PDA

View Full Version : Quotes and Proverbs

spratleyj
2009-Feb-01, 05:15 AM
Are there any quotes or "proverbs" that you guys really like? I've been searching for some as I'm trying to build up a inventory (just for the sake of it)...

sarongsong
2009-Feb-01, 05:53 AM
http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/39355-best-quotes-all-time-funny-serious-anthing.html :)

Kiwi
2009-Feb-01, 08:56 AM
My top favourite, because I saw so many people doing exactly this in the 50s, 60s and even later:

Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

And I love the way Edgar spits this one out with a sort of part-quizzical, part-amused look on his face:

You know, I've noticed an infestation here. Everywhere I look, in fact, nothing but undeveloped, unevolved, barely conscious pond scum, totally convinced of their own superiority, as they scurry about their short, pointless lives. — Edgar, "Men In Black," 0:21:50

Chunky
2009-Feb-01, 09:13 AM
never kill a man if hes going to commit suicide

WaxRubiks
2009-Feb-01, 09:15 AM
Mouse : If you close your eyes, it almost feels like you're eating

runny eggs.

Apoc : Yeah, or a bowl of snot.

from the matrix

Chunky
2009-Feb-01, 09:37 AM
regardless of what you are, you will become.

i made it up :)

Chunky
2009-Feb-01, 09:38 AM
fret not of life. we all die, regardless of disease or health.

yours truly..

WaxRubiks
2009-Feb-01, 09:45 AM
"Bubble gum has evolved to stick to the bottom of your shoe in order to spread around the world and propagate: BEWARE THE BUBBLE GUM"

anon(not bubble gum)

HenrikOlsen
2009-Feb-01, 10:37 AM
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice, in practice there is.

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-01, 11:32 AM
Sometimes we are blinded by simplicity.

Seeka
2009-Feb-01, 11:43 AM
An proverb in Irish....

'Mura gcuirfidh tu san earrach, ni bhfainfidh tu san fhomhar'.

'If you do not sow in the spring, you will not reap in the autumn'

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-01, 11:59 AM
An Irish proverb in Irish....

Thats brill that Steff! i'm impressed ;)

dhd40
2009-Feb-01, 02:27 PM
An Irish proverb in Irish....

From the Bible, Luke 12:24:
Consider the ravens: they don't sow, they don't reap

From DHD40´s personal proverb diary:
They still breed like rabbits

I wonder how MY proverb looks like in Irish

Donnie B.
2009-Feb-01, 02:29 PM
"It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Cougar
2009-Feb-01, 05:19 PM
"Making a model of the universe is like trying to pitch a tent on a moonless night in a howling Arctic wind. The tent is theory. The wind is experiment. When one gets to the precipice, where the secure lands of the known have been left behind and the dark canyons of the unknown fill one's field of view, it becomes very difficult to guess just where to set the tent pegs and to predict which ones will hold once the wind comes up." -- Timothy Ferris

http://www.xmission.com/~dcc/compass.gif

Tucson_Tim
2009-Feb-01, 05:26 PM
-- Timothy Ferris

I enjoy his books but he hasn't written a new one in six years . . . :(

ETA: For those interested: http://www.timothyferris.com/

KaiYeves
2009-Feb-01, 05:39 PM
"You know when you buy those cheap necklaces from a catalog as party favors and they come all tangled up and you have to untangle them? You pull a little on the string closest to you and one on the other side of the tangle unwinds. That's how spin-offs work. You put money into one project and benefits come out in some completely unexpected area." -Me, to my uncle.

Seeka
2009-Feb-01, 06:31 PM
From DHD40´s personal proverb diary:
They still breed like rabbits

I wonder how MY proverb looks like in Irish

'Poraionn siad fos cosuil le coinini'

kleindoofy
2009-Feb-01, 09:35 PM
I heard this one about fifteen years ago from an old man in York and it has invariably proven itself true:

If you have something you need to have done, give it to a busy person.

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Feb-01, 10:46 PM
"Never imagine yourself to be otherwise than what it might appear to other as what you were, or might have been, was otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Nick

Weird Dave
2009-Feb-02, 12:29 AM
"I wouldn't give a damn about hyperspace if people would only be nice to one another. But they won't."
Fred (a guy I knew as an undergrad).

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil.

Frantic Freddie
2009-Feb-02, 12:42 AM
My favorite Mark Twain quote:

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous,he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

ngc3314
2009-Feb-02, 03:21 AM
"Never do anything well that you don't want to do again".

