PDA

View Full Version : Help NASA Name the Next ISS Module

Fraser
2009-Feb-20, 05:50 PM
The next module for the International Space Station needs a name; something with a little more pizazz than its current appellation, Node 3. NASA is seeking opinions and suggestions for new names, for the component – a connecting module and its cupola, targeted to launch in December 2009. The cupola looks very cool, [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/02/20/help-nasa-name-the-next-iss-module/)

KaiYeves
2009-Feb-20, 10:54 PM
I voted for Venture, like the shuttle in Warren Ellis' novel Orbiter.

2009-Mar-04, 11:55 PM
Help NASA Name Node Three (http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/name_ISS/index.html):

Voting will be open until March 20th, 2009. NASA will announce the winning name in April 2009.

Current standings:

[From the NASA-provided names:]
Earthrise 5%
Legacy 5%
Serenity 86%
Venture 4%

Top 10 Suggestions [write-in votes]
COLBERT
XENU
BUDDY
TRANQUILITY
SYNERGY
VISION
VISTA
HORIZON
HOPE
ENTERPRISE

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-05, 12:44 AM
SYNERGY's a good choice. That would have been my second, had I known.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2009-Mar-05, 05:34 AM
COLBERT is already the top write-in vote? Wow, that didn't take long.

mike alexander
2009-Mar-05, 06:29 AM
Instead of Vista, I vote for XP.

mahesh
2009-Mar-05, 12:09 PM
Funny Mike!

Serenity for me, and would go for Tranquility...yeah lunar-based...

WaxRubiks
2009-Mar-05, 12:55 PM
The Pavilion

Argos
2009-Mar-05, 01:31 PM
I would suggest COMPANY [A group of individuals with a common purpose] to rhyme with UNITY and HARMONY.

I canīt see the link for suggestions [nor the poll to vote in the top 10 suggestions]. Maybe my IP being blocked?

It would be cool if we at BAUT could collectively suggest a name.

LaurelHS
2009-Mar-05, 02:05 PM

Stephen Colbert was talking about this on his show last night. :)

Buttercup
2009-Mar-05, 03:00 PM
My suggestion: Let's Deorbit and Burn This Money Pit & Get On To Mars. :D

mahesh
2009-Mar-05, 03:58 PM
....It would be cool if we at BAUT could collectively suggest a name.

no i can't see the link on second one either. think we have to write in! or somwthing.

well Argos, my man, that's a capital idea...we have only about two weeks to get it together, if we are to do so.....

right now, i don't even know where to start....
i'll go mop kitchen floor and cogitate...

mahesh
2009-Mar-05, 05:40 PM
Okay, my shiny tuppence squeaketh...

Considering the thousands upon thousands of years of human cogitation on space and space flight, in various cultures, it would be unfair to name Names.

So I reckon we ought to go for Abstract Nouns. And not necessarily in English either.

NASA's already showing two ....and five suggested...

For BAUT poll, which we'll eventually have to conduct....
may I take the liberty of suggesting Serendipity !?!

Argos
2009-Mar-05, 06:18 PM
no i can't see the link on second one either. think we have to write in! or somwthing.

well Argos, my man, that's a capital idea...we have only about two weeks to get it together, if we are to do so.....

right now, i don't even know where to start....

Maybe this would be the way to go:

a) A thread would be opened for suggestions until March, 14th. People would just write down the desired name [and accompanying comments in the body of the post]. Some of the suggestions would likely be agreed upon.

b) On the March 14th we start a poll containing the top 5 agreed upon suggestions. The poll would run until March the 19th.

c) On the March 19th one of the mods goes to the NASA site and enters the winning BAUT suggestion on behalf of the forum users [using the handler BAUT, for instance].

But you seem to be right on that itīs too late. Maybe next time, next ship.

mahesh
2009-Mar-05, 08:58 PM
....But you seem to be right on that itīs too late. Maybe next time, next ship.

Argos, we have nine days to March 14....well eight and a half days...that's about two hundred hours....two hundred!

Plus five more days to fine-tune

Perhaps we could do it! We could get everything thing ready for the nineteenth, so that BAUT (formally) approach NASA and request consideration of the suggestion, in tandem with what results NASA, themselves, get! It'll be good to be in contention!
They may not choose it, but so what!

Just a suggestion! Next time, as well, let's be more alert!

JonClarke
2009-Mar-05, 09:32 PM

Who or what is Colbert?

JonClarke
2009-Mar-05, 09:33 PM
My suggestion: Let's Deorbit and Burn This Money Pit & Get On To Mars. :D

Let's not.

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-05, 11:07 PM
Let's not.
I'm with you.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2009-Mar-05, 11:43 PM
Who or what is Colbert?

Comedian/faux-political commentator Stephen Colbert. On his show Tuesday night, he requested that his viewers write-in his name as part of a long-running gag (that his character's ego is so inflated he wants his name on anything and everything).

