PDA

View Full Version : What!? No Super Bowl Thread yet???

pghnative
2009-Feb-01, 10:30 PM
About 1 hr to game time, and I see that no one has started a Super Bowl XLIII thread yet.

As my username implies, I'm a native of "the 'burgh", as we call it, so I'm rooting for the Steelers. They just had Journey on, playing "Don't Stop Believin'" --- and I had this fear that the screen would cut to black halfway thru...

I'm quite bummed --- I'm actually stuck in Ireland for the next ~ three weeks (no offense to Eroica and the rest of the Irish -- it's a wonderful country, I just would rather be at a Super Bowl party in the USA tonight). Need to be at work tomorrow at 8AM too, and being 5 hrs ahead really bites.

Probably too late to take a poll to see who the winner might be --- chances are most Bauters who are interested in the game probably aren't on the Web right now.

Go Steelers!

kleindoofy
2009-Feb-01, 10:34 PM
Who cares about the game?

We all just want to see bare mammary glands at half-time and watch as America implodes because of them. :lol:

pghnative
2009-Feb-01, 10:36 PM
I have this vision of Bruce Springsteen with a sunburst nipple decoration...

Tucson_Tim
2009-Feb-01, 10:37 PM
Is this a bowling thread? ;)

Fazor
2009-Feb-01, 10:40 PM
Probably too late to take a poll to see who the winner might be --- chances are most Bauters who are interested in the game probably aren't on the Web right now.
Go Steelers!

That's the beauty of laptops ;) Though I'm watching 'Phenius and Pherb' to kill time before kickoff.

I went to school in Pitt for a bit (rhyme! 3points!), plus thier not only in the right conference, but the right division (I'm a Browns fan ... if you can't have a winning season, at least having the champs in your division gives you the "our division's tough!" excuse. Just forget about the Bengals. ;))

So, a 'burg win wouldn't be bad. But at the same time, it'd be cool to see Arizona get thier first win. I'll probably be cheering for them (who doesn't like an underdog?) but I dont really care who wins.

pghnative
2009-Feb-01, 10:43 PM
(I'm a Browns fan ... if you can't have a winning season, at least having the champs in your division gives you the "our division's tough!" excuse....
So, a 'burg win wouldn't be bad....Wow -- they might revoke your Ohio driver's license for that. You may be the only Browns fan in the nation willing to go that far.

Fazor
2009-Feb-01, 10:45 PM
Wow -- they might revoke your Ohio driver's license for that. You may be the only Browns fan in the nation willing to go that far.
No, you always want your conference to win. At least, I always do. Same way I'll cheer for the Wolverines in a bowl game, even though during the regular season they're the most hated of all teams. Of course, it was hard to hate them this year, as they took themselves out of the equation... :)

pghnative
2009-Feb-01, 10:51 PM
I'm the opposite --- I'm from the "root for your team and also root for whomever is playing your enemy" camp.

Of course, over the years I've cultivated the Browns, Ravens, Bengals, Titans (used to be Oilers), Cowboys and Patriots as enemies --- makes it tough sometimes to find enough teams to root for!

Fazor
2009-Feb-01, 10:56 PM
The Browns as enemies? It's not like they ever beat Pitt. Stupid Cleveland. "Next year!" (that's our motto).

Chuck
2009-Feb-01, 11:07 PM
I was hatched in Pittsburgh and lived there during the Steelers' first two Superbowl wins. Then I moved to Arizona. I have two home teams and they're both in the Superbowl so I can't lose.

Prediction: Steelers 31, Cardinals 10.

Gandalf223
2009-Feb-01, 11:15 PM
I'm in it for the commercials. I went to the store and got my 3-D glasses today.

Go Seahawks!

Cylinder
2009-Feb-01, 11:15 PM
Cards by 10.

Chuck
2009-Feb-01, 11:21 PM
The supermarket was out of the glasses but those commercials will air again and again for weeks. I'll see them in 3D later. I don't really need another Chuck and wasn't going to watch it anyway.

