PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely Reunion

Buttercup
2009-Feb-07, 10:14 PM
In school I played clarinet in the band. It was later sold to a family 35 miles away; I vaguely recall parents/daughter in our home to purchase it.

Flash forward 10 years and 200 miles.

In college, working at McDonald's. A few months later a coworker [a stranger] tells me "I have your clarinet." :confused:

She'd gone back through the music books also sold with the clarinet, which had my name on them, lol! She thought my [unusual last name] was familiar; we had indeed met 10 years prior.

Your story?

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-07, 10:54 PM
I had a phone call from a friend i have not spoken to recently. He called to tell me he was living around 300 miles away and was working at a customers house who knew me. How it arises was that i used to compete in moto x competition and this guy was a fellow competitor years ago. He'd moved away and settled down with his new family. My friend who had recently moved to the same area, was fixing his boiler! and just happened to mention that he new some one who rode bikes. So i got to speak with my adversary on the phone who i never made friends with during heated competition (we always had fierce battles and didn't particularly like each other). The nostalgia was brill! Now we are friends!

Good thread BC!

kleindoofy
2009-Feb-07, 11:01 PM
In school I played clarinet ... In college, working at McDonald's. ...
Just think, if you had kept your instrument and practiced, maybe you'd be making your school money playing gigs instead of flipping burgers. ;)

PetersCreek
2009-Feb-08, 06:04 AM
In the fall of 1978, I was stationed at Lowry AFB, Colorado in training to become an avionic sensor systems technician. Also in attendance, were two members of the South Korean air force, because their country had purchased one of our systems with the training to go along with it. When we completed training, they returned to the ROK and I reported to my assignment in Louisiana. About a year and a half later, I was reassigned to a 1-year tour of duty at Kunsan Air Base in South Korea.

Due to a mix up in flight reservations, I spent an unscheduled night at Osan AB. One of my counterparts assigned there took me out that evening to show me around and while we were walking down the street, a familiar face caught my eye. It was Kang, from tech school. We wound up spending part of the evening catching up...as best we could anyway. He'd lost quite a bit of proficiency in English.

About 6 months later, a small group of ROKAF personnel came to our maintenance shop for a tour. Wouldn't you know it, my other Korean classmate, Cho, was among them.

dodecahedron
2009-Feb-09, 12:05 AM
Back in college I had developed a crush on this girl who hung out at the student center and around the newspaper offices. Sometimes she's sneak up behind me to give me hugs, other times she'd (gasp) talk to me and being a generally ronery person these little gestures meant the world to me.
About a year after she joined the newspaper staff I asked her out, she declined and due to circumstances beyond my control I had to drop out of college and never really thought of her nor spoke to her again for the next fifteen years.
This December I was bored, decided to look people up on the internet and discovered her MySpace. We wrote back and forth, started having long telephone calls and I'm going to fly out to meet her this Thursday to tell her some important things which are best said in person rather than in text or over the telephone.

Neverfly
2009-Feb-09, 12:07 AM
Back in college I had developed a crush on this girl who hung out at the student center and around the newspaper offices. Sometimes she's sneak up behind me to give me hugs, other times she'd (gasp) talk to me and being a generally ronery person these little gestures meant the world to me.
About a year after she joined the newspaper staff I asked her out, she declined and due to circumstances beyond my control I had to drop out of college and never really thought of her nor spoke to her again for the next fifteen years.
This December I was bored, decided to look people up on the internet and discovered her MySpace. We wrote back and forth, started having long telephone calls and I'm going to fly out to meet her this Thursday to tell her some important things which are best said in person rather than in text or over the telephone.
Intriguing.... May want an update later.

And just remember... As a man, I can offer you a shoulder and a beer when you get back. If needed.

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-09, 12:17 AM
Intriguing.... May want an update later.

And just remember... As a man, I can offer you a shoulder and a beer when you get back. If needed.

Exactly and this is the sort of tale that keeps us waiting for a conclusion! will you update us sometime! :)

As Cilla Black would say "have we got to get our hats out?":lol:

dodecahedron
2009-Feb-09, 12:27 AM
I've bookmarked the thread and I'll post something next Sunday when I fly back to Colorado.

