PDA

View Full Version : Survey on E.T.'s

winsor
2009-Feb-17, 02:44 AM
Hi, I'm taking a survey for English class, on peoples beliefs on UFO's if any of you could help I would really appreciate it.

1. Age
2. Gender
3. Do you believe that people who see U.F.O.s are actually seeing something in the sky, or are they just imagining things?
-Imagining things
-Actually seeing something
4. Do you believe that life exists in the universe somewhere other than Earth?
- Yes
-No
5. Have you ever seen an U.F.O.?
-Yes
-No
6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites ect.)
-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial
7. Do you believe the government is hiding information about UFOs
-Yes
-No
8. Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe with the capabilities of traveling to earth?
-Yes
-No
9. Do you believe in your lifetime that scientists will find life somewhere else in the universe?
-yes
-no

Thanks in advance for all your help!

BigDon
2009-Feb-17, 03:25 AM
I think you will have more luck over at Godlikeproductions.

This is a science website.

Grand_Lunar
2009-Feb-17, 03:30 AM
Not sure if this really is a CT thread. But hey, what the heck?

1. Age

2. Gender

male

3. Do you believe that people who see U.F.O.s are actually seeing something in the sky, or are they just imagining things?
-Imagining things

For me, the most correct answer would be a combination of the two; that people are seeing something, but letting their imagination run wild. In this case, I would go with the first choice.

- Yes
-No

Yes

-Yes
-No

No

6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites ect.)
-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial

Technically, the choices ought to be "natural phenomenon" and "alien spacecraft", because planet Venus is often a culprit for UFO sightings, and that's technically an extraterrestrial object.

-Yes
-No

Not in the context that UFO enthusiests would think, so 'No'

8. Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe with the capabilities of traveling to earth?
-Yes
-No

I am open to the possibility, yes. However, such a capability need not be an FTL method, but rather a long voyage that involves a fusion rocket, or an antimatter rocket.

9. Do you believe in your lifetime that scientists will find life somewhere else in the universe?
-yes
-no

No, but I do remain open to the chance that I could be wrong on this. A robot mission that explores the ocean of Europa, a moon of Jupiter. This could reveal life else living in that ocean.

Gillianren
2009-Feb-17, 03:31 AM
Now, now, Don. Taking a survey on a science board is just fine, especially if results here are to be compared to results elsewhere. I will, however, point out a couple of places where the survey questions are lacking.

1. Age

2. Gender

Female

3. Do you believe that people who see U.F.O.’s are actually seeing something in the sky, or are they just imagining things?
-Imagining things

This is the first place where I can't really answer the question as asked. I think the majority of people really see something. However, it may not actually be in the sky; they may just think it is. Further, some of them may be seeing things--or remembering that they've seen things when they haven't.

- Yes
-No

Yes.

-Yes
-No

No.

6. Do you believe UFO’s are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites ect.)
-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial

Given the amount of times (like with poor Jimmy Carter) that Venus is mistaken for an alien spacecraft, the answer to that would have to be yes. Note that I'm not saying that I believe they're actually alien spacecraft, just that Venus is by definition extraterrestrial.

7. Do you believe the government is hiding information about UFO’s
-Yes
-No

No.

-Yes
-No

No.

-yes
-no

Probably not.

Peter B
2009-Feb-17, 03:32 AM
Well, I'm willing to answer, though some of my answers aren't what you've allowed - it's hard to be absolute on some of them.

1. 42
2. Male
3. Usually seeing something
4. Likely yes.
5. No.
6. Terrestrial, plus misidentification of stars and planets.
7. No.
8. Don't know.
9. I don't know, but I hope so.

Starfury
2009-Feb-17, 04:03 AM
1. 39
2. Male
3. Actually seeing something (most likely airplanes or satellites imo)
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Most are of terrestrial origin. It is my personal belief that some of the unexplained cases may be extraterrestrial, but my belief and a buck will get me a cup of coffee at 7-11. I fully accept that a high standard of proof is needed for such an assertion.
7. Probably not.
8. Yes. An advanced alien race would likely have at least a million year head start on us technologically. But if they exist, they (probably) haven't found us yet and may never find us; it's a big galaxy, and may be even bigger than we first thought.
9. Yes, via SETI.

