PDA

View Full Version : Well, Strike Up That Beatles Song...

BigDon
2009-Feb-28, 07:19 PM
'Cause today is my birthday, and I'm gonna have a good time.

One year shy the half century mark. My last year of advanced middle age. Next year I'm officially an "Old Man, Junior Grade."

Today I'm being treated to the best dim sum in the Bay Area. Got to shave and get ready.

I'll be back later.

BD out.

megrfl
2009-Feb-28, 08:03 PM
BigDon, Happy 49th Birthday!!

I had another Beatles song stuck in my head all day, so when I saw this thread... well, you can imagine, but it wasn't Imagine(that's John Lennon); it was Let it be.

Hope you enjoyed your Dim Sum. Yum Yum. :)

megr

Fazor
2009-Feb-28, 08:22 PM
Happy bd, BD!

:wonders what a Bigdon birthday party is like:

LaurelHS
2009-Feb-28, 11:18 PM
Happy birthday, I hope you had a nice dinner. :)

ABR.
2009-Feb-28, 11:46 PM
Have a good one, BigDon!

Gillianren
2009-Feb-28, 11:52 PM
Happy birthday!

KaiYeves
2009-Feb-28, 11:55 PM
Happy Birthday, BigDon!

R.A.F.
2009-Feb-28, 11:57 PM
One year shy the half century mark. My last year of advanced middle age. Next year I'm officially an "Old Man, Junior Grade."

I heard that middle age now ends at 60. :)

Happy b-day!

Gillianren
2009-Mar-01, 12:57 AM
My mother just turned 65, which I have decided is "legally old." Until then, you're middle aged. I just haven't figured out where it starts and if I'm there yet.

redshifter
2009-Mar-01, 01:07 AM
You're not in old age till you get an invitation to join the AARP...

Happy birthday!

BetaDust
2009-Mar-01, 01:32 AM
Happy Birthday BD!!!!

mike alexander
2009-Mar-01, 02:02 AM

Happy birthday!

I'm old, therefore.

BTW, membership can start at 50.

I was going to write something witty, but my brain suddenly stalled. Happy Dim Sim, BD. I haven't had any really good DS since we left D.C. and that was 20 years ago.

Eta C
2009-Mar-01, 02:02 AM
Welcome to the one year shy of 50 group, Don!!. I joined last year and will pass the 50 mark later this year. Just remember, when you go over the hill you pick up speed.

danscope
2009-Mar-01, 02:33 AM
Hi Don, Happy birthday. Good choice in music. Good luck going down Penny Lane.
Dan

Chuck
2009-Mar-01, 03:34 AM
I'm getting ads from local mortuaries and I'm only 57. I must have gotten an acre of AARP material by now.

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Mar-01, 03:44 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought the song might be "Octopus's Garden" based on a couple of the threads here lately.

Nick

ABR.
2009-Mar-01, 03:46 AM

I got my first invitation to join AARP when I was 24. I still have the card with my name on it even though I'm still not old enough to join.

sarongsong
2009-Mar-01, 04:03 AM
Wow---you're older than Jack Benny, BD!
Happy New Year http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

BigDon
2009-Mar-01, 09:38 AM
Well at the risk of posting PWI...(Four bottles of Full Sail and three shot of Huradura tequilla,won't drink Cuervo)

Whew. A good day today. My dear friend Ol' Weird Bob told me today that after I leave my middle age I start my renaissance.

Boo got me a set of binoculars with a built in digital camera. If I see something cool I just hit a lever and I have a picture. Way cool. She was upset that they haven't arrived yet via the mail, but that's cool.

The high light of the dim sum was when I was picking up these delicious stuffed mushrooms with a set of chopsticks longer than I was used to,(Chinese style as opposed to Japanese style chop sticks) and accidently launched the little bugger straight up into the air about 2 to 3 feet, seeing as how it was cooked in butter, and I caught it on the fly with my mouth.

My stoic, NASA working younger brother who was sitting to my right didn't see the first part and thought I was playing the fool in a fancy restarant and started to give me a bit of grief until all the witnesses vounched for my innocence. He thought I was pulling a "Blues Brothers" just because it was my birthday.

Then after all the guests and kids left my LAN warfare group showed up and I played the up-graded Sins of A Solar Empire until 1 AM local, (it's 1:30 AM now) Really nice upgrade. Unlike most war game up-grades they added new stuff without castrating the old stuff, (I'm looking at you Halo II), which rocks out loud up-grade wise.

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Mar-01, 07:43 PM
happy late birthday.

BigDon
2009-Mar-01, 08:29 PM
Thanks all. A wee bit of a head this morning and an extra salty mouth, but nothing horrible. Aspirin and B-complex with lots of water before retiring to bed after drinking helps with that a lot. Aspirin for the inflamation response alcohol comsuption brings and B-complex to stabilize the ol' central nervious system.

I just can't turn my head too fast. :lol:

mugaliens
2009-Mar-01, 09:35 PM
Happy belated Birthday!

