PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cities redux

redshifter
2009-Feb-17, 09:47 PM
This is a follow up thread to the 'favorite cities' thread we had a couple weeks ago. The difference is that in this thread I'm interested in your favorite cities that aren't particularly very well known. Criteria:

1) City or town (population not important)
2) This city or town is a place you've visited or lived, or currently reside
3) Not necessarily well known nationally; certainly not worldwide (e.g. Paris, New York, San Fran, London, Athens, etc. do not qualify)

I'll start; a few towns I really like (and have visited) are:

Winthrop, WA
Kalispell, MT
Whitefish, MT
Williams, AZ
Moab, UT
Depoe Bay, OR

geonuc
2009-Feb-17, 10:05 PM
Mogollon, New Mexico
Red Lodge, Montana
San Luis Obispo, California
San Clemente, California
Lone Pine, California
Burleigh Heads, Queensland
Mt Isa, Queensland
Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick

To name a few.

chrissy
2009-Feb-17, 10:47 PM
Osnabruck, Germany.
Munster, Germany.
Gutersloh, Germany.
Bielefeld, Germany.
Mid Glamorgan, South Wales.
Shrewsbury, UK. (did a lot of rock climbing here and in Wales)
Devon, UK.
Cumbria/Lake District, UK. (Mountains and lakes) walked all around that place.
Otterburn, UK. moved a lot of tanks around on the range, beautiful scenery and the local pubs were something else.
Isle of Man. I have walked all around it and the roads for the TT racing is scary to say the least. (want to go back there)
Isle of Arran. Scotland, evil midgies but great place......except when you go sea canoeing and encounter a huge submarine surfacing (I will take that memory to the grave).

The list could go on forever I have been to many places. :)

sarongsong
2009-Feb-17, 10:57 PM
"Somewhere in time..."

Ferndale, California (1940)
Susanville, California (1930)

PetersCreek
2009-Feb-18, 12:12 AM
A few that come immediately to mind:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
Leavenworth, Washington
Boone, North Carolina
Seaside, Oregon

Rue
2009-Feb-18, 12:20 AM
Ajijic, Mexico
Elora, Ontario

Gillianren
2009-Feb-18, 02:18 AM
Leavenworth, Washington

Really? Okay.

Monterey, California--I was only there once, it's true, but it's a pretty town with great history.
Gig Harbor, Washington

PetersCreek
2009-Feb-18, 04:52 AM
Really? Okay.

Yep, really. :) My wife and I stayed their for Oktoberfest during our first trip together and made it a stop again on our honeymoon. It was a fun time in a pretty setting, convenient to some nice wine country.

jokergirl
2009-Feb-18, 06:46 AM
Osnabruck, Germany.
Bielefeld, Germany.

Bielefeld existiert nicht :)

But OK, I'm gonna go with:
Meersburg, Germany
Krems, Austria
Halle an der Saale, Germany
Falun, Sweden

;)

Gillianren
2009-Feb-18, 06:58 PM
Yep, really. :) My wife and I stayed their for Oktoberfest during our first trip together and made it a stop again on our honeymoon. It was a fun time in a pretty setting, convenient to some nice wine country.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, then. I just don't often hear it as a prime destination.

Moose
2009-Feb-18, 07:38 PM
Halifax, Nova Scotia, first and foremost.
I'm also rather fond of Fredericton, NB and La Ville de Québec, PQ.

redshifter
2009-Feb-18, 07:49 PM
Really? Okay.

I know lots of people who like to go to Leavenworth. Been there myself a few times, I should've included it in my list. Good call Peters Creek!

There are great camping locations around the Leavenworth area as well.

Argos
2009-Feb-18, 08:03 PM
Parati [pah-rah-tee], Brazil.

Gillianren
2009-Feb-18, 08:24 PM
I know lots of people who like to go to Leavenworth. Been there myself a few times, I should've included it in my list. Good call Peters Creek!

There are great camping locations around the Leavenworth area as well.

Maybe it's like Evergreen--the respect for it is generally inversely proportionate to your proximity?

PetersCreek
2009-Feb-18, 08:36 PM
Maybe it's like Evergreen--the respect for it is generally inversely proportionate to your proximity?

...and to the frequency? As much as we've enjoyed Leavenworth, it's not something we'd like to overdo...and it would be easy to overdo it, I think.

Arneb
2009-Feb-18, 09:10 PM
Bielefeld existiert nicht :)
;)

You are a bad, bad girl :)

Aachen, Germany
Fuerth, Germany - My current and former cities of residence. I'd include Nuremberg, but that is at least marginally well-known worldwide.

I totally agree with Monterey, CA.
Calvi and St. Florent, on the Island of Corsica, France.
Dresden, Germany (OK, too well-known as well)
Trento, Italy

Gillianren
2009-Feb-18, 09:21 PM
...and to the frequency? As much as we've enjoyed Leavenworth, it's not something we'd like to overdo...and it would be easy to overdo it, I think.

Well, I still do things on campus. But I do see what you mean, and it certainly is possible.

kleindoofy
2009-Feb-18, 09:32 PM
... Meersburg, Germany ...
Salem Schülerin?

... Krems, Austria
I'm assuming you mean Krems in Wachau. Yes, beautiful town. Grüner Vetliner, my second most favorite wine. Just don't go to Krems if you don't like the song "Greensleeves." Trust me.

And as stated above: Bielefeld existiert nicht. I was there a few days ago and it's true: es existiert nicht.

... Munster, Germany ...
Dear God, see a doctor quick! ;)

I've been living here for 24 years, and I can't imagine what you like about it.

My favorites:
Hingham, MA or most other small towns on the Bost South Shore. Paradise.