Fazor
2009-Feb-01, 11:23 PM
I didn't get a chance to get to the grocery store; I was too busy sleeping on the couch all day yesterday and today ;)

That means no wings or nachos for the game :( Plenty of beer; just nothing to eat with it. That's okay though.

pghnative
2009-Feb-01, 11:26 PM
I was hatched in Pittsburgh which part? The North Hills area for me...

I'm in it for the commercials.that's another downside of being outside the USA --- only local commercials. I'll need to surf the internet to check them out.

As I type, there are four Arizona Cardinals cheerleaders doing a cheesecake filled commercial for "Sky sports 1", the channel covering the Super Bowl. That's another reason to root for the Steelers -- they don't bother with cheerleaders.

Cheerleaders are fine in high school, or for smaller college teams, where they, you know, actually lead cheers. But they're pretty useless, other than eye candy, beyond that. And if you're paying attention to the eye candy, you're not paying attention to the football.

Chuck
2009-Feb-01, 11:36 PM
I lived in the far east, Wilkinsburg.

Chuck
2009-Feb-01, 11:38 PM
Touchdown, Steelers!

Chuck
2009-Feb-01, 11:39 PM
Pending the result of the challenge, of course.

Chuck
2009-Feb-01, 11:43 PM
Field goal, Steelers! Three to nothing.

pghnative
2009-Feb-01, 11:43 PM
Where's the refs from Super Bowl XL when you need them!!

KaiYeves
2009-Feb-01, 11:55 PM
My brothers and mom are watching downstairs. I don't really care to watch sports, unless it's the Olympics.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:03 AM
First Quarter's over --- anyone with 3/0 in the grid game is a winner.

Steeler's threatening --- need to get a touchdown this time to keep the pressure on.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 12:08 AM
Touchdown, Steelers, maybe?

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:09 AM
no review needed this time. Steelers score a TD (running too!). 10-0

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 12:12 AM
Yeah, it's certianly looking a little lopsided so far. SI had an article about "The Elusive 'Mo'" takling about momentum. Kinda a tounge-in-cheek (not so serious) article about what announcers always talk about; "momentum". It kept saying "Only announcers can tell when a team has it or doesn't." ...which is **. I agree it's hard to define exactly what it is or how it "works", but it usually pretty obvious when one team has it.

... and no, I'm not saying that there's some magical "momentum" force; but teams will click, they'll get confident, the coaches will be able to see what the opposition is trying to do and shift play calls accordingly, etc. Regardless of what all the "ingrediants" are, it's usually easy for anyone to see who has it (though it's not always there; thouse grind'em-out's for instance). Right now, it's pretty apparent that Pittsburgh owns the 'mo. Still early though, maybe the Cards can steal some back.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:20 AM
Cardinals moving the ball --- this is what I've feared: Warner, with his quick release, picking the Steelers apart.

uggg --- now it's first and goal from the 2

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 12:21 AM
Touchdown, Cardinals!

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 12:22 AM
Here they come! 10-7 Pitt after the TD catch by Fitzgerald.

That Fitzgerald is amazing. If there's a group of guys going up for a ball, he always seems to find a way to come down with it.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:24 AM
actually, the TD was by the tight end --- Ben Patrick I think is the name

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I misheard. Or they said the wrong name initially. Just realized it when they said Fitz hasn't caught a pass yet

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:40 AM
Big stop by the Steelers. Would be nice to drive down and get a score before the half. At least need to get a first down or two, so they don't give the Cardinals a chance to score themselves.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:41 AM
rats --- interception off a tipped ball

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 12:45 AM
Hee. Sorry, pghnative, when none of my teams are involved, I tend to cheer for the underdog.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:46 AM
aargh. missed Steelers interception. Ike Taylor couldn't catch a cold

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:47 AM
Hee. Sorry, pghnative, when none of my teams are involved, I tend to cheer for the underdog.yeah, I almost always do the same. (though the rule in post 8 takes precedence)

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 12:52 AM
Interception by Pittsburgh at the goal line! Run back for a touchdown!

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 12:53 AM
holy &%$#@ *&^#$, *&#$g

Chuck
Sigh! Pending review.

pghnative
might be overturned though

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 12:55 AM
It's going to be a tough call. I should delay posting this that way regardless of the outcome, I could say "I knew it!" :)

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 12:56 AM
Touchdown! 17 to 7 at half time.