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-17, 05:51 AM
1. Age: 62
2. Gender: male
3. Do you believe that people who see U.F.O.s are actually seeing something in the sky, or are they just imagining things? Actually seeing something
4. Do you believe that life exists in the universe somewhere other than Earth? Yes
5. Have you ever seen an U.F.O.? No
6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites ect.) Do not believe that they are alien spaceships (there has been no proof)
7. Do you believe the government is hiding information about UFOs? No
8. Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe with the capabilities of traveling to earth? Possibly
9. Do you believe in your lifetime that scientists will find life somewhere else in the universe? Not likely

NickW
2009-Feb-17, 07:44 AM
1. 27
2. Male
3. More then likely, actually seeing something, but they probably dont understand what they might be seeing, and jump to conclusions.
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Terrestrial
7. Not in the way some people think. I am sure they are when it comes to certain matters (test flights of aircraft that are not ready to be declassified)
8. Yes, but in the way most people might believe it would happen.
9. I certainly wish it will happen, but it really isn't that likely.

jt-3d
2009-Feb-17, 08:40 AM
I'll play.

1. 51 :(

2. male

3. -Actually seeing something

4. Quite possibly - Yes It's a huge place.

5. -No Never seen one

6. -Terrestrial Mostly believers jumping to conclusions because they want to see one.

7. -No Nothing to hide.

8. -No I don't think there's any inhabited placed close enough to get here without completely rewriting physics.

9. -no Too many places to look and no real way of checking any of those places. Not in the forseeable future.

I hope you get a good grade. :)

agingjb
2009-Feb-17, 09:01 AM
1. Age: 70

2. Gender: Male

3. Do you believe that people who see U.F.O.s are actually seeing something in the sky, or are they just imagining things:
both these happen.

4. Do you believe that life exists in the universe somewhere other than Earth:
probably.

5. Have you ever seen an U.F.O.:
No

6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites ect.):
I strongly suspect that all sightings that are not hallucinatory are explicable without the hypothesis that they are alien spacecraft.

7. Do you believe the government is hiding information about UFOs:
Governments hide information; I don't believe that they are hiding anything significant in this context.

8. Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe with the capabilities of traveling to earth:
Very probably not.

Who knows? Pre-eukaryotic life on Mars or even Europa? They had better hurry; my lifetime isn't that long a time. Anyway I'd guess probably not.

Tog
2009-Feb-17, 09:32 AM
1. Age

2. Gender

Male
3. Do you believe that people who see U.F.O.’s are actually seeing something in the sky, or are they just imagining things?
-Imagining things

Most are seeing something. The question is worded in such a way as to make it one or the other in all cases.
- Yes
-No

Yes. Space is big.
-Yes
-No

Yes. 3 in fact. One was probably a pair of shooting stars, the other two were probably aircraft. One Was definitely aircraft, but I don't know what kind, and given my interest in military aircraft, that bothers me a little.
6. Do you believe UFO’s are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites ect.)
-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial

Well, a Meteor is ET in origin, as are other planets. Again the questions is either/or, so if there were a million balloons and 1 shooting star, the question cannot be answered.

If by ET, you mean and extra terrestrial vehicle, then no. I don't think any of the sighting have been an ETV.
-Yes
-No

If the UFO, is a perfectly ordinary object, why would they? I'm assuming by the nature of the question that you are making UFO=ETV.

Possibly, but it's doesn't matter. The Government of any one nation cannot suppress the population or governments of all nations. If I get conclusive proof of an ETV, there is nothing to stop me from making it public.
-Yes
-No

Odds are there is something out there there. Capabilities of traveling to Earth is a different matter entirely. It would depend an awful lot on where they started from and how long they live.
-yes
-no

Possibly, but it doesn't need to be intelligent to be life.

tnjrp
2009-Feb-17, 10:38 AM
I'm taking a survey for English classAn oddish subject for English class, methinks, but what the heck, here goes...