HAD29
2009-Feb-18, 09:37 PM
Bardolino - Town north Italy (great wine)
Verona - Great opera.

Arneb, is Fuerth just outside Nurenberg? (Furth with .. above the u) If so, I also loved that place. Great walking, and scenery. Stayed with the red cross mountain rescue unit years back.

Glasgow, scotland.
Anywhere withing the great glen (Fort William to Inverness). Fantastic scenery.

Fazor
2009-Feb-18, 10:05 PM
Stongsville, Ohio would get a vote by default--as I don't have a big list to chose from. Many fond memories, as that's where my grandparents lived. It's changed so much over the past 10 years or so. I like it how it was much better than how it is.

They had a big back yard with a stream running down it and a covered bridge. The yard also included a vegetable garden (best veggies in the world--but aren't vegitables from grandparents' gardens always the best in the world?) and a very steep hill; perfect for soap-box cars in the summer and sleds in the winter.

Sadly, the grandparents, uncle, and family friend who lived there have all passed on. The house has been sold and torn down for development. I couldn't bring myself to drive past last time I was up there.

Oh well, memories cannot be sold.

redshifter
2009-Feb-18, 11:27 PM

One can probably say that about a lot of places.:lol:

chrissy
2009-Feb-19, 12:12 AM
Dear God, see a doctor quick!
I have family there.

Why do you say Bielefeld doesn't exist? I was based there for a short time and loved the place. ;)

kleindoofy
2009-Feb-19, 12:21 AM
... Why do you say Bielefeld doesn't exist? ...
Because it doesn't. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy) ;)

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-19, 06:33 AM
Carmel, California
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
Portofino, Italy

jokergirl
2009-Feb-19, 07:18 AM
Salem Schülerin?

I'm assuming you mean Krems in Wachau. Yes, beautiful town. Grüner Vetliner, my second most favorite wine. Just don't go to Krems if you don't like the song "Greensleeves." Trust me.

And as stated above: Bielefeld existiert nicht. I was there a few days ago and it's true: es existiert nicht.

Salem? What's that?

My parents just bought an apartment in the city across the Danube from Krems. It's a wonderful region.
Have yet to hear Greensleeves when I'm visiting over there, but it might just be that all the LARPing has made me build up a natural deafness to the song. *shudder*

;)

gzhpcu
2009-Feb-19, 07:43 AM
I have family there.

Why do you say Bielefeld doesn't exist? I was based there for a short time and loved the place. ;)

Sind Sie ausserirdisch? :)

jokergirl
2009-Feb-19, 07:46 AM

Shhhh, she's one of THEM. :whistle:

;)

Torsten
2009-Feb-19, 08:05 AM
What a list! I've been to some of them:

Kalispell, MT
Williams, AZ
Moab, UT
Lone Pine, California
Falun, Sweden
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Fredericton, NB
Nuremberg

I really liked the Ponderosa pine forests around Williams, had a great time in Falun, had my most enjoyable academic year in Fredericton, found the traffic in Nuremberg sooooo much easier than Munich, and had a great burger in Moab.

I've called five towns, villages and cities my home, and only have fleeting impressions of most other places, but ones that I remember fondly:

Imst, Austria
Umeå, Sweden
Fulda, Germany

Gillianren
2009-Feb-19, 07:48 PM
I've just been so few places. My grandparents' last hometown of Thatcher, Arizona, is awfully dull, for example. Forks, Washington? Shudder. I like a lot of the little touristy places along the Oregon coast, but they are very touristy and I wouldn't want to spend more than an afternoon there. I seem to recall that Angel's Camp, California, was nice, but we only spent a day there, so I don't really know--and it was the summer between fifth and sixth grade, so I don't really remember it very well. I do recommend a trip through the California Gold Country, but the only place I really remember as being a great place to visit was San Francisco. But get a motel out of town; it's cheaper by a ton.

sarongsong
2009-Feb-19, 08:42 PM
Naw---I'd stay at a hostel (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=san+francisco+hostel&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) and get the full experience! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

eric_marsh
2009-Feb-19, 09:59 PM
One of my favorite all time cities is Venice, but I guess it doesn't count. Other than that I really like my home town of Lockhart Texas.

chrissy
2009-Feb-19, 11:39 PM

einige konnten das denken. ;)

geonuc
2009-Feb-20, 11:27 AM
Aachen, Germany
I'd like to visit Aachen if only because of its history with Charlemagne. I'm a fan of his.

Ozzy
2009-Feb-20, 12:37 PM
Brunswick Heads, New South Wales ~ nice little seaside town, lots of fun but not too big
Mosman, Queensland ~ small country town on the edge of the Daintree Forest.
Huskisson, New South Wales ~ you never go rusty in Husky

and of course home town of Mullumbimby ~ the Biggest Little Town in Australia (true .. its on the sign at the highway turnoff).

jokergirl
2009-Feb-20, 03:05 PM
I shouldn't forget to mention the lovely islands of the Croatian side of the adriatic. Not as well known as the Italian side but stunningly beautiful.
Looks like a moon landscape from the land side, but don't let it fool you - the seawards side is paradise!

Also, Malta. Just... the whole island, even though I'd recommend starting with Valetta.

;)

tlbs101
2009-Feb-20, 05:05 PM
I like the unincorporated townships of Winchester and Paradise, Nevada.

also... (in the USA)
Spokane, Washington and nearby Couer D'Alene, Idaho
Gillette, Wyoming
Taos, New Mexico
Durango, Colorado
Ithaca, New York

flynjack1
2009-Feb-20, 05:22 PM
Ok here goes:

Ouray, CO
Du Bois, WY
Taos, NM