PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this idea for the Newport Tower

Hans
2009-Feb-03, 03:44 AM
Found this astronomical claim on the following website

http://www.chronognostic.org/over_touro_park.html

Go down a few paragraphs. It claims the Newport tower was actually built as an observatory.

The data looks forced to me. To the see the sundown on you have to stand not in the center of the structure but against one wall.

Opinions

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-03, 01:29 PM
...Go down a few paragraphs. It claims the Newport tower was actually built as an observatory...
It is possible because people did rely on positional observation for determining seasons and such. I wouldn't call that an observatory myself, I would call it a calender, but it is a way to check astronomical positions.

It is also possible that this was simply an observation post with forced alignments. Many structures relied on astronomical objects for orientation.

...To the see the sundown on you have to stand not in the center of the structure but against one wall...
That makes sense to me. It's not so much about watching it, but being able to mark it. Kind of like a sundial.

mugaliens
2009-Feb-03, 07:54 PM
Observing the summer soltice above one tower while viewing the North star just to the right of another seems perfectly legit to me. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to build a primative observatory - if it gives you the solstices or equinoxes as it's intended, then it's a success.

Veeger
2009-Feb-05, 11:47 AM
The evidence definitely looks contrived to me. When intent of astronomical alignment is seen in ancient structures, the alignments are better than what is seen here even though this structure would have been built with the benefit of "modern" navigational or engineering instruments.