PDA

View Full Version : Political Philosophy and Medicine Shows

coberst
2009-Feb-10, 09:05 AM
Political Philosophy and Medicine Shows

I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma during the late 30s and early 40s.

Each summer a medicine show would come to town. The show consisted of two trucks pulling two house trailers and maybe a half-dozen men, women, and children.

The show would set up in a vacant lot with the truck bed as a stage and 2x8s were placed on small kegs for the audience to sit during the shows; they would stay in town for two or three nights then head for the next small town.

The shows were free and the medicine show made their money by selling bottles of “medicine” during show intermissions. I thought the shows were great. I laughed and cried along with many of the adults in the audience.

The bottles of “medicine” (evidently there was no government regulation on such matters in those days) were peddled to the audience during intermission. Just before the intermission one of the show people would explain that the “medicine” healed whatever ailed you. Just take a swig and you would be cured of such ailments as diarrhea, constipation, warts, etc. Anything you could name could be healed by a swig from that bottle. They of course restricted each consumer to a maximum of four bottles because supplies were limited.

I heard some men laugh and say that the bottles consisted of whiskey mixed with cough syrup. I did not know anything about such matters but every one seemed to agree that it was “darn good medicine”. Oklahoma was a “dry” state populated with many “God fearing citizens”.

Every time I hear the political “philosophy” that “tax cuts” could heal all our ailments I remember those summer medicine shows in my home town.

tusenfem
2009-Feb-10, 12:16 PM
This looks like a political thread and has nothing to do with science and technology.

First of all, coberts you seem to have difficulties where to put your messages, this definitely, if anywhere, should be in OTB where I am moving it now.

Do not let this turn into a political thread, which are not allowed here. If that happens I pull the plug.

Delvo
2009-Feb-10, 01:08 PM
This sounds like shows put on by mummers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_Play) (not to be confused with the Mummers Parade), which I never thought were still happening in any presently living person's memory. Somehow I keep thinking of it as a Medieval phenomenon, but now that you make me think of it, I guess Loreena McKennett's song "Mummers' Dance" should have told me that it either still continues now or at least gets re-enacted.

jlhredshift
2009-Feb-10, 01:45 PM
I think you should PM TobiasTheViking, the two of you should have a lot to talk about.

megrfl
2009-Feb-10, 01:59 PM
Political Philosophy and Medicine Shows

I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma during the late 30s and early 40s.

Each summer a medicine show would come to town. The show consisted of two trucks pulling two house trailers and maybe a half-dozen men, women, and children.

The show would set up in a vacant lot with the truck bed as a stage and 2x8s were placed on small kegs for the audience to sit during the shows; they would stay in town for two or three nights then head for the next small town.

The shows were free and the medicine show made their money by selling bottles of “medicine” during show intermissions. I thought the shows were great. I laughed and cried along with many of the adults in the audience.

The bottles of “medicine” (evidently there was no government regulation on such matters in those days) were peddled to the audience during intermission. Just before the intermission one of the show people would explain that the “medicine” healed whatever ailed you. Just take a swig and you would be cured of such ailments as diarrhea, constipation, warts, etc. Anything you could name could be healed by a swig from that bottle. They of course restricted each consumer to a maximum of four bottles because supplies were limited.

I heard some men laugh and say that the bottles consisted of whiskey mixed with cough syrup. I did not know anything about such matters but every one seemed to agree that it was “darn good medicine”. Oklahoma was a “dry” state populated with many “God fearing citizens”.

In a way it's kind of creepy. I'm suprised Stephen King hasn't done a short story on this.
There was a time when Geritol (liquid) was the cure all. Lots of Iron. My dad said his mom took a swig everynight before bedtime. She just turned 94 on Feb. 7th.

Click Ticker
2009-Feb-10, 02:03 PM
Likewise other people think that spending money we don't have will cure whatever ails us. I'm inclined to agree that this is far to political a comment. It would seem to me that the moderators are allowing political jabs that they agree with stand, so long as it doesn't escalate into a debate by having those that disagree reply accordingly.

How about we remove the last sentence from the OP and discuss advances in medicine and some of the interesting treatments people once thought were miracle cures? Perhaps we could even discuss "herbal" medicine and the lack of scrutiny that industry receives.

Swift
2009-Feb-10, 02:30 PM
<snip>
It would seem to me that the moderators are allowing political jabs that they agree with stand, so long as it doesn't escalate into a debate by having those that disagree reply accordingly.

No, moderators do not allow political jabs that they agree with. In addition to being against the rules, given the range of political views among the moderators, it would not be possible.

In each individual case, moderators decide the best course of action for that case: complete deletion, editing, closing threads, allowing discussions within the rules, etc.

tusenfem has given a clear warning that this is not to be turned into a political discussion. Any further politics here and the thread is closed. If you want to talk about medicine, have at it.

And as we have said repeatedly, please do not debate questionable threads or moderator actions within that thread - just report the thread. This was done in this case by another member and that's why the moderators had a look here.

sarongsong
2009-Feb-10, 04:38 PM
...Every time I hear...that “tax cuts” could heal all our ailments I remember those summer medicine shows in my home town.That's nice.
Do you have a solution for "healing all our [presumably financial] ailments", or are we just "talking about the weather" here? http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif