PDA

View Full Version : BAUT's Day of Remembrance

apolloman
2009-Jan-29, 12:46 PM
Nasa today is remembering the tragic losses of the Apollo 1, Columbia and Challenger crews.

I simply wanted to pay a brief homage and tribute to those men and women who lost their lives in the pursuit of humanity's greatest legacy.
Thank you Ed, Gus, Roger, Dick, Michael, Judith, Ellison, Christa, Gregory, Ronald, Rick, William, Michael, Ilan, Kaplana, David and Laurel.

You went in peace for all mankind. I will not forget.

Swift
2009-Jan-29, 02:25 PM
Missing man formation
http://varifrank.com/images/missing_man_formation.gif

Nice apolloman. We salute all those who have gone before us.

ngc3314
2009-Jan-29, 02:46 PM
What apolloman said.

We also remember Vladimir, Vladislav, Georgi, and Viktor. And Michael Adams, who had achieved space flight by the USAF definition. And there are others who paid the same price for our reach toward other worlds while still on this one.

We honor and remember you all.

geonuc
2009-Jan-29, 02:51 PM
Yes, thanks to all those people. If still alive today, I doubt a single one would say the risk they took is not worth taking.

R.A.F.
2009-Jan-29, 02:58 PM
And Michael Adams, who had achieved space flight by the USAF definition.

Yes...it is easy to forget those who participated in the X-15 program...

Well, except for Neil, of course.

apolloman
2009-Jan-29, 03:05 PM
If you haven't already done so, check out the tribute videos on Nasa's website. Its really worth the time.

marsbug
2009-Jan-29, 03:24 PM
Well said one and all.

Starfury
2009-Jan-29, 03:53 PM
Once we have firmly established ourselves as a spacefaring species, if I may paraphrase Leslie Neilsen in "Forbidden Planet", their names will shine like beacons in the Galaxy.

The loss of Dr. Chawla I felt a little more keenly, as we both share the same alma mater (University of Texas at Arlington).

mugaliens
2009-Jan-29, 07:06 PM
A hero's light never fades.

Phil-B
2009-Jan-29, 08:02 PM
Honor, courage, sacrifice.

Thanks to you and many other people who died furthering the cause of exploration and discovery.
Thanks to your families and friends.
Thanks to your country.

Looking at the stars, I will be with you.

Phil-B

JonClarke
2009-Jan-29, 09:55 PM
"To strive, to seek, to find, but not to yield"

R.A.F.
2009-Jan-29, 10:12 PM
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."
-Gus Grissom

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2009-Jan-29, 11:50 PM
We remember Valentin Bondarenko, Elliott See, Charles Bassett, Ted Freeman, Clifton Williams, Robert Lawrence, and Leonid Ivanov, who all died in the service of space exploration before having the chance to travel beyond the Earth themselves.

KaiYeves
2009-Jan-30, 01:09 AM
To the crews of Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia:

Today, as we rove the surface of Mars, construct our station in orbit and prepare to take our next great leaps to the moon and beyond, we look back and thank you all for your brave sacrifices. All this, we do in remembrance of you.

Thank you.

Swift
2010-Jan-28, 10:52 PM
Time flies...

24 years ago for Challenger and 43 years ago for Apollo 1. We salute all of those who have fallen on our road to the stars.

Middenrat
2010-Jan-29, 01:52 AM
Thanks to apolloman and all above for the eloquence which deserts me in paying homage to the Heroes of the Space Age.

KaiYeves
2010-Jan-29, 06:19 PM
Jean-Michel Jarre's "Last Rondez-Vous (Ron's Piece)" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtGG1WLP1pk).

Thank you, everyone.

slang
2010-Jan-29, 09:03 PM
*signs in silence*

Spacemad
2010-Jan-30, 01:10 PM
I would like to add my homage to all those who have posted above.

Thanks to their sacrifice we can continue to explore space today & our own lives on Earth have been improved by their deaths.

Thank you to you all.

Paul Beardsley
2010-Jan-30, 01:18 PM
Amen to all the above.

cran
2010-Jan-30, 01:28 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/cran_is/th_candle_celtic_gold.gif (http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/cran_is/?action=view&current=candle_celtic_gold.gif)

Polyrealastic Observer
2010-Jan-30, 05:58 PM
I think of all these people whenever I see a post grouching about a delay or scrub. We owe it to them all to be patient, so thier sacrifices are not in vain. No controller should ever have to sit staring at a screen in horror wondering, did I miss something?

Glom
2010-Jan-30, 06:43 PM
Lord, guard and guide the men who fly
Through the great spaces of the sky.
Be with the travelers in the air,
In darkening storms or sunlight fair;
Oh, hear us when we lift our prayer,
For those in peril in the air!

There's also apparently a couple of space versus, though personally I think they sound rather amateurish.

Almighty ruler of the all
Whose power extends to great and small,
Who guides the stars with steadfast law,
Whose least creation fills with aweŚ
Oh grant Thy mercy and Thy grace
To those who venture into space.

Eternal Father, King of Birth,
Who didst create the Heaven and Earth,
And bid the planets and the Sun
Their own appointed orbits run;
O hear us when we seek Thy grace
For those who soar through outer space.

Swift
2010-Jan-30, 07:39 PM
The arching sky is calling
Spacemen back to their trade.
ALL HANDS! STAND BY! FREE FALLING!
And the lights below us fade.

Out ride the sons of Terra,
Far drives the thundering jet,
Up leaps a race of Earthmen,
Out, far, and onward yet ---

We pray for one last landing
On the globe that gave us birth;
Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies
And the cool, green hills of Earth.
- Robert Heinlein

mahesh
2010-Feb-03, 01:59 PM
May the Gods of the Universe be with Ye all!

mike alexander
2010-Feb-03, 11:00 PM
And death shall have no dominion.
Dead mean naked they shall be one
With the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and foot...

Swift
2011-Jan-27, 02:22 PM
Once more, it is our sad duty, to remember those who lead our climb out of the nest of Earth.

grapes
2011-Jan-27, 02:33 PM
http://www.mensware.us/oldmak.jpg

NEOWatcher
2011-Jan-27, 03:13 PM
What am I looking at? What is it's meaning?

Glom
2011-Jan-27, 06:33 PM
This is a pretty bad week for the American space programme. Russian space disasters seem to lack such synchornicity, although the Soyuz 1 disaster was in the same week as the Chernobyl-4 explosion.

KaiYeves
2011-Jan-27, 08:14 PM
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/512914main_RedNRover_full.jpg

JohnD
2011-Jan-27, 09:12 PM
There's also apparently a couple of space versus, though personally I think they sound rather amateurish.

Sung, I think, in The Right Stuff, at the funeral of a test pilot, a colleague of one of the astronauts-to-be in test pilot training, maybe the Gordon Cooper role?
The Missing Man formation featured in the same scene.
Same tune as "For those in peril on the sea".
JOhn

voyager_3
2011-Feb-01, 07:11 PM
It's always very poignant reading threads dedicated to those who gave their lives in the service of space exploration and reasing all the various poems that other posters have put here. There's one I'd like to add, it's from the tribute given to the crew of Apollo-N in Stephen Baxter's Voyage, the final verse of Abide with Me which I always thought seemed very appropriate for remembering fallen space travellers;

Hold out thy cross before my closing eyes
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies
Heaven's morning breaks and Earth's vain shadows flee
In life, in death O Lord Abide With Me

R.I.P