1. Age43

2. GenderMale

3. Do you believe that people who see U.F.O.’s are actually seeing something in the sky, or are they just imagining things?Some are seeing something, some are imagining things, some are outright lying; it's not a yes/no question really

4. Do you believe that life exists in the universe somewhere other than Earth?Yes in the sense that I think it's likely

5. Have you ever seen an U.F.O.?I've seen (decidedly nonspectacular) phenomena I can't 100% certainly identify, but I suppose they don't count since I've assumed it's just due to my own inability and not due to the nature of the phenomena

6. Do you believe UFO’s are extraterrestrial in origin [...] or terrestrial in originWhile this is impossible to answer succintly really, discounting direct hoaxes and "hallucinations" it so far looks to me like the so-called UFO observations are misidentifications of "normal" celestial or aerial phenomena, many of them common and some of them possibly exceedingly uncommon; I find it very unlikely any of them would be result of activities of alien intelligent agents (including anything from physical aliens to angels, deities and demons)

7. Do you believe the government is hiding information about UFO’sIn a board sense they probably are, but not in the way UFO conspiracy crowd is claiming; so I'd say "no" to be on the safe side

8. Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe with the capabilities of traveling to earth?While it's much more unlikely than simply there being life elsewhere in the universe, I think it is also possible; so it's a very tentative "yes" as to capability only

9. Do you believe in your lifetime that scientists will find life somewhere else in the universe?I hope they do but I must say I really don't believe they will

galacsi
2009-Feb-17, 11:12 AM
My answers :

1. Age

2. Gender
Male

Actually seeing something

YES

NO

Extra Terrestrial (Of course when they are not weather balloons satellites etc...)

Yes

Yes

no
For this last question I am not so sure . (If I was 20 old I would say : Yes)

sts60
2009-Feb-17, 02:39 PM
Hi, winsor. Welcome to the board.

1. 45
2. Male
3. Both
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Both (includes extraterrestrial things like meteors, comets, planets). May include extraterrestrial spacecraft, but the evidence for this is, as Carl Sagan put it, "crummy".
7. No. At least not any "smoking guns", that is, none that demonstrates the existence of alien visitors. Some may be classified due to ordinary operational security concerns.
8. Yes - but that's more hope than reason. Unless they're hostile. Then it's "No - but that's more hope than reason."
9. Yes - but that's more hope than reason.

Swift
2009-Feb-17, 03:21 PM
1. Age - 50
2. Gender - male
-Imagining things
- I'd have to say both. I think both things happen and I also think they see something, but imagine it to be something else.
4. Do you believe that life exists in the universe somewhere other than Earth? - Yes
5. Have you ever seen an U.F.O.? - No
6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites ect.) - Terrestrial
7. Do you believe the government is hiding information about UFOs - No
8. Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe with the capabilities of traveling to earth? - I don't know, but if I have to pick, I'd say No.
9. Do you believe in your lifetime that scientists will find life somewhere else in the universe? - Again, I don't know, but if I had to pick I'd say yes (but that life will be microscopic and in our own solar system).

Sp1ke
2009-Feb-17, 03:35 PM
Here's another sample for your survey

1. Age

2. Gender
Male

Both. Often there is something in the sky but it is enhanced by imagination.

Believe? No. Think it's likely? Yes.

5. Have you ever seen a U.F.O.?
Yes, I've seen things that I couldn't identify. I'm pretty sure they all had mundane explanations but I don't know what they are. For example, if you just get a glimpse of something that flashes in the corner of your eye, it's probably a meteor but there's no way to be sure. And, most importantly, no easy way to investigate since it's not repeatable.

6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin or terrestrial in origin
As previously pointed out, non-terrestrial objects are often the source of UFO reports. So, yes, some UFO reports are extraterrestrial in origin but very few come from outside our solar system (OK, maybe comets) (or maybe the Pleiades - I bet they've generated a few UFO reports)

Hiding, no.

I'd like to think so but I have no evidence either way. So, no belief involved. I think life would be much more interesting if we met an alien species but I'm agnostic over whether such a species exists and can reach.

It would be great but I think it's unlikely. It's a big step from finding extrasolar planets to finding life on those planets.

JayUtah
2009-Feb-17, 03:41 PM
1. Age
43 tomorrow

2. Gender
male

This is not a good question: it proposes a false either-or alternative.

I believe that some sightings are hoaxes. That means either the witness is intentionally lying or that someone has deliberately created a scenario in which an unsuspecting witness sees something meant to be interpreted as extraordinary.

