PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla/Firefox warning on Google

Klausnh
2009-Jan-31, 03:27 PM
I just googled "mozilla firefox" and the google results had this warning "This site may harm your computer." in all the results. Anyone have any idea why google would post a warning about the Mozilla site. When I clicked on the link of the google message, I got the "error page not found" message.

Trebuchet
2009-Jan-31, 03:39 PM
A few minutes ago, when I tried searching for "tortilla maker" (see the "Post your dinner" thread), every Google result had a warning under it: "This site may harm your computer."

Clicking the result took me not to the site (e.g. target.com) but to a malware warning page. No way to click through to the actual site. I tried this with several search terms (unfortunately I didn't think of using "Bad Astronomy") and got the same result, although after a few minutes instead of the malware warning page I was getting a message that said I didn't have permission to access the server.

Thinking this might have been associated with my recent installation of FireFox 3, I tried IE. No warnings. Then I went back to FF and guess what, no more warnings there either.

Googling the warning phrase indicates this was a Google problem happening this morning, but it was certainly strange.

Trebuchet
2009-Jan-31, 03:44 PM
Google was giving the warning on EVERY search and preventing clicking through. It appears to be fixed now. I also started a thread, perhaps a mod can merge them.

Arneb
2009-Jan-31, 04:14 PM
That is funny! I had the same situation half an hour ago when I clicked on a search result for "Zombie cocktail recipe"... Of course, nothing happened, and I happily posted the link to a recipe in the "Zombies ahead" thread :think:

Someone at Google having a really bad hangover?

Moose
2009-Jan-31, 04:24 PM
Further proof of the Zombie Uprising, I think. Either that, or Skynet went sentient this morning. Either way, no good can come of this.

orionjim
2009-Jan-31, 04:27 PM
I got the same warning earlier and noticed almost all sites had the warning.

It seems to be back to normal now...

Jim

Klausnh
2009-Jan-31, 05:52 PM
Yeah. Seems to be fixed.
Thanks

sarongsong
2009-Feb-01, 06:57 AM
Google sez:
January 31, 2009
...An apparent system error left millions of visitors to the site puzzled when links to all search results were flagged with the warning 'This site may harm your computer'...A Google spokesman said: "There was a fault. We don't know the nature of it yet. Everything has been solved. We are still making initial enquiries."...
telegraph.co.uk (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/google/4413065/Millions-hit-by-Google-breakdown.html)

Neverfly
2009-Feb-01, 01:34 PM
"There was a fault. We don't know the nature of it yet. Everything has been solved. We are still making initial enquiries.

That's beautiful...

Maybe carry that one over to the "Quotes and proverbs" thread and dump it on the floor.

Veeger
2009-Feb-01, 02:24 PM
Yeah, how can you solve something if you don't know what caused it. I was out all day yesterday so missed the joy, but have in the past, seen the warning on legitimate sites that use certain kinds of scripting code.

Cougar
2009-Feb-01, 03:56 PM
Either that, or Skynet went sentient this morning.

Google sez: ...An apparent system error left millions of visitors to the site puzzled.... Everything has been solved.

That's just what Skynet would say after it went sentient! :shifty:

vk3ukf
2009-Feb-01, 04:44 PM
I got the error yesterday as well and sent in a whinge to Google, I thought I was going mad after 30 minutes of that rubbish.
It was happening every time I searched for images and sometimes when searching for just links.
I went off to alta vista and sanity returned.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Feb-01, 07:59 PM
Yeah, how can you solve something if you don't know what caused it.
If you're reacting to a variable and you don't know why that variable gets set, you can solve the problem without knowing the cause by ignoring the variable.
The real fix is naturally to figure out why that variable has the wrong value, but that's less urgent than getting things working again.

My guess is that their malware detector misfired, and returning "bad site" for everything. The temp fix was then to ignore the malware detector until it can be fixed.

Trebuchet
2009-Feb-02, 05:42 AM
According to Google, they reverted to the previous version of the database.

And they weren't flagging every URL, just the ones with a "/" in them.....