PDA

View Full Version : Going back to Uni to study science

TheFluffyDuck
2009-Feb-19, 08:12 AM
I'm 24 and worked full time as an artist in the computer game industry until today.
Next Monday I start science at Uni.
Im doing a common first year with geoscience, chemisisty, maths and physics.

What I want to ask is, what the most important thing I should do or remember at uni to be as productive as possible? I havnt done maths in ages so Im doing all the 101 subjects there.

The reason why I ask is I have never been to uni before and want to be very productive.

RalofTyr
2009-Feb-19, 09:55 PM
I'm 24 and worked full time as an artist in the computer game industry until today.
Next Monday I start science at Uni.
Im doing a common first year with geoscience, chemisisty, maths and physics.

What I want to ask is, what the most important thing I should do or remember at uni to be as productive as possible? I havnt done maths in ages so Im doing all the 101 subjects there.

The reason why I ask is I have never been to uni before and want to be very productive.

Get a math tutor.

No classes before 11am.
Make friends with someone that owns a car.
Schedule your classes so you have an hour in between each class, so you can do your home work.
Lay off the booze, and drugs.
Leave things like your DVD player, your XBOX etc. home or get rid of them. They are a distraction.
Don't consider your roommate to be your best friend.
When you get an assignment, start it right away.

Ozzy
2009-Feb-20, 01:05 PM
Learn to use "styles" in MS Word (if you dont already know how to). It will save you lots of time futzing about with text layout.
Get a referencing software program like Endnote. Saves you heaps of time with your referencing.

geonuc
2009-Feb-20, 01:16 PM
Do not get it into your head that as long as you work hard, you will earn a high grade. Hard work is required, but your work must be superior to earn an A.

Be respectful of your professors. They are not your buddies.

Finally, attend all classes. Never miss one unless it's a real emergency.

Good on you - I loved going to school. I may do it again, in fact. :)

Moose
2009-Feb-20, 02:32 PM
There's no such thing as being too paranoid about missing an exam. Every class you will take has a final exam. No exceptions. The one on the last day of class does not count. So figure out when the final (or finals) is/are, triple-check the date(s) and time(s), and keep re-checking it periodically (every day is not too often, trust me) until you've actually sat and completed the exam(s).

There's no feeling quite like discovering you've missed one worth 40% of your mark, less than a week before graduation. (True story, and no, the prof wasn't sympathetic and wouldn't budge even with the Dean of Science asking.)

geonuc
2009-Feb-20, 02:40 PM
There's no such thing as being too paranoid about missing an exam. Every class you will take has a final exam. No exceptions. The one on the last day of class does not count. So figure out when the final (or finals) is/are, triple-check the date(s) and time(s), and keep re-checking it periodically (every day is not too often, trust me) until you've actually sat and completed the exam(s).

There's no feeling quite like discovering you've missed one worth 40% of your mark, less than a week before graduation. (True story, and no, the prof wasn't sympathetic and wouldn't budge even with the Dean of Science asking.)
Through complete stupidity, I missed a final exam during my first degree program. Because I had good grades up to that point, the professor allowed me to take a make-up, but it would be pass/fail and I'd only get a C if I passed. Better than an incomplete.

After that, as Moose advises, I got real paranoid about exam dates.

Jay200MPH
2009-Feb-20, 04:21 PM

Ouch. Sounds like a horror story.

In the 4-year BSc I did I'd say half of my third-year and 80% of my fourth-year classes didn't have final exams though. You'd get marked on the strength of your major papers and projects. It was nice not having to worry about blowing half a year's work over one bad morning.

- J

Trebuchet
2009-Feb-20, 08:05 PM
I missed a final my senior year. Can't remember why, most likely basic stupidity.

The prof was extremely good about it and had me come over and take it at his house, supplying me with snacks while I took it! Very nice guy, and a good teacher too.

The class was History of Science, a subject which has always interested me. I was sorry I couldn't take the second quarter of it.