One of the sagest pieces of advice my dissertation advisor ever gave. Alas, he gave it to someone else and I heard it only a decade later (and still seem to have trouble putting it into practice!)

Salty
2009-Feb-02, 04:14 AM
Check out my reply to Chrissy's The Meaning of Life thread, for some of my sayings.

There's a real proverb, about not disturbing a man in his bitterness. I forget the exact working.

Also, check out the book of "Proverbs" in the Holy Bible. Lotsa good stuff, there.

Buttercup
2009-Feb-02, 04:34 AM
The ways of a person is right in their own eyes [King Solomon/Proverbs].

Which actually, if you think about it, seems more like a warning [against excessive self-assurance for us all]. ;)

dhd40
2009-Feb-02, 09:41 AM
'Poraionn siad fos cosuil le coinini'

Great! I trust you :clap:

Coinini must be rabbits!? There seems to be some audible similarity to the German "Kaninchen"

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Feb-02, 01:19 PM

Coinini must be rabbits!? There seems to be some audible similarity to the German "Kaninchen"

Or the English word coney (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coney), from Latin cuniculus.

Nick

BigDon
2009-Feb-02, 01:32 PM
If you have to shoot a man once, shoot him twice.

mugaliens
2009-Feb-02, 03:47 PM
"Look! Bugs!" - My son, a treatise on the wonders of life.

Seeka
2009-Feb-02, 05:23 PM

Yes coinini is plural for rabbits in Irish, coinin singular. There are what is called a 'fada' missing from a few letters but i obviously could not insert them, it's like a stroke above certain letters.
Coinini is pronounced 'Qwi-nee-nee':)

BigDon
2009-Feb-02, 05:47 PM
Yes coinini is plural for rabbits in Irish, coinin singular. There are what is called a 'fada' missing from a few letters but i obviously could not insert them, it's like a stroke above certain letters.

Of course it is! ;)

I grew up around Italians my whole life. They like to make up pronunciation for good American letters too.

Would you pronounce Ceccoli, CHECK-lee?

Click Ticker
2009-Feb-02, 08:46 PM
If you wait until you 'feel' ready to something, you'll never do anything.
- Hank, to me prior to a big decision.

Sage advice I've since benefitted from many times.

Seeka
2009-Feb-02, 09:26 PM
Of course it is! ;)

I grew up around Italians my whole life. They like to make up pronunciation for good American letters too.

Would you pronounce Ceccoli, CHECK-lee?

:lol:
I would pronounce it checoh-lee! Like a real Italian would?:D

BigDon
2009-Feb-02, 09:45 PM
:lol:
I would pronounce it checoh-lee! Like a real Italian would?:D

OH! I really wouldn't put it that way in front of said individual unless you well and truely ARE are Steffanie.

megrfl
2009-Feb-02, 10:23 PM
This one literally knocks my socks off...

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.

~Kahlil Gibran

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Feb-02, 10:27 PM
This one literally knocks my socks off...

Must save you time getting undressed in the evening. :)

Nick

mike alexander
2009-Feb-02, 11:28 PM
Give not to kings, O Lamuel, give not wine to kings: because there is no secret where drunkenness reigneth...

-Proverbs 31

'Give Not Wine to Kings' is a great story title waiting to be used.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Feb-03, 02:36 AM
You mean coinín?
Should that be coiníni or coiníní for the plural? From the pronounciation I'd expect the latter.

If you're using the default Windows Irish keyboard layout, AltGr together with the acute key (left of #) makes it a dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_key) acute, which means the next key pressed gets an acute accent over it, so AltGr-´ followed by i makes í.

LaurelHS
2009-Feb-03, 02:57 AM
"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat." F. Scott Fitzgerald.

megrfl
2009-Feb-03, 03:03 AM
Must save you time getting undressed in the evening. :)

Nick

It's a start. :)

mike alexander
2009-Feb-03, 03:28 AM
“Never play cards with any man named 'Doc.' Never eat at any place called 'Mom's.' And never, never, no matter what else you do in your whole life, never sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own.”

-Nelson Algren

closetgeek
2009-Feb-03, 02:24 PM
I heard this one about fifteen years ago from an old man in York and it has invariably proven itself true:

Quote:
If you have something you need to have done, give it to a busy person.

Ah yes, but never underestimate the will of a lazy person to find a faster more efficient way of getting it done.

This one is one of my favorites for humor:

"Sometime when you least expect it, Love will tap you on the shoulder... and ask you to move out of the way because it still isn't your turn."
- N.V. Plyter

If you wait until you 'feel' ready to something, you'll never do anything.
- Hank, to me prior to a big decision.

