PDA

View Full Version : skydiving accident

Chunky
2009-Feb-03, 04:16 AM
[U]i thoght this was... :(

mest up huh?

I have removed the link in this thread, please do not post those kind of links in this forum as there are children using this board. chrissy

<WARNING: Graphic and disturbing content!>

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-03, 03:05 PM
i thoght this was... :(
mest up huh?

(if anyone's wondering, it's not the same as the tandem Link Removed)
Yep; it is messed up. They mention 150mph, but I assume that is drop speed, I wonder what the closure speed is, especially after being a mile apart.

(on the lighter side. I do think the video typo isn't about searching for water)

Neverfly
2009-Feb-03, 03:30 PM
(if anyone's wondering, it's not the same as the tandem Link Removed)
Yep; it is messed up. They mention 150mph, but I assume that is drop speed, I wonder what the closure speed is, especially after being a mile apart.
The clip mentioned a combined closure speed of 300 miles per hour.
Considering the catastrophic effects of the impact- that's believable.

The force of the impact was most likely more than enough to shear the heart right off its valves and possibly rupture both lungs. It's no wonder that Jose was killed when his arm collided with the survivors legs.
Had he impacted higher up, they most likely both would have not survived.

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 03:35 PM
That's an old video. Haven't seen it on youtube, but it's made the rounds on the "Most extreeme" type shows, aswell as one about near-death survivals on the Discovery curcuit.

IIRC (can't review the video at the moment), it was the guy who's legs were sheared off that lived, right?

Neverfly
2009-Feb-03, 03:37 PM
That's an old video. Haven't seen it on youtube, but it's made the rounds on the "Most extreeme" type shows, aswell as one about near-death survivals on the Discovery curcuit.

IIRC (can't review the video at the moment), it was the guy who's legs were sheared off that lived, right?
Yes, it is.

Which...

I was curious after viewing that clip, as it's the first of it I have seen, about what happened to that guy after.

Fazor
2009-Feb-03, 03:38 PM
IIRC from the Discovery show, he's back to skydiving. Could be wrong.
(ETA: With prosthetics, of course)

sarongsong
2009-Feb-03, 10:46 PM
(if anyone's wondering, it's not the same as the tandem Link Removed)...I see no "tandem" reference at that link. :confused:

One that could have gone worse:
February 2, 2009
A Georgia-based soldier says his military training helped him land safely on his first skydiving jump after the instructor strapped to his back died from an apparent heart attack...
San Diego Union-Tribune (signonsandiego parachute)

Neverfly
2009-Feb-03, 11:40 PM
IIRC from the Discovery show, he's back to skydiving. Could be wrong.
(ETA: With prosthetics, of course)
Wow!
I didn't see that answer coming.
Good for him!

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-04, 01:38 PM
I see no "tandem" reference at that link. :confused:
Well maybe not spelled the same, but the second sentence in the linked post says:

Skydiving instructor dies mid-jump; tandom diver survives.

OK; maybe the linked story isn't in that post itself, but there was immediate further discussion, so you didn't need to look far.

sarongsong
2009-Feb-04, 08:13 PM
Hey, I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out what you are/were referring to---and it ain't there.

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-04, 08:17 PM
Hey, I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out what you are/were referring to---and it ain't there.
Maybe we are on two completely different wavelengths. So maybe you can summarize for me what it is you see that I linked to. :think:

mugaliens
2009-Feb-04, 11:32 PM
The clip mentioned a combined closure speed of 300 miles per hour.
Considering the catastrophic effects of the impact- that's believable.

Not possible. Terminal velocity with the suits is around 120 kts, which is straight down. Sideways tracking is doable, but only about 15-20 deg from verticle, which means a max horizontal velocity of about 40 kts. For two skydivers heading in opposite directions, that's an 80 kt closure speed.

In the 1970s there was a guy who used to jump over speeding (70 mph) cars, until one day when he didn't jump quite high enough and lost his feet.

