PDA

View Full Version : Pole Shift is Coming

Superluminal
2003-Nov-24, 02:20 AM
Or at least that is the conclusion of the latest Nova. Pole shifts have occured about every 200,000 years, but the last one was 700,000 years ago, so we are over due. Our magnetic field is showing signs of weakening and some researchers believe it is a sign that the poles are about to flip. But the bad news for Nancy is that PX has nothing to do with it.

SpaceTrekkie
2003-Nov-24, 04:27 AM
Don't let nancy find out! next she will be saying that since we should have had a pole shift that PX stopped it since it was gonna cause one too and they cancled each other out!

tmosher
2003-Nov-24, 05:24 AM
According to a mid 1980's KQED science show called The Living Machine, there have been nine magnetic pole shifts according to measurements of the mid-Atlantic rift.

Oh well...guess I'll have to have a new compass swing done on the Cessna.

Tom

LTC8K6
2003-Nov-24, 12:48 PM
Nancy is promoting a physical pole shift though, not a magnetic pole shift.

She does use the confusion between the two to her advantage.

The Shade
2003-Nov-24, 03:07 PM
That NOVA episode was pretty good, but I think that, if we really don't want Nancy to use this as proof of PX, we shouldn't call this a pole shift, but rather call it by its technical term: a magnetic field reversal.

Earthbound
2003-Nov-24, 05:00 PM
Did the Nova special say if the poles when reversed would be oriented North - South (or is that South - North :wink: ), or will the magnetic poles reside in a different orientation? Didn't see the special, but sounds interesting.

kanon14
2003-Nov-24, 09:29 PM
i've always wondered how much of our lives would be affected by such a magnetic pole shift. and is there any way to prevent it or how could we do to minimize the damages?

TriangleMan
2003-Nov-24, 09:44 PM
i've always wondered how much of our lives would be affected by such a magnetic pole shift. and is there any way to prevent it or how could we do to minimize the damages?

Prevent? No, AFAIK there is no way for us to prevent the magnetic reversal of the Earth.

Damage: Once the field got to low enough strength it could cause problems with satellites and other communications equipment similar to what happened with those solar flares a while back. IIRC magnetic reversals have not been linked to any mass extintion period so it is unlikely that we will hit with lethal radiation, cosmic rays and so forth.

Madcat
2003-Nov-24, 09:48 PM
We will all need to remember that the compasses are backwards though, huh?

TriangleMan
2003-Nov-24, 09:55 PM
Here's NASA's (http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/earthmag/magnQ&A1.htm)Q&A on magnetic fields.

Superluminal
2003-Nov-25, 01:37 AM
So according to LTC8K6, Nancy is saying that the Earth is actually going to flip over on its axis? I read in a Carl Sagan book, debunking Velocavski, that the amount of energy required to make the Earth stop spinning would be enough to make the surface become molten. So, I think that making the Earth flip over would be even worse, does Nancy know that?

Also, Nova said that when the field weakens enough, we can expect higher cancer rates. But not enough to threaten the human race.

Archer17
2003-Nov-25, 01:49 AM
So according to LTC8K6, Nancy is saying that the Earth is actually going to flip over on its axis? I read in a Carl Sagan book, debunking Velocavski, that the amount of energy required to make the Earth stop spinning would be enough to make the surface become molten. So, I think that making the Earth flip over would be even worse, does Nancy know that?... I think you're beginning to see why we say Nancy and her claims are full of it. She's not playing with a full deck.

tazmandevil3
2003-Dec-02, 09:49 PM
Or any deck whatsoever.

foxd
2003-Dec-02, 10:02 PM
She's a few Pikachus short of a Pokemon!