Sage advice I've since benefitted from many times.

Spock Jenkins, that is the most sound advice I have heard in years. I am taking that one with me.

dhd40
2009-Feb-03, 02:37 PM

Oh, ´Qwi-nee-nee´ doesn´t sound very similar to the German Kaninchen. From this you can learn that erroneous pronunciation is sometimes helpful (I pronounced it ´Co-ee-nee-nee´).
Probably Nick Theodorakis´ explanation "Or the English word coney, from Latin cuniculus" is true, cuniculus being the ´mother´ of all the coinini, coneys, Kaninchen, etc

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Feb-03, 05:35 PM
Oh, ´Qwi-nee-nee´ doesn´t sound very similar to the German Kaninchen. From this you can learn that erroneous pronunciation is sometimes helpful (I pronounced it ´Co-ee-nee-nee´).
Probably Nick Theodorakis´ explanation "Or the English word coney, from Latin cuniculus" is true, cuniculus being the ´mother´ of all the coinini, coneys, Kaninchen, etc

I wonder, though, if it is either a borrowed word or else if it dates back to an earlier proto-Indo-European root, since Celtic languages aren't derived from Latin.

Hmmm... I wonder if it is borrowed, since this source (http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/198.shtml) claims rabbits were introduced into the UK (edit: I know Ireland isn't part of the UK) in the 12th century, so early celtic languages perhaps wouldn't have needed a word for rabbit.

Nick

BigDon
2009-Feb-03, 08:11 PM
The truely wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

closetgeek
2009-Feb-04, 02:56 PM
The truely wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Which is so true, unfortunately I am not that wise. I have to learn every single lesson the hard way.

I like Mark Twainisms:

“A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes”

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

“Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.”

SeanF
2009-Feb-04, 03:45 PM
"Never do anything well that you don't want to do again".
Ah, that reminds me.

One I heard a long time ago:

"If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well."

My own corrollary:

"If something is not worth doing well, it's not worth doing at all."

:)

Click Ticker
2009-Feb-04, 06:46 PM
Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

If at first you don't succeed, quit.

SeanF
2009-Feb-04, 07:38 PM
Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?
Don't put off until tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely. :)

HenrikOlsen
2009-Feb-04, 11:13 PM
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

BigDon
2009-Feb-05, 12:44 AM
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Yeah, I'm given to understand that at least a third of new skydivers never even reach the ground!

HenrikOlsen
2009-Feb-05, 04:54 PM
Should I change it to If at first you don't succeed, don't take a job packing parachutes?

Trebuchet
2009-Feb-05, 07:48 PM
Ah, that reminds me.

One I heard a long time ago:

"If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well."

My own corrollary:

"If something is not worth doing well, it's not worth doing at all."

:)

Some jobs are not worth doing well, but we have to do them anyway. That applies to about 1/3 of what I do at work.

Chunky
2009-Feb-05, 10:33 PM
A poem is never finished, only abandoned" - Paul Valery

Chunky
2009-Feb-05, 10:41 PM
"Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other? "

what movie!? guess

both were good movies..

KaiYeves
2009-Feb-05, 10:45 PM
"Mercury was the god of speed, because they wanted to get into space fast. Gemini were the twins because the capsules carried two people. Apollo was the god of genius and great achievements. Space shuttle was the Roman god of orbiters." -Joe, my Space Academy councilor.

Graybeard6
2009-Feb-06, 05:29 AM
And it really doesn't matter
If it's only idle chatter
Of a transcendental kind.

(Andy Leahy; Massweiller, Germany, 1958)

I've used that as a mantra for 51 years.

Bolasanibk
2009-Feb-06, 08:28 AM
"Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other? "

what movie!? guess

both were good movies..

Evan Almighty.

I liked the first better than the second.

eric_marsh
2009-Feb-06, 06:14 PM
Here's one I used to use as a sig:

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole
English author (1717 - 1797)

Whirlpool
2009-Feb-07, 11:28 AM
My ALL TIME Favorite: The Golden Rule

"Do not do unto others , what you don't want them to do unto you."

spratleyj
2009-Feb-07, 03:26 PM
Here's one I used to use as a sig:

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole
English author (1717 - 1797)

That's a pretty awesome quote! Personally, a couple I like....

“Common sense is not so common”
~ Voltaire ~

and

“The first principle is not to fool yourself, and you’re the easiest person to fool”
~ Richard Feynman ~