PDA

View Full Version : On-Line tax filing - Not worth it!

Bearded One
2009-Feb-05, 02:05 AM
I started at about 5:30 pm, it's now 7:49 pm and I just finished. I file the 1040 EZ form!

I tried doing it yesterday but my session timed out before the first page even finished loading. :doh: Today was a little better, but not much. Yesterday, while I was waiting for the page to load, I went to irs.gov, downloaded the form and filled it out before the on-line site page finished loading. ;) I was curious what my refund would be. The form was basically complete, just had to add my name and stuff at the top and sign the bottom. Address an envelope and put a stamp on it and I would have been done. I wanted to do it the quick and easy on-line way though. Big mistake. Not only did doing it on-line take about, oh, 15 times longer, it actually cost me more because I elected to file the state form electronically. Federal is free, state cost $$.

Next year I need to find a new site or go back to the old fashioned way, this ordeal was ridiculous. I used TaxACT Online this year. It was real quick the first time I used the site a few years ago but has sure gone downhill since. The "wizard" type interface slows you down a lot if you already have all the information. I'd prefer just showing me the form and letting me fill it in instead of it prompting me with a question or three for each line.

[EDIT] Hmmm, maybe next year I will try this site (https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/FFA/Gateway.htm).

Chuck
2009-Feb-05, 03:05 AM
Three years ago I filed my federal and state taxes online for free. Two years ago they wanted money for state filing so I used a paper form for state. Last year they would have filed both for free but the state wouldn't accept the electronic filing because I was filing from out of state. I wasn't really out of state but I guess the online service was. I had to use a paper form for state again. I guess it will be the same for this year. The services I've looked at will file federal for free but want money for state. I'm not paying to pay my taxes.

I like tne online forms. They seem faster than using the paper forms. I also use the simplest form, 1040EZ.

Gillianren
2009-Feb-05, 05:43 AM
I didn't have problems filing online the last time I filed. (I don't anymore, because no taxable income.) Graham files online every year and has no problems. Of course, we don't have to worry about filling out state income tax here in Washington.

Francisco
2009-Feb-05, 06:50 AM
It's always a disaster no matter what way I file. That's why I stopped sixteen years ago.

BigDon
2009-Feb-05, 08:33 AM
Francisco, considering all the money the goverment needs to give away, with no hope of recouping, I wouldn't kid about that!

jokergirl
2009-Feb-05, 09:19 AM
Really? Here in Sweden, your taxes are calculated for you - if everything looks all right, you go online, fill in a number that is on the form you got sent into an online formular and sign it. Done!

;)

geonuc
2009-Feb-05, 01:22 PM
Really? Here in Sweden, your taxes are calculated for you - if everything looks all right, you go online, fill in a number that is on the form you got sent into an online formular and sign it. Done!

;)
It's probable Sweden's tax code is a bit less voluminous than the US code.

Do you not have things like personal deductions for charitable gifts and the like?

SeanF
2009-Feb-05, 02:23 PM
Francisco, considering all the money the goverment needs to give away, with no hope of recouping, I wouldn't kid about that!
Don't worry, Don - when Francisco gets tapped for a high-ranking government position, he'll just pay up then. :)

I've never filed on-line, but I do use the fillable PDF forms rather than writing it out by hand.

Doodler
2009-Feb-05, 02:33 PM
I used to use the Tele-file system with the IRS. 15 minutes to do my state and federal returns. Beautiful system. Pity they tanked it in favor of their web system. The IRS website...don't get me started, I'll just say something that'll get me banned.

These days I use Turbotax online. It works well, but I hate their fee structure.

Jim
2009-Feb-05, 02:40 PM
I've been doing our and our daughter's taxes online for several years. It's been fairly easy and trouble free.

Yeah, it can take a bit longer because the software asks all sorts of questions that don't apply, but that's a minor inconvenience.

And, yeah, the Tele-file was even easier.

Bearded One
2009-Feb-06, 12:15 AM
The big problem this time was the slowness of the site. If it responded quickly I would have been finished in 20 minutes or less. I had to wait up to two minutes between many clicks to get to the next question. The day before was even worse. I must have decided to do my taxes at the same time as half the country. :(

Nowhere Man
2009-Feb-06, 12:20 AM
The IRS would really like to move to a simpler tax form:

1. How much did you make last year? _____________
2. Make out a check for that amount.

Fred

Tinaa
2009-Feb-06, 12:31 AM
I use TurboTax online. It takes a bit of time, but I like it. I do my taxes and all my kids use it.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Feb-06, 09:31 AM
It's probable Sweden's tax code is a bit less voluminous than the US code.

Do you not have things like personal deductions for charitable gifts and the like?
Actually I think it's the number of things that are filed automagically that's way higher, so there's very little information you need at add to what's already registered.

mugaliens
2009-Feb-06, 11:10 AM
TaxCut for me. H&R understands finances. TurboTax is too much like Quicken, which never did quite get the interface/finance structure right.