PDA

View Full Version : Any Lizard Fans?

Euniculus
2009-Feb-01, 03:23 PM
I mentioned in another thread that I'm into Leopard geckos. The one I have now is a beautiful Bell Engima with gorgeous eyes and nice markings.

My girl has a bit of a temper, and will hiss/screech when I mist her enclosure. She loves her mealworms and will will come out of her hiding spot and stand by her bowl when it's mealtime.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Feb-01, 03:37 PM
I love the lizards that live here on my property but I don't have any as pets. Among the half-dozen or so different species that I've seen, we have this species of gecko: Western Banded Gecko (Coleonyx variegatus). It's a beautiful little thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleonyx_variegatus

chrissy
2009-Feb-01, 03:49 PM
I am a lizard fan, I have a bearded dragon (Zac) he is such a cutie, easy to care for loves sitting in my arms or on my shoulders running riot in my sitting room.
A lovely character and calm natured, his eyes are brown with flecks of gold, my little waste disposal unit. :)
When he wants to be out he does a window dance until I open his vivarium and take him out.

Tinaa
2009-Feb-01, 03:57 PM
In the summer I leave my kitchen curtain open so that the light attracts bugs. I have a whole bunch of little lizards feeding on the window. I leave my porch light on in front to feed my spiders.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Feb-01, 04:01 PM
I leave my porch light on in front to feed my spiders.

We have an array of low-voltage lights around the back porch area and every summer the orb-weavers build elaborate and beautiful webs where they catch the flying insects that come to the lights. Every fall I remove the webs (because my wife makes me) but they return every spring.

megrfl
2009-Feb-01, 06:40 PM
We moved to Florida from Pennsylvania in 2002, initially, I hated lizards. I called them the native rats. Walking along any vegetation in Florida; there is constant movement, shuffling, and minute cracklings. It was something that I had to get used to.

Upon returning to our home after Hurricane Frances in 2004 and while assessing the damage to the exterior of our home, I paused momentarily to ponder the mess. Suddenly, I felt intense pain on my right foot (wearing sandals), looked down, my entire foot and ankle was covered with red ants. Anger/ire is putting mildly as to what I felt!! Could I really be this angry at ants... yes! This may sound silly, but the ant attack was the straw that broke the camels back, tears and hysteria ensued. Fred ran and got the windex, sprayed my foot thoroughly and took me into our screened enclosure, what was left of it. I sat down and tried to calm down (face in hands).

After calming down, I leaned back and looked up... lo and behold... the screen above me was covered with ants and something more, LIZARDS!
The lizards were having a smorgasbord on those ants, cleaning them up like a vacuum. On that day, in our household, the "Lizard Protection Act" was enacted. I even have a little house for them out front. It is their safe haven for when the birds come.

Living in Florida has given me a more solid appreciation for all wild life, including ants. Each "animal" seems to have their place or usefulness... except maybe the Love bugs, unless, of course, the lizards like them for a snack. :)

RalofTyr
2009-Feb-01, 09:25 PM
My cat loves lizards. He catches, but he can't bite through their hide. Their tail comes off and they slowly crawl away, while the cat plays with the tail, unnoticed.

One time, he had a lizard in his mouth and he was trying to take it away, but the lizard was holding on to a plant with his mouth and front claws.

Romanus
2009-Feb-01, 10:49 PM
Though I don't own any lizards, I've loved reptiles my whole life--and lizards most of all. :) I nabbed gecko tail that I broke off a fugitive lizard in my bathroom when I was a teenager, put it in rubbing alcohol, and it still has its stripes and all 15+ years later.

My favorite vertebrates, by far.

geonuc
2009-Feb-02, 09:51 AM
Recalling my lizard days at the Poleta Folds, CSULB Geology Summer Field Class, 1996. Image drawn by Ron Morris.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3515/3247225570_286e4a24fa.jpg

BigDon
2009-Feb-02, 01:12 PM
I don't do well with lizards.

I'm a much better friend to them by not owning them. I won't list my previous failures as it's just too sad. I do rehabilitate the injured local wild ones when I can. 3 in the last five years. Mainly alligator lizards; http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=alligator+lizard&gbv=2 (For my friends in foriegn climes). They have that attractive beaded look.

mugaliens
2009-Feb-02, 03:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I'd captured at least one of every species of lizard native to Northern Florida.

At least it seems that way...

chrissy
2009-Feb-02, 10:21 PM
My Lizard. :) Zac the rock climbing Bearded Dragon.

Vermonter
2009-Feb-02, 11:13 PM
I'll have to get a new pic of him. I have Runamuck, a four-year old leopard gecko. He's got beautiful black spots on his yellow skin. Real dearie, but dumb as a rock. XD

mugaliens
2009-Feb-03, 01:00 AM

Cool - he does tricks!

Salty
2009-Feb-04, 02:59 AM

Hi, Chrissy,

Zac reminds me of a type of lizard we saw a lot of, in my childhood. We called them "Horned Toads". I have yet to see a wild one, since my return in '73. Your Zac is prettier than a Horned Toad.

I like geckos. At one of my posts, there were several geckos. I captured one, about 2 1/2" long, brought it home, and put it under the house. That was a couple of years ago. A few months ago, I saw it or another gecko, about four inches long, in the bathroom.
I've been thinking about getting a breeding couple of leopard geckos, which are supposed to get around six inches or more long (do I remember rightly?), to feed on the roaches and water bugs, here.

BigDon
2009-Feb-04, 05:08 AM
There are a couple of colonies of horned toads on some of the promontories overlooking the ocean in Pacifica. At least on the promontories north of Montara Beach. I could not find any reference on horned Toads living there. I never wanted to molest them enough to actually catch one for an ID.