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 01:01 AM
Holey SMOLEY!!! Heh, Sweet interception->touchdown.

Yeah, pghnative, re: post 8: because of my pirate ancestry, I'll cheer the Raiders, the Buccs, and usually the Vikings (for their pro-pillage stance), in that order. I'll cheer against New England on general principle (they're clearly pro-ninja.)

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 01:11 AM
Yeah, pghnative, re: post 8: because of my pirate ancestry...For a second there, I thought you were professing love for Pittsburgh's baseball team.

Amazing that a city can have such a successful football team, and yet the baseball franchise (once a success) hardly ever fields a team worthy of triple-A.

ETA -- I'll still root for them though, 'cause I'm a sucker for geography.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 01:11 AM
so far I'm underwhelmed by Bruce

kleindoofy
2009-Feb-02, 01:15 AM
Is there any special reason that Springsteen is running around the stage like an ape on crack?

Is that supposed to improve the music? If so, it's not working.

Does it make him more "hip"?

I'm afraid I just don't get it.

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 01:21 AM
He's having fun. More power to him.

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 01:48 AM
No second half posts yet? I hope the NFL-goons aren't pick'n us off one-by-one for recounting the game without the expressed written consent of both ABC and the NFL. :hides:

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 01:49 AM
Or maybe he's old and in denial about it.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 01:50 AM
First and goal for Pittsburgh on the Cardinals' five yard line! My 31 to 10 prediction is shaping up nicely.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 01:54 AM
Fourth down, but personal foul by Arizona. Automatic first down.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 01:57 AM
A lousy field goal? So much for my prediction of exactly 31.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 02:02 AM
No second half posts yet? I took the opportunity to use old fashioned technology (phone) and call some friends/family.

Was a little frustrating on that last Steelers drive, since while on the phone to my brother, his game was ~ 5 seconds ahead of mine. So before I could see the play, he's be reacting to what happened.

I almost hung up on him, till we realized that it would be bad karma (Steelers were moving the ball nicely). Stayed on till the first field goal, then had to quickly call back after the personal foul. The karma wore out, I guess..

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 02:03 AM
A lousy field goal? So much for my prediction of exactly 31.maybe on the next TD they'll go for two.:whistle:

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 02:05 AM
The lawyers representing the party of the first part (NFL, thereafter referred to as 'us') have not taken express action against the party of the second part (Moose, thereafter referred to as 'chew toy') for unlicensed multicast coverage (designated 'posting').

Any furtive noises ('knocks') are nothing to be concerned about, Fazor. Nothing at all. It is certainly not 'us' preparing to serve suit.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 02:25 AM
Last year I noticed that analog signals arrive several seconds ahead of digital signals, so I watched some baseball and football games on a digital TV while listening to the sound on an analog TV. It's seemed a little weird to have an announcer call a pass incomplete while the quarterback is still dropping back into the pocket or to have a strike called during the windup. I could get used to it though, and then I'd know where to look for the ball and never be fooled by fake handoffs.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 02:26 AM
Touchdown, Cardinals. My prediction is dead.

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 02:28 AM
Well, the Cards are back in it. Took 'em three minutes to do that. They have seven minutes to do that again.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 02:35 AM
Cards definitely have the momentum. (and I'm not even an announcer)

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 02:43 AM
assuming the steelers don't get the field goal, they should purposefully take a safety

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 02:44 AM
which is why they should pass on 3rd

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 02:45 AM
Safety on a penalty, but a 4 point lead isn't much different from a 6 point lead right now. Steelers 20, Cardinals 16.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 02:48 AM
Touchdown, Cardinals!

Moose
WOOO!!!!! Hehehe, Cards with a sweet touchdown.

pghnative
Safety on a penalty, but a 4 point lead isn't much different from a 6 point lead right now. Steelers 20, Cardinals 16.now it's big -- steelers need a td to win, field goal to tie

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 03:00 AM
Touchdown, Pittsburgh! At least the Cardinals made it exciting.

Well, it's also not quite over yet.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 03:00 AM
As usual, pending review.

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 03:02 AM
*lol* Oh man.

