PDA

View Full Version : Re: Telescopes and weather...



The Incubus
2002-Mar-28, 03:27 AM
My father has this 11 inch Schmidt-Cassegrain (sp?) telescope that he bought for when Comet Halley came around the first time. This thing is huge, and heavy, but I'm convinced that it could get some great views. The problem is that I don't feel like dismantling it, taking it outside, putting the thing back on the base, and taking it back in when I'm done.

So my question is, is it (and it probably isn't) a good idea to simply leave it outside during the late spring and summer months? (or, at least take it in when it looks like it's about to rain)?

Thanks for any replies

The (How can I break it?) Incubus

Kaptain K
2002-Mar-28, 11:58 AM
Please, Please, Please do not leave the telescope outside exposed to the weather. The optics should not be a problem (sealed tube), but the first surprise storm will ruin the drive!

David Hall
2002-Mar-28, 12:46 PM
How about building some kind of outdoor storage box for it? Some kind of shack you can put it in or a cover you can put over it when not in use?

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-28, 01:09 PM
Some people build a wheeled platform and put the tripod on it so it can be rolled in and out of a garage or house easily. This might be a solution.

I have an original orange tube C-8 from the '70s. Age is not an issue for optics. It gives a veiw as nice as any modern scope, although without all the bells and whistles, so that old C-11 should have plenty of life in it!

Rob

The Incubus
2002-Mar-28, 02:26 PM
On 2002-03-28 06:58, Kaptain K wrote:
Please, Please, Please do not leave the telescope outside exposed to the weather. The optics should not be a problem (sealed tube), but the first surprise storm will ruin the drive!


Quick question: What exactly is the drive? If it's anything electronic, this scope doesn't have it.

The (REALLY amateur astronomer) Incubus

The Incubus
2002-Mar-30, 01:20 AM
On 2002-03-28 07:46, David Hall wrote:
How about building some kind of outdoor storage box for it? Some kind of shack you can put it in

Hmm...maybe, though like I said, this thing is REALLY heavy.

My dad does some wood working. I can ask him.



or a cover you can put over it when not in use?



Like buying a really big tarp? That might work.

The (Boy, what I wouldn't give for a good greenhouse) Incubus

The Incubus
2002-Mar-30, 01:23 AM
On 2002-03-28 08:09, Hale_Bopp wrote:
Some people build a wheeled platform and put the tripod on it so it can be rolled in and out of a garage or house easily. This might be a solution.

I have an original orange tube C-8 from the '70s. Age is not an issue for optics. It gives a veiw as nice as any modern scope, although without all the bells and whistles, so that old C-11 should have plenty of life in it!

Rob


It should, since it was only used once. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Anyway, thanks for all the replies
The (happy) Incubus