PDA

View Full Version : gripe re: Cassini spots a moon, solves a mystery

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Mar-04, 07:12 PM
From Cassini spots a moon, solves a mystery (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/03/03/cassini-spots-a-moon-solves-a-mystery/):

... (click to emringen) ...

Ok, I know Phil is fond of pop culturalisms in his BA blog, and I even know the origin of the "embiggen" phrase he likes to use, but it still took me a couple of minutes to realize that this is a mashup of "embiggen" and "ring" rather than a ghastly typo.

I am all for using an easy style to communicate sometimes-difficult information, and it's Phil's blog and he can do what he wants, but I might suggest he tone down the pop culture references just a tad, especially since a significant portion of his audience might not speak English as a first language or be otherwise unfamiliar with such popular trivia.

Nick

Disinfo Agent
2009-Mar-05, 07:59 PM
I liked it! :D

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Mar-06, 02:50 AM
Maybe I'm just getting crotchety in my old age.

Nick

slang
2009-Mar-06, 10:48 PM
I protest age-related emcrotchification!

So Phil loves a bit of word play.. I think the essence of said remarks start and end with "Click to", and whatever comes after is irrelevant. Because we're so trained to read a remark there indicating that clicking leads to an improved version of a picture.

geonuc
2009-Mar-10, 11:18 AM
Maybe I'm just getting crotchety in my old age.

As is your right. :)

hhEb09'1
2009-Mar-10, 01:08 PM
Plus, it doesn't make sense, does it? :)

Disinfo Agent
2009-Mar-10, 03:17 PM
Well, it's obviously misspelled. It should be "enringen". :D