PDA

View Full Version : Dutch governemnt secures LOFAR funding

kucharek
2003-Dec-03, 01:13 PM
LOFAR (LOw Frequency ARray)

http://www.lofar.org/
http://web.haystack.mit.edu/lofar/overview.html

What is LOFAR?
LOFAR is a proposed large radio telescope array that will operate in the 10-240 MHz frequency range.

* Layout: LOFAR will have approximately 13,000 dipole antennas clustered in roughly 100 stations spread over a region 400 kilometers across. This will provide a collecting area of one square kilometer at 15 MHz, and arc-second angular resolution.
* Cabling: A high-bandwidth, fiber-optic data transport system will be capable of handling terabits per second. Fiber optical links will connect the antennas providing a flexible system for distributed control, signal processing, monitoring, and remote operation.
* Siting: Various potential LOFAR sites in the southwestern United States, western Australia, and the Netherlands are currently being evaluated.
* Central Processor: The innovative, flexible, highly-parallel central processor will be constructed of inexpensive, off-the-shelf components.
* Beamforming: Multiple, simultaneous beams will be digitally formed and electronically steered allowing:
o Extreme agility in frequency
o The ability to perform simultaneous observations on different targets in the sky
* Calibration: Astronomical radio sources will be observed along many simultaneous lines-of-sight:
o An adaptive phase-based calibration will be performed to compensate for ionospheric delays with high precision
o Radio tomographic techniques will be used to construct a 3-dimensional view of ionospheric structure on fine spatial and time scales
o Advanced radio frequecy interference (RFI) mitigation will be possible.

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Dec-04, 06:01 AM
Oh my hemmens to murgatroyd...give me a kilowatt out and a straight key on 20 meters and stand back...CQ DX CQ DX...and we thought we were doin' good with the antenna array at the VOA site a few years back...

kucharek
2003-Dec-04, 08:45 AM
Oh my hemmens to murgatroyd...give me a kilowatt out and a straight key on 20 meters and stand back...CQ DX CQ DX...and we thought we were doin' good with the antenna array at the VOA site a few years back...

????????????