I believe that a large majority of sightings are sightings of genuine phenomena (i.e., that the witness is neither lying nor hallucinating). However I believe that witnesses mix observation with interpretation, as human nature invariably does. And I believe that some reports may be embellished consciously or unconsciously to make them seem more remarkable.

The human brain interprets images and puts them together to form a coherent and consistent scenario or story, even if that story does not exactly correspond to what really happened. There are many ways in which human perception can be innocently wrong.

Yes

I have seen many things in the sky that I could not identify. I have also seen things that were initially remarkable but were later explained.

6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin ... or terrestrial...

Terrestrial in the sense that they are things that pertain to this Earth. While you mention human-made objects, I would also include natural phenomena under "terrestrial" causes.

It depends on what you mean by UFO, since the term is often misused to indicate suspected alien spaceships and not merely unidentified sightings. I believe agencies and offices of the government have custody of records of sightings and possible investigations that are not disclosed for various reasons such as confidentiality or classification.

However I do not believe the government is hiding some monumental "smoking gun" evidence that would drastically change our current understanding of unexplained sightings. I do not believe in the claims of systematic and universal suppression of "The Truth" about UFOs.

Given the vastness of the universe I would have to say yes; but I hasten to add that I think the odds of it are very remote. Our current understanding of physics suggests that any beings capable of traveling to Earth within their lifetimes would already be close enough to have been detected (or to detect us) by other means.

Unlikely. Any life we discovered in the next few decades would likely be simple life forms found in our solar system. We simply don't have the means to examine much else of the universe.

Swift
2009-Feb-17, 03:43 PM
1. Age
43 tomorrow

Happy Birthday Jay!

CJSF
2009-Feb-17, 03:58 PM
Assuming this isn't really a ploy to learn BAUTers' ages and genders:

1. 36

2. Male

3. see Jay's answer, above. This is not a good question, and I agree with what he said.

4. Yes

5. I have seen several objects or phenomena that I was not able to adequately identify, to my personal standards. I do not believe any of them were objects under extra-terrestrial intelligent control.

6. see Jay's anwer, above as well as Gillian's.

7. I think some governments keep documents related to "UFOs" secret when they might reveal capabilities or other sensitive information relevant to that agency or for confidentiality reasons. I do not think any government agency is hiding evidence of life or intelligence beyond Earth or human construction.

8. No.

9. Yes - but within our own Solar system.

P.S.

Happy birthday Jay! (in case I don't post tomorrow).

Halcyon Dayz
2009-Feb-17, 04:31 PM
Hi, I'm taking a survey for English class, on peoples beliefs on UFOs if any of you could help I would really appreciate it.

1. Age: 44

2. Gender: Male (Dutch national)

-Imagining things

Both. Often at the same time.

Yes.

Every light in the sky is an UFO until you've identified it.
So yes, every day.

6. Do you believe UFOs are extraterrestrial in origin (coming from somewhere other than earth) or terrestrial in origin (such as misidentification of airplanes, government craft, weather balloons, satellites etc.)
-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial

All of the above. No aliens though.

Not really.

8. Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe with the capabilities of travelling to earth?

I don't know.

I hope so. Not very likely though.

You're welcome. :lol:

cosmicdave
2009-Feb-17, 04:37 PM
1. Age - 41

2. Gender - Male

Enough with the 'swamp gas' and 'weather balloon' theories. I have seen many first hand and at close quarters.

Why should we be unique? There is plenty of evidence coming forward every day that life could live on other planets.

Yes - at least 20

Both - UFO means unidentified object. But from experience, there is nothing on Earth that could explain the UFOs I saw, either the size of them or how they could fly so low and silently.

Yes

Yes

Possibly

cosmicdave
2009-Feb-17, 04:45 PM
. Not in the way some people think. I am sure they are when it comes to certain matters (test flights of aircraft that are not ready to be declassified)

Interesting theory, but how would that explain craft that were seen during the 1940/50's that possessed flight patterns and speeds that even today our latest 'declassified' technology cannot match?

How long exactly are these craft kept 'classified' and for what purpose?

cosmicdave
2009-Feb-17, 04:54 PM
1. Age
43 tomorrow

Wow, I thought you were in your 60's lol - time to get a new wig methinks :)

Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-17, 05:09 PM
Happy Birthday Jay!
ditto to that! :)

NickW
2009-Feb-17, 05:16 PM
Interesting theory, but how would that explain craft that were seen during the 1940/50's that possessed flight patterns and speeds that even today our latest 'declassified' technology cannot match?