I was surprised that it was the top write-in vote after a single day (and no, I didn't vote for him).

trinitree88
2009-Mar-06, 04:56 PM
I think we should name it....Pluto. That'd make a lot of people happy.:shifty::whistle::lol: pete

2009-Mar-10, 10:28 PM
From NASA News Twitter (http://twitter.com/nasa):

Watch the Colbert Report at 11:30 pm on Comedy Central [Tuesday March 10]. Associate Administrator for Space Operations Bill Gerstenmaier is Colbert's guest.

Maybe Colbert will pitch "Colbert" for the new Node 3 module some more.

In other Colbert-module news, from Space.com: Can a Comedian Take Over the Space Station? (http://www.space.com/entertainment/090305-colbert-space-station.html)

The NASA-chosen name Serenity, which shares the name of a spaceship in the cult favorite television series “Firefly”, continues to maintain a huge lead with more than 66,000 votes, according to NASA. But a surge of votes has given Colbert 29,000 in just two days, enough for second overall. The trailing vote-getters include Xenu (9,200), Earthrise (4,200), Legacy (3,500) and Venture (3,200).
“We think that the ‘Colbert’ entry is great, and are excited that Mr. Colbert and his audience have taken an interest in the contest,” said Jacob Keaton, space station program analyst and manager of the Name the Node Contest.
Keaton also told SPACE.com that there were no special provisions for dealing with unusual or downright wacky names, but that NASA would use the public’s opinion as a large part of the final decision.

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-10, 10:31 PM
Colbert, eh? "I support the space program... and so can you!"

2009-Mar-11, 09:48 PM
I tried to find where I once mentioned the NASA home page (http://www.nasa.gov/) feature: "What are people interested in" that shows the popular search terms with words sized to match their usage. I'm sure I commented once, and decried the popularity of such phrases among them as "planet x", "nibiru", maybe "aliens". While it was good that people went to a NASA site to learn about such, I was just disappointed that the world, more specifically anti-scientists within it, was perhaps prompting folks to be curious about such nonsense.

Anyway, now, I see refreshing change. No "nibiru". No "planet x". I see "mars", "nasa tv", "jupiter", "kennedy space center", "kepler", "international space station", "saturn", "neptune" and other reality-based queries.

But one cracks me up, as it should: "colbert"! Pretty cool.

2009-Mar-11, 11:06 PM
Maybe Colbert will pitch "Colbert" for the new Node 3 module some more.

Yeah, he did. The drama continues...

Space.com: NASA Won't Commit to 'Stephen Colbert' Space Module Yet (http://www.space.com/entertainment/090311-colbert-space-race.html)

"Will you now commit to naming that module Colbert if I win your online vote?" Colbert asked William Gerstenmaier, NASA associate administrator for space operations, during a satellite interview on Tuesday.

"Well, we're going to have to go think about that as we get all the votes and we see where we are," Gerstenmaier responded, noting that the voting continues until March 20.

"That's NASA's problem," Colbert said. "You guys think too much."

2009-Mar-12, 09:12 PM
Colbert in the lead!

AP: Can NASA take a joke? Try space station Colbert (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i5tO6jTQ7IXNgdZmXMN0nEdulaxAD96REHTO0)

The count by mid-Tuesday had votes for the comedian just shy of 115,000 and Serenity trailing at 98,641. More than 451,000 people have voted.

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-13, 01:21 AM
You know, I still kind of like Venture...

Van Rijn
2009-Mar-13, 07:10 AM
You know, I still kind of like Venture...

That reminds me too much of The Venture Bros. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venture_Bros.) which doesn't seem appropriate somehow. They did have a space station (Gargantua-1) in the show but it reentered the atmosphere. Yes, the "Venture module" is nearly as bad as the "Colbert module."

I'm hoping the Firefly fans will rally the troops and win this one. I'm not a Firefly fan, but "Serenity" isn't a bad name.

mahesh
2009-Mar-13, 10:52 AM
Is that Rufus T Firefly, you are referring to, Van Rijn, sir?

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-14, 12:43 AM
That reminds me too much of The Venture Bros. which doesn't seem appropriate somehow. They did have a space station (Gargantua-1) in the show but it reentered the atmosphere. Yes, the "Venture module" is nearly as bad as the "Colbert module."
I wanted it because the shuttle in Warren Ellis' graphic novel Orbiter that made First Contact was named Venture.

SpaceCowboy
2009-Mar-14, 12:48 AM
I suggest Odyssey, in honor of the Apollo 13 Command Module.

Van Rijn
2009-Mar-14, 04:20 AM
Is that Rufus T Firefly, you are referring to, Van Rijn, sir?

I'm referring to this series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(TV_series)). The ship on the show was named "Serenity." That was also the name of a movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_(film)) based on the series.

mike alexander
2009-Mar-14, 04:52 PM
What is it? Node 5? Just leave it at Node 5.

How about Paris Hilton?

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-14, 04:56 PM
how about paris hilton?
No.

Tobin Dax
2009-Mar-14, 09:54 PM
How about Paris Hilton?
I think that Salem Motel 6 sounds better.

SpaceCowboy
2009-Mar-15, 01:46 AM
Haha, I don't think so. LOL

How about Paris Hilton?