Neverfly
2009-Feb-09, 12:28 AM
Exactly and this is the sort of tale that keeps us waiting for a conclusion! will you update us sometime! :)

As Cilla Black would say "have we got to get our hats out?":lol:

Yeah, see... I'd make her fly her butt out to see me. If she wants the goods, she can put forth the effort. Especially if she blew it the first time.;)

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-09, 12:31 AM
Yeah, see... I'd make her fly her butt out to see me. If she wants the goods, she can put forth the effort. Especially if she blew it the first time.;)

Would you pay for the flight though?:whistle:

Love conquers all!

Neverfly
2009-Feb-09, 12:34 AM
Would you pay for the flight though?:whistle:

Love conquers all!

Nope.

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-09, 12:37 AM
Nope.

I got the feeling you where going to say that, you romantic you..:whistle:

Neverfly
2009-Feb-09, 12:54 AM
I got the feeling you where going to say that, you romantic you..:whistle:

It's not really a lack of romanticism so much as an overabundance of reality...

cosmocrazy
2009-Feb-09, 01:06 AM
It's not really a lack of romanticism so much as an overabundance of reality...

hmmmm.. reality is not all its made out to be! :whistle:

Neverfly
2009-Feb-09, 01:11 AM
hmmmm.. reality is not all its made out to be! :whistle:

Neither is romance.;)

I notice that you remembered the "h":think:....

jokergirl
2009-Feb-09, 01:50 PM
I met a friend from college on livejournal - I had commented on a random stranger's blog and suddenly I got this e-mail: "Where do you know HER from???" from my friend.

Pretty cool, even though not *that* surprising seeing as geeks in the Austro/German reason are a rare species...

;)

Fazor
2009-Feb-09, 05:11 PM
First part is one of my favorite stories; ends badly though. I was at a party in Pittsburgh. It was after I had moved back to Ohio, but I'd go out once every few months to party with my old friends. Anyway, we were sitting there playing some drinking game, and this really good looking blonde comes up to me and says "Hey, did you go to [highschool]?" ... I wasn't sure how she knew that, but I said 'yes'. She said oh, I'm 'so-and-so', I remember you from school!". I was taken aback--I reckognized the name because she was one of the popular people. But I would never have known who she actually was. Yet she reckognized me and knew me by name. Nice little ego boost ;)

It ends badly because tragically, two weeks after that, she was killed in a car accident. She's one of the four or five of my graduating class to have not made it to our ten year reunion.

Trebuchet
2009-Feb-09, 08:17 PM
In 1972 I was in the Army, stationed in South Korea. After being there six months I took a leave and flew home for my brother's graduation. (Northwest had really cheap airfares for soldiers.) While I was home, a former college roommate came to visit and we stayed up most of the night talking. I recalled a guy who was a friend of a friend when we were freshmen or sophomores but couldn't remember his name. My buddy couldn't either.

For the rest of the leave and after I returned to Korea it continued to bug me that I couldn't remember the guy's name. I kept seeing individuals who had a vague physical resemblance or a similar style of eyeglasses and it would set me off again. I could NOT come up with the name.

About a month later I physically bumped into the guy at the mess hall. He had the advantage of me; he was a medic and had seem my name in their records so he knew I was there. I had to ask him for his!

Buttercup
2009-Feb-09, 08:27 PM
One other for me: Early '90s, working for a group of M.D.'s, I had an instant and inexplicable "tuning into" Dr. Bate. No, it wasn't romantic attraction. I would "know" it was him when the office phone rang [could have been any of the other 7 doctors], could anticipate his requests/needs [though still mostly a stranger]. At one point he looked at me soberly and asked, "Do you have ESP??" He was serious.

Two years later I moved here [1,700 miles away]. Then 14 years later [2007] I'm channel surfing past the Discovery Health channel when I hear "...unusual patient case in Iowa" and "Dr. Bate." :confused:

Not Bates but Bate. I thought, "No...it can't be."