I would say people eyes are playing tricks on them, or they are not percieving what they are actually seeing.

How long exactly are these craft kept 'classified' and for what purpose?

I have no clue now long they are classified, but it is not anything new that aircraft are classsifed during testing.

I dont know what you are fishing for here, dave. But this thread is for taking a survey. If you want to change it to something else, then create another thread and we can take this there.

lek
2009-Feb-17, 05:23 PM
1. Age
2. Gender
- Male
- Most people actually seeing things
- Yes
-No
-Terrestrial (+ some natural extra-terrestial phenomena like planets etc)
-Yes (non alien kind)
-Yes (technically, I think even we have such capabilities to travel to another solar system. Would be ridiculously expensive and time consuming though)
-no (but I hope so)

I hope baut will not be your only source of data for the poll if you want it to represent average public ;)

megrfl
2009-Feb-17, 05:50 PM
1. Age

2. Gender
- female

- Most likely see something.

- Yes

- No

- Terrestrial (some extraterrestrial, i.e. flashing stars and etc.)

- No

- No

- Yes (some kind of life)

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-17, 06:15 PM
Interesting theory, but how would that explain craft that were seen during the 1940/50's that possessed flight patterns and speeds that even today our latest 'declassified' technology cannot match
I agree with NickW: if you seriously believe what you are saying, then start another thread and present the evidence to back up your assertion.

Gillianren
2009-Feb-17, 06:57 PM
I hope baut will not be your only source of data for the poll if you want it to represent average public ;)

For one thing, the data seems skewed toward middle-aged guys. Happy birthday, Jay.

Extracelestial
2009-Feb-17, 07:02 PM
Hi, I'm taking a survey for English class, on people's beliefs on UFO's if any of you could help I would really appreciate it...

Weird these errors in an English class ...or am I too cynical about it?! Must the the aftermath of oxxo's quest for wisdom. Nonetheless, here are my answers.

1. Age
2. Gender
male

-Actually seeing something - but then the automatic "make-sense-of-the-world-around-you" machine in our brains kicks in and fills in the blanks it didn't catch.
- Yes!

-Yes - for about ten minutes and then I realized how mundane it was.

-both

-No
-Yes, but why should they bother to sneak upon us?

-yes

Fazor
2009-Feb-17, 07:06 PM
Oooh, fun a survey. :) I'll make some notes, but I'm sure most of what I say has already been said (Sorry, haven't read through everyone's posts. That compromises the survey anyway ;)).

1. Age

2. Gender
Male

-Imagining things
Yes.
By that I mean, I'm sure both are the case. I'd venture a guess that the purely-imagined sightings are a lot less common than mistakes in/failue to identify actualy objects/phenomenon.

- Yes
-No
Yes, most likely.

-Yes
-No
Depends on how litteral you want to be. I saw something that I am unable to identify with reasonable certianty; but it was most likely either a firework or a meteor. It didn't appear to be a craft of any sort.

-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial
Some are terrestrial craft. I wouldn't give one blanket explanation for all sightings.

-Yes
-No
No.

-Yes
-No
No, but there's no proof one way or the other.

-yes
-no
Probably not, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

lek
2009-Feb-17, 07:10 PM
For one thing, the data seems skewed toward middle-aged guys. Happy birthday, Jay.

That's not exactly what I was thinking, but true anyway. :D

Pickled Tink
2009-Feb-17, 07:36 PM
1: 23 years 9 months.

2: Haven't checked recently, but I was Male last I looked and a certainly don't remember having gender reassignment surgery...

3: Your question here is a false dichotomy. The implication of the first answer is that those things seen are actually alien spacecraft, the other answer, that they are purely imaginary, doesn't fill the gap. There is a third answer, that they are seeing something, but they are misinterpreting what they are seeing. In any case, its also a generalisation. The fourth answer, the one i take, because taking the third option isnt enough, Is that some are misunderstood phenomenon, and others are hallucinations. As an example, I have, when tired, seen the moon to be wobbling (When its really just my eyes bouncing around due to muscle fatigue because my glasses prescription was no longer accurate due to worsening astigmatism).

