PDA

View Full Version : More Hazlewood Nonsense

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Dec-04, 09:01 PM
Mark Hazlewood, late of Zetatalk and now firmly attached to James McCanney's leg, has a long history of screwing up basic science.

It hasn't stopped. He has a mailing list, and was answering a question about magnetic pole reversals when he stated this gem:

"How is it magnetic reversals cause an increase in cancer?

When the earths magnetic reading is at zero in places, which it has
been a few times in recent years, earths protective magnetic shield
dissipates and there's nothing stopping the suns x-rays from
reaching the surface during solar flares. X-rays can cause cancer.
This gives new meaning to being sun baked, fried, or burned."

This is riotously incorrect. For one thing, the X-rays from the Sun are not deflected in any way by the Earth's magnetic field. X-rays are photons, just like regular old light, and are unaffected by magnetism.

For another, X-rays from the Sun are absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere, and would be whether we have a magnetic field or not.

Hazlewood is a scare-mongerer of the worst sort. It seems like he'll say anything, no matter how ridiculously wrong, as long as it supports his outrageous premises. I'll have to add this to my page about him.

heliopause
2003-Dec-04, 09:10 PM
I've still yet to figure out what one gains by slathering this doo-doo around? Is Hazlewood still out to make a buck??

Musashi
2003-Dec-04, 09:35 PM
late of Zetatalk and now firmly attached to James McCanney's leg :lol: =D>

tjm220
2003-Dec-04, 09:37 PM
Mark Hazlewood, late of Zetatalk and now firmly attached to James McCanney's leg...

Bad dog! [-X

Alex W.
2003-Dec-04, 10:30 PM
If there's ever a Bad PX book, I'll pay good money for that quote to be included.

tmosher
2003-Dec-04, 11:11 PM
Bad dog!

Is it time to get out the rolled newspaper?

Tom

pteranodon
2003-Dec-05, 12:04 AM
:lol:, Phil!

Those woo-woos are the world's largest free source of entertainment.

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Dec-05, 04:29 AM
Bad dog!

Is it time to get out the rolled newspaper?

Tom

Either that or the garden hose... 8-[

D*mn*t**n, Philbert, you musta been in some mood when you came up with that line... =D>

Conrad
2003-Dec-05, 01:30 PM
Okaaaaaaaaay. I'll bite. Who on earth is James McCanney?

I find it difficult to keep up with the Dramatis Personae of the Woo-woo brigade; having a 25-hour day might help ...

foxd
2003-Dec-05, 02:18 PM
Mark Hazlewood, late of Zetatalk and now firmly attached to James McCanney's leg, has a long history of screwing up basic science.

It hasn't stopped. He has a mailing list, and was answering a question about magnetic pole reversals when he stated this gem:

"How is it magnetic reversals cause an increase in cancer?

This is riotously incorrect. For one thing, the X-rays from the Sun are not deflected in any way by the Earth's magnetic field. X-rays are photons, just like regular old light, and are unaffected by magnetism.

For another, X-rays from the Sun are absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere, and would be whether we have a magnetic field or not.

Hazlewood is a scare-mongerer of the worst sort. It seems like he'll say anything, no matter how ridiculously wrong, as long as it supports his outrageous premises. I'll have to add this to my page about him.

This sounds familiar! Didn't the movie THE CORE also have x-rays from the sun reaching the Earth's surface when the Earth's magnetic field shut down?

Laser Jock
2003-Dec-05, 02:45 PM
Okaaaaaaaaay. I'll bite. Who on earth is James McCanney?

I find it difficult to keep up with the Dramatis Personae of the Woo-woo brigade; having a 25-hour day might help ...

McCanney is a first-class woo-woo that got a Masters degree in physics and thinks now that he's smatter than all of us. In particular, he was an intructor for a semester or two at Cornell University, and as a result likes to go by the (bogus) title of Professor McCanney. As I have said in other threads, having only a Masters in physics is often associated with someone who has failed the PhD qualifiying exam or dropped out of the program. I would say that it's very likely that his Masters was simply for course work and did not require a thesis. Here's (http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/) his web page. Run a search for his name on this board and you'll uncover several threads discussing his nonsense.

This sounds familiar! Didn't the movie THE CORE also have x-rays from the sun reaching the Earth's surface when the Earth's magnetic field shut down?

IIRC, it was microwaves in the movie. But I doubt most twinkies would be aware that they are different than x-rays.

foxd
2003-Dec-05, 06:00 PM

IIRC, it was microwaves in the movie. But I doubt most twinkies would be aware that they are different than x-rays.

I believe you are right, it was microwaves. Though I doubt the Earth's magnetic field does all that much shielding of microwaves either considering the amount of L, C and Ku band satellite communication.

Archer17
2003-Dec-05, 06:49 PM
Mark Hazlewood, late of Zetatalk and now firmly attached to James McCanney's leg .. =D> :lol: Great shot!
Hazlewood is a scare-mongerer of the worst sort. It seems like he'll say anything, no matter how ridiculously wrong, as long as it supports his outrageous premises. I'll have to add this to my page about him.Good for you BA. Scare-mongers are the worst flavor of woowoo out there. It's one thing to believe in flying saucers or Atlantis, quite another to generate fear on the gullible for personal gain.

SarahMc
2003-Dec-05, 07:31 PM

That sounds like a near quote from McCanney when he was on coast to coast recently. He stated that a couple times during the show. It was all I could do to keep from laughing and waking up everyone in the house.

As an aside, I think McCanney holds a Masters in mathematics, not physics. Seems I remember seeing that somewhere else when his past was being discussed. I could be wrong though.

tmosher
2003-Dec-06, 01:22 AM
http://www.education-info.com/certificate/master_degree/master_degree_msg7118/master_degree_msg7118.shtml

All the google searches that I've made only say MS in mathematics and a short stint at Cornell where his contract was not renewed.

Tom

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Dec-06, 01:37 AM
Interesting. That post was by Leroy Ellenberger, an acquaintance of mine. I'll have to ask him what he knows about McCanney.

This page is great: http://www.detailshere.com/preacherssynopsis.htm. It calls him "Dr. McCanney" constantly, and lists his degrees... yet none is a PhD! That's a rather typical level of research done by a PX website.

tmosher
2003-Dec-06, 02:27 AM
This page is great: http://www.detailshere.com/preacherssynopsis.htm. It calls him "Dr. McCanney" constantly, and lists his degrees... yet none is a PhD! That's a rather typical level of research done by a PX website.

Another typical Liederite page...full of bull but lacking in facts.

I think my brother outranks McCanney - at least my brother has a PhD (albeit in Philosophy).

Tom

SarahMc
2003-Dec-06, 05:21 AM
Interesting. That post was by Leroy Ellenberger, an acquaintance of mine. I'll have to ask him what he knows about McCanney.

He's talked about McCanney in the past on sci.astro as well. After a little search, I found the post he made that was quite enlightening (to me at least). (http://www.google.com/groups?q=McCanney+group:sci.astro&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=81479c66.0305170832.41ec2c8f%40posting.goog le.com&rnum=4) That's probably where I first heard that his Masters was in mathematics.