PDA

View Full Version : Firefox crashing....

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-07, 11:18 AM
The last couple of weeks, Firefox crashes on me now and then. I am running Windows XP. I have all the latest versions of XP and Firefox. Never used to crash on me before. Am not doing anything new... Anybody else experience this problem? Any ideas why? Thanks

cjl
2009-Feb-07, 02:31 PM
Does it happen with a specific website? Only when using Javascript? Is there anything (that you can find) in common between the times it crashes?

What version is it?

Middenrat
2009-Feb-07, 02:37 PM
Explorer crashes intermittently of recent weeks also, I'm blaming Defender without any solid proof, but that's the only difference between this and previous stable configurations.

Moose
2009-Feb-07, 04:01 PM
A new update was was released a few days ago. I didn't pay attention to what was fixed, but it might be the instability is just something that crept in on the last update.

I'd try updating to this latest version, see if that helps.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Feb-07, 04:34 PM
The newer versions of firefox won't allow to use the record from the net feature of realaudio which I find annoying.

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-08, 06:23 PM
A new update was was released a few days ago. I didn't pay attention to what was fixed, but it might be the instability is just something that crept in on the last update.

I'd try updating to this latest version, see if that helps.

It crashed with version 3.06, which is the latest version. Never used to crash before. It is also not reproducable. I was accessing a Swiss newsite, it crashed. I re-entered and it was OK.

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-08, 06:24 PM
Does it happen with a specific website? Only when using Javascript? Is there anything (that you can find) in common between the times it crashes?

What version is it?
Not on a specific website. Was not able to find anything in common. Once I accessed a video on a tennis website, and it crashed, but not when I repeated the action. Then accessing a normal text article on a Swiss newsite...:confused:

gzhpcu
2009-Mar-03, 05:52 AM
Still crashing, and I am not the only one having a problem:

http://i.nconspicuo.us/2008/07/11/firefox-crashing-mozilla-crash-reporter-firefox-had-a-problem-and-crashed/

Nobody here experiencing this?

Van Rijn
2009-Mar-03, 06:44 AM
No, I haven't had any recent problems with Firefox. Some thoughts -

In the past (I think back in Firefox 2 days) I'd occasionally have Firefox crash when I had a lot of windows and tabs open. It apparently chewed up too much memory. Firefox 3 seems to handle memory a lot better, but try to check if it happens when the system is more stressed.

There might be some addins that might make crashes more likely (say, acrobat, quicktime, etc.). If it's happening when you open or have open certain media you might want to consider that.

I have one system where Firefox started crashing, then other programs started crashing. It turned out that some DRAM had gone bad. After that was swapped out, everything was fine. It took a while before I tracked down the problem, though. A memory check wouldn't hurt.

Oh, and of course, I'd run a virus check.

gzhpcu
2009-Mar-03, 07:13 AM
Thanks, but I run a virus scan program twice a week. Also, if you read the comments on the thread I posted, it seems a rather common problem which has gotten worse with version 3...:cry:

Jens
2009-Mar-03, 07:40 AM
Nobody here experiencing this?

I also have 3.0.6 running on XP, and haven't noticed anything unusual.