4: Yes. I do not believe it has come here, however. So far the radio has only been around for about a hundred years, so only entities within about a hundred light years would be potentially aware of us.

5: Once. I am fairly certain in hindsight it was the ISS or other large orbital body, given its path of motion across the sky, brightness, and constant speed. Unfortunately, as I was heading to work at 5am I neglected to bring my binoculars (Its unidentified, but i have a fair few ideas as to what it was, essentially).

6: Both. Asteroids, Comets, Venus, and Meteors can and do account for a goodly number of UFO reports i have seen. Other things, such as weather balloons and LSD, to name just two examples, account for others. Can i definitively prove that none of them were alien spacecraft? No, of course not. Proving a negative is generally so close to impossible that they argue over the upkeep of the fence. That is why the burden of proof is on the one proposing something. Something, i might add, that people arguing for alien contact have yet to do.

7: No. There is no reason for them to do so. Especially given the current militant political climate. No, they would pimp any excuse to justify colossal military expenditure, and this would be one hell of a doozy. That aside, I find the notion that "The government is covering it up" to be a preposterous attempt to gain a special pleading when asked for evidence of these supposed visitations. "We had evidence dude, but The Man totally came and covered it up. You gotta believe us".

Given the governments complete inability to hide scandalous information in the past, and indeed the present, coupled with the Internet and the ability to anonymously blow the whistle on secrets and the like (Through sources such as Wikileaks) I find it near impossible (As nothing that is physically possible can ever be impossible) to believe that there is any secret being hidden from the public on this matter. Again, as i said before, the only people who would have any evidence of our existence would be within a hundred light years of here. That's a small volume of space, really.

8: Once again you have worded your question poorly. There is intelligent life in the universe capable of traveling to Earth. I have met some of them. They are an intellectually advanced (Compared to their relatives, at least) race of nearly hairless apes called Humans. They travel to earth repeatedly when they fall over using an ingenious source of propulsion called gravity. This is typically followed by ritual swearing and cursing, except outside supermarkets where it will instead be followed by litigation. :lol:

However, to answer your question as it was probably intended:

Yes. However I do not believe they are aware of us, as i have mentioned previously, nor do I believe that they are willing to expend the resources needed to do so. Technically speaking, if we pooled our resources as a species we could easily, without much, if anything in the form of technological advances, build a generational ship to travel to another star system.

9: Unknown. I'm always willing to hope, but the odds of us finding life outside our solar system within our lifetime are rather bleak. In our solar system, on either Mars, Europa or Titan are probably our best bets, though the latter is more unlikely than the former two, at least by my reckoning, and given this is a survey of sorts, I guess thats the only thing that really matters :p

Sigma_Orionis
2009-Feb-17, 09:59 PM
1. Age

2. Gender
Male

Actually seeing something, but nothing manufactured by "Alien Technologies"

- Yes
-No
Believe? no, do I think that it's possible that life might have developed outside the earth? yes I do.

-Yes
-No
Yes, turned out to be a plane.

-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial
Terrestrial

-Yes
-No

The average government in the world makes the Keystone Kops look like the "state of the art" in logistics and you expect me to believe they are efficient enough to hide info like this for half a century? RIIIIIIIGHT. Summary: NO

-Yes
-No
Believe? No. Do I think that there is a possibility that there exists a civilization outside the earth with the technology to travel between stars? A slight one.

-yes
-no

Believe? NO. It would be extremely cool if it happened, however, I think it's unlikely.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Anytime

cosmicdave
2009-Feb-17, 11:32 PM
As requested, I have opened a new topic regarding the belief that UFOs are probably just classified aircraft.

Heres the link > http://www.bautforum.com/conspiracy-theories/84893-why-ufos-cannot-classified-top-secret-planes.html#post1436908

Abelian Grape
2009-Feb-19, 02:32 AM
Hi, I'm taking a survey for English class, on peoples beliefs on UFO's if any of you could help I would really appreciate it.
Here's my take. I agree with the caveats presented by others before this, and won't bother repeating them. I'd suggest you take the concerns expressed to heart and consider revising your questionnaire accordingly, and starting over. Consider this forum a good place for a trial run.