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 03:02 AM
can't the steelers whiff the endzone without a review

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 03:03 AM
26-23 -- pending point after

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 03:05 AM
27-23 --- I say they should put 3 guys on Fitzgerald

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 03:07 AM
I think no matter who wins, the QB gets the MVP

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 03:08 AM
Cardinals fumble. It's all over now.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 03:09 AM
Pending review.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 03:10 AM
It's a fumble. Game over. Yay! One of my two home teams in the Superbowl champion!

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 03:11 AM
WOW!. Great game. I'd have preferred a blowout (mostly cause it's 3AM here, and I need my sleep), but a close game is better for the league

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 03:11 AM
Well. Nobody can say this wasn't a football game, eh?

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 03:12 AM
would have been nice if there had been fewer penalties, and fewer reviews. Not that I mind the reviews (though they almost all went against the Steelers) -- I like it so that the right call is made. Just a shame that there were so many, it really cuts into the enjoyment of the game

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 03:13 AM
The British commentator is calling this the best Super Bowl ever --- I don't know, I think too many penalties, sloppy on both sides

Moose
2009-Feb-02, 03:16 AM
Well, I can agree in that this is by far the most exciting Superbowl I've seen. I could have done with fewer penalties as well, but meh, nobody got killed. Certainly, the game wasn't as rough as the last few hockey games I've seen.

Chuck
2009-Feb-02, 03:16 AM
I liked it, but that's subject to review.

publius
2009-Feb-02, 03:17 AM
I was pulling for the Cards, but I must agree this was one heck of a game. Good game, indeed.

-Richard

Fazor
2009-Feb-02, 03:29 AM
I had quit watching when the cards went down 20-7, but came back just in time for the 20-14. End of the game was good (as in close) but I agree with pgh in that there were too many sloppy plays and stupid penalties. But you'll have that; at least they were about even on both sides.

redshifter
2009-Feb-02, 04:43 AM
It was a great game, but last year's SB was better IMO.

DyerWolf
2009-Feb-02, 06:25 AM
Naw - gotta give this one the title of Best Superbowl of the Decade.

Despite the penalties (and the fact I was rooting for my old hometown team - which lost) I think the game was great - because BOTH sides were biting their nails until the end. I really can't stand the Blow-out bowls which happen all too often. Warner and Roethlisberger both did a heck of a job - as did their teams.

And, I have to give props to the officials (even though I'm not sold on the review process)... they made good calls throughout. I didn't scream at the refs on the screen one time (which is another Superbowl record, BTW).

pghnative
2009-Feb-02, 08:56 AM
It was a great game, but last year's SB was better IMO.You could almost say it was the same game. Unless I misremember, the Giants were ahead most of the game, until a late Patriots touchdown put them ahead. Then the Giants mounted a final drive to score the go-ahead touchdown with very little time left. (ETA: exactly 35 seconds left, apparently, for both games)

Main difference is that last year, the underdog won. But that has as much to do with preconceived notions as anything else.

geonuc
2009-Feb-02, 10:00 AM
And, I have to give props to the officials (even though I'm not sold on the review process)... they made good calls throughout. I didn't scream at the refs on the screen one time (which is another Superbowl record, BTW).
Mostly, they did a good job. But I don't think Pittsburgh's touchdown should have been taken away on review. The rules say the replay evidence must be clear to overturn the call on the field. I don't think it was, although it appeared perhaps Big Ben was a bit short of the goal line.

mugaliens
2009-Feb-02, 04:07 PM
I'm glad to see everyone having such a good time!

I was off at a friend's, enjoying some of Mug's Homemade, award-winning Chili. I call this version Chili Crab Key, as it contains (what else?) crab meat.

redshifter
2009-Feb-02, 06:38 PM
Naw - gotta give this one the title of Best Superbowl of the Decade.

Despite the penalties (and the fact I was rooting for my old hometown team - which lost) I think the game was great - because BOTH sides were biting their nails until the end. I really can't stand the Blow-out bowls which happen all too often. Warner and Roethlisberger both did a heck of a job - as did their teams.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I found last year's SB more exciting and memorable.