Sure enough! A moment later he was talking to the camera, describing an aspect of the patient's care. :D

What are the odds???

Whirlpool
2009-Feb-10, 03:56 AM
...... it's a small world after all....... :whistle:

jrkeller
2009-Feb-10, 10:04 PM
In the early 90's I went out with this women a few times. Afterwards, I found out that her Aunt and Uncle and my parents were next door neighbors. Strange thing is that we lived in Houston, my parents and her aunt and uncle lived in Fredericksburg TX.

A couple of years ago (summer 2006), I was watching a local show on the Texas elections. They had this speaker, Matt Dowd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Dowd), who looked a lot like a guy I sat next to in German class for two years, but I wasn't sure. Then he smiled and I knew it was him, even though it had been close to 27 years since the last time I saw him. I sent him an email at the University of Texas were he was a visiting professor and now we talk on and off.

mugaliens
2009-Feb-11, 01:49 AM
By chance I hooked up with a friend of mine from college about 2-1/2 years ago. She was back in the states; I was over here. We had a good time, but didn't think I'd get a chance to meet up with her. That changed when I went on a short business trip to a location a few hours away. I took a couple of vacation days and flew a rental plane up to see her. We hung around for about three days, even flying out to visit where we went to school.

Things didn't work out between us, but probably for the better of both of us. She was a sweet gal, and I hope she's doing ok these days.

On another front, I'm currently in a seminar with a guy I knew more than a decade ago. Not really all that unusual, but it's funny to sit across from someone, look at them, and watch as they mouth the same thing you do: "I know you..."

Josh
2009-Feb-11, 02:24 AM
My reunion tale isn't about a long lost friend or even between two people and it's not about me. It is, I think, a brilliant story nonetheless.

My grandparents met in England during WWII. My grandfather was a pilot and my grandmother was in the ... whatever it was that women who served in the army were in ... i forget. Anyway, after their engagement and before my grandfathers next mission, my grandma gave him a really nice watch, "for luck and love" she said. It was engraved on the back of the face.

Many years later, in the 70s, they were travelling "on the continent" as my grandma would say (that's Europe). They were in France or Italy (I can't recall). My grandpa was wearing that watch as he did most days since she'd given it to him. They were at the beach and he'd forgotten to take it off before going into the water. He lost it in the sea.

They were both understandably upset given the sentimental value of the watch.

They continued on their travels and whilst at another beachside town, many kilometers away, my grandpa went into the weater and ... no joke ... the watch floated up to him.

It didn't work anymore. But still. Pretty amazing reunion.

SeanF
2009-Feb-11, 02:51 PM
Supposedly, the coat that Frank Morgan wore as Professor Marvel in "The Wizard of Oz" had previously belonged to L. Frank Baum. The coat had been purchased at a second-hand store for the film and nobody realized it was Baum's until after filming was underway, when Morgan happened to notice a tag with Baum's name on it sewn inside one of the coat's pockets.

Cougar
2009-Feb-11, 03:11 PM
I'm going to fly out to meet her this Thursday to tell her some important things which are best said in person rather than in text or over the telephone.

Wow! Have a good time!

dodecahedron
2009-Feb-16, 03:30 PM
Hello. My name is dodecahedron and I'm a regular platonic solid.
I doubt anyone would remember that I posted about heading out east to meet up with a woman I recently reconnected with over the interbutt. That's what I did over the weekend. Nearly missed the plane due to a flat tire at the price was a gimp knee and a tender back. Fortune has vicious trades but there was no way I was going to delay seeing Leah.
We kept remarking that being together felt like we've been doing this for years despite the length of time between our last meeting (an awkward moment in an empty college conference room where I asked her out and she declined) and hugging her at LaGuardia airport. I made an important declaration which was swiftly and earnestly reciprocated followed by a modest proposal which she accepted without hesitation.
Things could not have gone better except for when we parted ways with sincere promises to be together again soon. I didn't want to leave and would've stayed if it wasn't for my cats and stuff being in Colorado.