1. Age
2. Gender 66 Male

-Imagining things
-Actually seeing something Yes. :)

- Yes
-No
Yes, and not uncommonly; but virtually all such life is likely to be comparable to bacteria.

-Yes
-No
Yes, but then I'm not an expert at identifying flying objects. Do recall that UFO does NOT mean "flying saucer" -- you knew that, right?

-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial
See the other responders for the problems with the way this question is presented. To answer the question you didn't ask, no, I have no reason to think any of the "UFOs" were driven by ET.

-Yes
-No
Probably, but only to the extent the UFO was actually a plane the government was developing in secret. Again, your question needs tweaking to make it meaningful.

-Yes
-No
This should be a two-part question I think. I'll answer it that way:
8A: Yes, given the size of the universe, it is close to certain there have been other examples of intelligent life in the universe.
8B: Assuming you consider us to be an example of "intelligent life" (an hypothesis I sometimes doubt), we have in fact traveled to the earth -- from the moon, for example (cf. Apollo missions). That makes your question trivially true. However, I'll assume you meant to say "OTHER intelligent life ..." in which case I'd have to say "highly unlikely".

-yes
-no
Given my age, unlikely. If so, it will almost certainly be as others have said, microscopic life in the solar system. Be careful with your wording here and elsewhere: many who use the word "life" have an implicit "intelligent" in front of it. Make it clear what you mean, so your answers will not be ambiguous.

BTW and OT: Happy birthday, Jay.

Extracelestial
2009-Feb-20, 06:55 PM

Winsor,

will we get the results, such as statistics, of your survey?

Extracelestial

PetersCreek
2009-Feb-21, 02:14 AM
1. Age Four dozen

2. Gender Male

-Imagining things

Yes.

- Yes
-No

Yes.

-Yes
-No

Yes, I'm sure I have...but not anything that I'd call a craft of extraterrestrial origin.

-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial

Terrestrial.

-Yes
-No

Yes...but only so far as it relates to classified aircraft and/or activities of Earth origin.

-Yes
-No

No, most probably not.

-yes
-no

Maybe.

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-25, 07:33 PM
There may be 100 billion Earth-like planets in the Milky Way, or one for every sun-type star in the galaxy, said Alan Boss, an astronomer with the Carnegie Institution and author of the new book "The Crowded Universe: The Search for Living Planets."

He made the prediction based on the number of "super-Earths" -- planets several times the mass of the Earth, but smaller than gas giants like Jupiter -- discovered so far circling stars outside the solar system.

Boss said that if any of the billions of Earth-like worlds he believes exist in the Milky Way have liquid water, they are likely to be home to some type of life.

"Now that's not saying that they're all going to be crawling with intelligent human beings or even dinosaurs," he said.

"But I would suspect that the great majority of them at least will have some sort of primitive life, like bacteria or some of the multicellular creatures that populated our Earth for the first 3 billion years of its existence."

Other scientists are taking another approach: an analysis that suggests there could be hundreds, even thousands, of intelligent civilizations in the Milky Way....

In a paper published recently in the International Journal of Astrobiology, the researchers concluded that based on what they saw, at least 361 intelligent civilizations have emerged in the Milky Way since its creation, and as many as 38,000 may have formedsource: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/02/25/galaxy.planets.kepler/index.html

SolusLupus
2009-Feb-25, 08:49 PM
1. Age
23 (3 days until I'm 24!)

2. Gender
Male

-Imagining things

Both. Sometimes they're seeing something that they can't identify, or are imagining something.

- Yes
-No

Yes.

-Yes
-No

No

-Terrestrial
-Extra Terrestrial

Terrestrial

-Yes
-No

No

-Yes
-No

Yes, though not necessarily "easily".

-yes
-no

Yes

gwiz
2009-Feb-26, 10:48 AM
1. 64
2. male
3. Generally seeing something, occasionally imagining or more likely adding detail to enliven a more mundane observation.
4. yes
5. I've seen things I can't identify, eg moving lights in the sky at night, but nothing that I couldn't make a guess at.
6. Terrestrial and also astronomical objects, eg Venus
7. Nothing important related to the alleged extraterrestial nature of UFOs, but quite possibly information related to the activities of the government, eg a secret aircraft.
8. yes
9. I like to think so, but I'm not optimistic.