80 kts, which is 92 mph, is more than enough velocity to do the damage that was done.

sarongsong
2009-Feb-05, 01:36 AM
Maybe we are on two completely different wavelengths. So maybe you can summarize for me what it is you see that I linked to. :think:When I click your link, I end up at the top of page 12 of the Read that again? (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/58911-read-again.html) thread. Was that your intention?

Fazor
2009-Feb-05, 03:05 PM
Yes, I suppose you should read that thread again. :) There's only two or three posts in that thread related to the tandom skydive, but they're there.

SeanF
2009-Feb-05, 03:31 PM
When I click your link, I end up at the top of page 12 of the Read that again? (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/58911-read-again.html) thread. Was that your intention?
No. He's trying to send you to post 472 in that thread. It's probably on Page 16 of the thread for you (try this link (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/58911-read-again-16.html#post1425116)).

He has his "posts per page" set to 40, so that particular post is on page 12 for him. Yours is (probably) still set at the default of 30, so it's on page 16 for you.

Why the software uses the page number as part of the link - which means it only works if your user settings aren't different - and then calls it a "permalink" (as in permanent) is beyond me. This issue has come up before, though.

sarongsong
2009-Feb-05, 07:41 PM
...He has his "posts per page" set to 40, so that particular post is on page 12 for him. Yours is (probably) still set at the default of 30, so it's on page 16 for you...Ah, thanks SeanF---didn't know about that setting, and went a couple pages in either direction before giving up. :doh:

Chunky
2009-Feb-06, 07:44 AM
it only showed a mist of red 0.o

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-06, 05:16 PM
...and then calls it a "permalink" (as in permanent) is beyond me. This issue has come up before, though
Yeah; I've been caught by that before, but I thought the URL had the post s/n instead of another reference. But; my links been removed, so I could be mistaken.

SeanF
2009-Feb-06, 05:26 PM
Yeah; I've been caught by that before, but I thought the URL had the post s/n instead of another reference. But; my links been removed, so I could be mistaken.
It does have the post s/n, but it also has the page number.

My link's still there, and it shows as

http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/58911-read-again-16.html#post1425116

Your link would have been

http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/58911-read-again-12.html#post1425116
The problem is that the anchor referenced by "#post1425116" doesn't appear on the page "58911-read-again-12.html" unless you're set to 40 posts per page. Since it can't find that anchor, your link leaves the viewer at the top of page 12.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm curious as to what you get when you click on my link, since there is no page 16 in that thread on your settings...

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-06, 05:48 PM
...EDITED TO ADD: I'm curious as to what you get when you click on my link, since there is no page 16 in that thread on your settings...
It works fine, but it also get's redirected to the page 12 url.
My address bar ends up at "...58911-read-again-12.html"

cjl
2009-Feb-06, 11:12 PM
Not possible. Terminal velocity with the suits is around 120 kts, which is straight down. Sideways tracking is doable, but only about 15-20 deg from verticle, which means a max horizontal velocity of about 40 kts. For two skydivers heading in opposite directions, that's an 80 kt closure speed.

In the 1970s there was a guy who used to jump over speeding (70 mph) cars, until one day when he didn't jump quite high enough and lost his feet.

80 kts, which is 92 mph, is more than enough velocity to do the damage that was done.

In a full out track, you can achieve significantly more than a 40 knot sideways velocity. If you're decent at it, and have the body position right, you can achieve close to a 1:1 glide ratio in a full track. Your vertical speed is slowed from your standard terminal velocity though, so it ends up being about 80-90 mph both down and sideways.

mugaliens
2009-Feb-06, 11:40 PM
In a full out track, you can achieve significantly more than a 40 knot sideways velocity. If you're decent at it, and have the body position right, you can achieve close to a 1:1 glide ratio in a full track. Your vertical speed is slowed from your standard terminal velocity though, so it ends up being about 80-90 mph both down and sideways.

Then that's a closure of 180 mph, which is a little shy of 300 mph.

cjl
2009-Feb-07, 07:15 AM
True. 300 is definitely optimistic, but you can achieve a velocity that is thoroughly dangerous.

RalofTyr
2009-Feb-07, 08:07 AM
I thought Chunky had a sky diving accident.

And then I thought, cool, he survived it...