Buttercup
2009-Feb-02, 06:57 PM
Chili with crab meat? That's...unique. I'd try it. :)

Wasn't Bruce Springsteen/E Street Band terrific?? :D I loved his energy; he gives 100% to the crowd. Have always liked his music, and now MUST see him/them in concert some day. Woooo! That 12 minutes went by too fast. Wish he'd do the Half Time at every Super Bowl, lol!

Swift
2009-Feb-02, 08:26 PM
I thought Bruce was great, but I liked Tom Petty even better last year.

Oh, and that stuff before and after the rock concert was ok too. ;)

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 01:21 PM
I didn't see Tom last year; that's probably the one half-time show I would have watched. I caught parts of Bruce (the parts I could hear in between me playing my guitar ... not a better halftime performance, just more entertaining ;). He sounded okay, I guess. I'm just not a fan of all that. I watch football for football. Guess that makes me silly.

Buttercup
2009-Feb-03, 01:44 PM
Tom Petty last year? I don't recall (though should). Heck, I wish they'd canceled the rest of the game and just let Bruce/band continue...! :p

Moose
2009-Feb-03, 01:52 PM
Heh, Buttercup, might have been better had they cancelled the _first_ half of the game and let Bruce play early. The second half was the good part.

Buttercup
2009-Feb-03, 03:25 PM
Lol! :D So true, Moose.

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 03:27 PM
Well, the first half was very good if you were a Steelers fan. Not caring either way (as mentioned in the beginning, I had reasons to cheer for both teams); I would have prefered a closer game in the first half, but the end sure didn't dissapoint.

Buttercup
2009-Feb-03, 03:31 PM
My hubby was very sure the Cardinals had won, as was I. He's a Steelers fan to the max. With 2.53 minutes to go, I told him there was still a chance. Sure enough! :)

I was reading during most of the game, lol. :p

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 03:37 PM
If I had to pick one I was pulling for the most, it was the Cards. I quit watching just after half-time, thinking the Cards hadn't been playing well enough to overcome the deficit. I came back just in time to see the 20-14 Card TD, and stayed for the rest of the game.

I, too, was pretty sure the Cards had won it. But Big Ben, who I have mixed feelings about, has generally been great at keeping his composure. He proved it again. Can't argue with results.

pghnative
2009-Feb-04, 12:36 PM
Heh, Buttercup, might have been better had they cancelled the _first_ half of the game and let Bruce play early. The second half was the good part.Excepting the interception return, of course which was exciting and stressful for both sides (Arizona fans desperately wanting to get him tackled, Pittsburgh fans realizing that time would expire, and desperately needing him to go all 100 yrds)

But Big Ben, who I have mixed feelings about, has generally been great at keeping his composure. You should like him -- he's a Ohioan (Ohian? Ohidian? Ohioite?). Not sure I understand why he didn't win the MVP. Most of the big plays that Santonio Holmes made were a result of Ben scrambling a bit to keep the play alive.

Agreed though, I too thought the Cards won it with Fitzgerald 2nd TD (man that guy is fast.) My second thought after that TD (my first thought is unprintable here) was "well, at least there is plenty of time on the clock", but still wasn't feeling too good.

Fazor
2009-Feb-04, 01:08 PM
I don't know where Roth grew up, but he went to school down at Miami of Ohio, which is where my mom went.

But no true Ohioan would play for Pittsburgh. Bleck. ;)

Moose
2009-Feb-04, 02:28 PM
Excepting the interception return, of course which was exciting and stressful for both sides (Arizona fans desperately wanting to get him tackled, Pittsburgh fans realizing that time would expire, and desperately needing him to go all 100 yrds)

Yeah, except that way the Cards would have won. :D

(my first thought is unprintable here)

I bet it was. My first thought was that I'd have loved to have seen the look on your face during the play. :D

pghnative
2009-Feb-05, 03:19 PM
I don't know where Roth grew upOhio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_roethlisberger), born and bred (assuming you'll accept wiki as a source on matters of such importance:lol:).

Heh, according to that article, his high school coach didn't play him at quarterback as a junior, instead letting his son start instead. No nepotism there. Years later, the coach told a local newspaper, "I'm a nationally known knucklehead."

My first thought was that I'd have loved to have seen the look on your face during the play. :D Now that's just plain mean.:lol: