PDA

View Full Version : Anti Black Holes & Expanding Universe

Steve Granville
2009-Feb-13, 10:54 AM
Firstly, let me say this is my first post and that the podcast is fantastic, never miss an episode. You will probably tell by what I'm about to say that I'm no astro physicist and that I like to theorise based on the snippits of info that I pick up. Sometimes I like to just adjust my way of thinking by talking to people who really know what they are talking about!

Listening to a recent podcast the topic of isotropicity and homogenaeity of the universe came up again. I was interested to hear that the theory on why/how the universe is expanding is far from conclusive.

From my little knowledge of black holes, I understand that because of their near infinite gravity and density, they consume everything -including light. But where does all this matter & energy go? I know newtonian mechanics and thermodynamic laws may not apply at these singularities, but it can't just vanish or not exist. I take it there are no signs that black holes become more massive, the more "stuff" they consume as that would contradict the definition of singularity, and matter wouldn't just be converted to more energy as these things have supposedly infinite gravity and therefore infinite energy in the first place. (I don't know - I suppose infinity + 1 is still infinity).

WHAT IF (my two favourite words btw), there is a parallel universe into which black holes eject there excreta (pardon the phrase). What if our universe contains these anti-black holes mysteriously ejecting (in our flatlander view of the 4D world) debris from our anti-universe. Wouldn't that cause our universe to appear to expand? I mean, all that mass has to go somewhere.

AmroB
2009-Feb-14, 10:03 PM
Well, blackholes do eat stuff, merge and get bigger or more massive. And if some imaginative anti blackholes bringing in stuff, our blackholes will be taking stuff away too...

The Universe is so vast and mostly empty so plenty of space to accommodate any addition material. It is Space itself that is expanding. Actually throwing more material into our Universe means more gravity so the expantion rate should be then slowing down...

iniaes
2009-Feb-14, 10:26 PM
I believe that general relativity doesn't exclude "white holes" and black holes "evaporate" via hawkins radiation, where clean vacuume=gravity create elementary particle pairs (positron electron for example) which mutually annihalate achother as opposed to being subsumed by the black hole, which looses the energy to create them, larger black holes take longer to evaporate.

Please correct me if i'm spouting poop by the way, not an expert (yet)