WayneFrancis
2009-Jan-29, 02:19 AM
I think the biggest argument against it is that we don't see any of the gravitational effects and mass density one would expect to see inside the event horizon.