PDA

View Full Version : Can Somebody Help Me With This News Story?

BigDon
2009-Feb-20, 09:24 PM
Nothing controversial.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7899668.stm

Man commits suicide by decapitating himself in his parked car?

I have a vivid imagination and decades of experiance making stuff up as a hobby, and I'm at a complete loss here.

Fazor
2009-Feb-20, 09:29 PM
I've heard of a guy who killed himself by cuttying himself in two at the torso with a chainsaw. That takes dexterity, dedication, and quick hands.

I can think of a number of ways to decapitate oneself; but none of them would be very easily done in a car.

Call me crazy, but when it's my time to go, I hope it isn't under either of those circumstances.

SeanF
2009-Feb-20, 09:41 PM
Seems I've read of at least two stories involving men decapitating themselves with chainsaws. One, as I recall, involved unrequited love. The other was a drunken game of oneupsmanship - the first guy only severed his own foot.

I also seem to remember reading about a guy decapitating himself in a car by tying one end of a rope around a large pole and the other around his neck and then accelerating away. Certainly doesn't qualify as a parked car, though.

As for the OP, I'm stumped.

(Sorry)

chrissy
2009-Feb-20, 09:51 PM
He might have learned it from This guy who did the same thing a year before (http://www.infoniac.com/offbeat-news/businessman-decapitated-himself-using-aston-martin.html).

SeanF
2009-Feb-20, 09:55 PM
He might have learned it from This guy who did the same thing a year before (http://www.infoniac.com/offbeat-news/businessman-decapitated-himself-using-aston-martin.html).
Hey, that must be the guy I mentioned in my post.

Not a parked car, though. :)

Fazor
2009-Feb-20, 10:01 PM
Maybe he tied the rope to a tree, and had it run away from the parked car?

Eta: Or he tied it to one of these (http://luptonn.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/lord-of-the-rings-tree_l.jpg).

chrissy
2009-Feb-20, 10:21 PM
Could have tied it to his ex wifes car and she drove away not knowing. :whistle:

mugaliens
2009-Feb-21, 04:39 PM
Gruesomely, I thought of two sure-fire methods in very short order. Being a PG-13 site, it's not appropriate to mention this further.

Maha Vailo
2009-Feb-22, 02:02 AM
So it really does happen! I thought the "man decapitates self with rope and car" story was just an urban legend.

- Maha "what a time to lose one's head" Vailo

Ronald Brak
2009-Feb-22, 02:07 AM
Or maybe the police just wanted to go home early. "Yeah, it looks like a suicide to me, let's go get a beer..."

Tog
2009-Feb-22, 02:26 AM
Back in the mid-70s there was a moderately questionable martial arts movie called To Kill the Golden Goose. This starred Ed Parker (Founder of American Kenpo karate) and Bong Soo Han (Grand master of Hapkido at the time) Bong Soo Han was also in The Kentucky Fried Movie as the bad guy in the Enter the Dragon spoof. That was the only reason I rented it. These guys were the real thing.

Anyway, Parker played an assassin who killed one guy by making a loop of piano wire and fixing it to the ceiling of the car. The ends went down behind the headrest to the floor, and on through to the drive shaft. The guy put the car in gear and the wire got shorter.

As for doing it by yourself, I'd have to think it would take an amount of focus that I just really couldn't generate. In southern Utah a few years ago there was a guy that got trapped by a landslide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston). His arm was pinned by a huge rock and he was in a crevas where spotting him would be unlikely. He used a Swiss army knife to cut off his arm.

How about a device of some kind?
Spring loaded guillotine blade?
Replacement motor in the sun roof?
Wire fixed to the door which was opened in front of a speeding garbage truck?
Collar made of thick metal pipe full of hamsters?

No matter how he did it, I'd really like to think there was some amazingly clear evidence of "suicide by decapitation".

Siguy
2009-Feb-22, 03:03 AM
What about in The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul? There's that guy who's found with his body sitting in a chair, and his head revolving on a record player. Clearly it had to be a suicide, his doors were all locked. ;)

WaxRubiks
2009-Feb-22, 05:31 AM
Isn't that the new Ford Decapitatia?

It has a built in decapitation device, and when you've had enough, you just press the red button on the steering wheel.

sarongsong
2009-Feb-22, 05:57 AM
Why would the BBC (who seem to be the only source of this story), after getting the who, what, where, when and why of it leave out the "how", a detail they surely must have known would be questioned? Some sort of editorial policy?

BigDon
2009-Feb-22, 06:08 AM
I think this is right up there with the guy in Texas back in the eighties who commited suicide by shooting himself in the chest seven times with a single shot, bolt action .22 rifle.

As one stand up at the time wryly commented, "You do know this gets progressively harder as you go along?"

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-23, 06:54 PM
Why would the BBC (who seem to be the only source of this story), after getting the who, what, where, when and why of it leave out the "how", a detail they surely must have known would be questioned? Some sort of editorial policy?
So many bad things in that story.
-Was the weapon found?
-They kept saying headless torso, but never mention if the head even existed.

All they got is "The coroner said so". Which leaves a why in addition to the how.
Oh; and the coroner sounds like a genius...
Decapitation...Interesting conclusion, I might have missed that clue and went right to looking for other injuries.
He was Probably under some stress?

And what about the old arrest? Wouldn't there be some public record for the reporter to look up.

This has all the markings of a reporter standing outside a courtroom trying to get a coroner's interview on his way to the loo.

Fazor
2009-Feb-23, 07:46 PM
Oh; and the coroner sounds like a genius...
Decapitation...Interesting conclusion, I might have missed that clue and went right to looking for other injuries.
As dumb and obvious as it sounds, the coroner has to list the specific cause of death. One not-so-small reason would be that the victim could have been dead prior to decapitation ... quite a good clue that it was not a suicide.

NEOWatcher
2009-Feb-23, 08:50 PM
...As dumb and obvious as it sounds, the coroner has to list the specific cause of death...
Yes; but it is suspicious that he is quoted for other things, but not for this fact.
I'm sure there was a better sounding phrase he used.

Jens
2009-Feb-24, 08:07 AM
As dumb and obvious as it sounds, the coroner has to list the specific cause of death. One not-so-small reason would be that the victim could have been dead prior to decapitation ... quite a good clue that it was not a suicide.

Not necessarily, though. We can be a bit imaginative here. The guy had a doctor's appointment, and was told he had an inoperable neck tumor. It turns out the tumor had been on previous x-rays, but the doctor hadn't spotted it. So the guy goes out to his car and shoots himself in the heart. The doctor, to avoid discovery of his medical error, goes out to the car and decapitates the body, to steal the evidence (the neck). :)