What's dim sum?

jrkeller
2009-Mar-01, 09:49 PM

Today I'm being treated to the best dim sum in the Bay Area. Got to shave and get ready.

I'll be back later.

BD out.

I'll be joining you in a 2 2/3 years. So far the journey to the half century mark hasn't been too bad.

BTW, Happy Birthday and enjoy yourself.

Graybeard6
2009-Mar-02, 03:46 AM
BD, your brother isn't like most of my NASA friends; they'd have seen your mushroom trick and immediately started a contest to see who could flip the highest or catch the most in succession. Maybe it's an East Coast/West Coast thing.
BTW: You share a birthday with my favorite bro in Arizona, and your post reminded me that I forgot to call him and he goes to bed early.

Whirlpool
2009-Mar-02, 04:04 AM
Happy belated Birthday!

What's dim sum?

It's a Chinese Street Food.

Fazor
2009-Mar-02, 02:35 PM
Glad to hear you had a good birthday BigDon. Hearing all you guys talk about RTS games almost makes me want to play one. (Note the "almost" part).

My relationship with RTS games is similar to my relationship with basketball; I'm no good at either, so instead of trying to become better at them, I maintain that the other games/sports that I can actually play are better. ;)

Argos
2009-Mar-02, 03:15 PM
Hey, 50 is the new 30. ;)

Happy birthday. :)

closetgeek
2009-Mar-02, 05:39 PM
Happy Belated, BD. Sorry I was not home most of the weekend to wish you on your actual day.

trinitree88
2009-Mar-02, 05:58 PM
Snippet
Boo got me a set of binoculars with a built in digital camera. If I see something cool I just hit a lever and I have a picture. Way cool. She was upset that they haven't arrived yet via the mail, but that's cool.
Snippet
Happy Birthday Big Don...now if your freshly flying dim sum mushroom happened outside while the the San Francisco fog rolled in, and you caught it airborne with your binocs....you coulda had a "dim sum over the dim sun" photo...:shifty::doh: pete

BigDon
2009-Mar-03, 03:23 PM
Happy Birthday Big Don...now if your freshly flying dim sum mushroom happened outside while the the San Francisco fog rolled in, and you caught it airborne with your binocs....you coulda had a "dim sum over the dim sun" photo...:shifty::doh: pete

And Cosmic Dave would have posted it on his web site with a dire warning of fungal based spaceships filled with crustacean invaders.

Bring 'em.

Just once I'd like it if our planet was invaded by tasty aliens who slathered themselves in salt and drawn butter.

ktesibios
2009-Mar-03, 09:32 PM

Happy birthday!

I got mine a couple of months after my 50th birthday. It seems that you can't turn 50 in the USA without they find out about it and send you the "you will be assimilated" letter- they must be buying lists from state DMVs or something like that.

It was actually kind of a relief to receive official recognition of my geezerhood. Now I can sputter and fume about those darned kids today to my heart's content- and if anyone objects I can just brandish my AARP card and tell them to get off my lawn.

Happy belated birthday, Big Don!

Fazor
2009-Mar-03, 09:34 PM
You know what's funny? AARP is sending me membership information. I'll be 27 in April.

Chuck
2009-Mar-03, 09:53 PM
This is the first time that I've been older than the President of The United States. That must be some kind of aging landmark.

peteshimmon
2009-Mar-03, 10:46 PM
Ha! That was my numbing moment! When Tony Blair
became Prime Minister in 1997. I spent a day
moping where I went wrong. It was like one of
the younger erks in the school playground was
now boss!

But I was still cozy after all:)

BigDon
2009-Mar-04, 05:32 PM
This is the first time that I've been older than the President of The United States. That must be some kind of aging landmark.

For me that came when I realized I was older than the doctor who was giving me a physical.

danscope
2009-Mar-04, 07:57 PM
George Burns had a hobby of out-living his physicians. :)
He was a great man.
Best regards, Dan

Trebuchet
2009-Mar-05, 07:41 PM
For me that came when I realized I was older than the doctor who was giving me a physical.

Me too. So far I've been spared having a "personal" exam from a female physician but I'm sure that'll be coming. (Of course our wives have been putting up with this since childhood.)

I had to look up a couple of birthdates and was a little surprised to find this is the first time I've been older than the president as well. Although I'm not far short of the last two.

I will never be joining AARP just BECAUSE they sent me the invitation the week I turned 50. I really dislike them keeping tabs on folks like that.

And BTW, happy belated B-Day, Don.

Gillianren
2009-Mar-05, 08:45 PM
I had to look up a couple of birthdates and was a little surprised to find this is the first time I've been older than the president as well. Although I'm not far short of the last two.

There's an old series of Doonesbury strips from 1992/1993 wherein Joanie Caucus is interviewing for a White House job, and one of the questions in a form she has to fill out is how she feels about having a President her own age--younger, in Joanie's case. One of the answers, as I recall, is "depressed."

crosscountry
2009-Mar-07, 11:58 PM

I'll be back later.

BD out.

Happy Birthday a few days late. Hope the Dim Sum was good.