PDA

View Full Version : Life on Ceres: Could the Dwarf Planet be the Root of Panspermia?

Fraser
2009-Mar-06, 01:40 AM
It has been theorised for a long time that the dwarf planet Ceres may be harbouring a lot of water. With the promise of water comes the hope that life may be present on this little world orbiting the Sun in the asteroid belt. You may be forgiven in thinking that the search for life [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/03/05/life-on-ceres-could-the-dwarf-planet-be-the-root-of-panspermia/)

Nick Theodorakis
2009-Mar-06, 02:53 AM
If life is coming from just one place, is it still "pan"spermia? I thought the prefix implies a widespread distribution.

Nick

marsbug
2009-Mar-06, 01:46 PM
I'm glad Ceres is getting some more attention. In some way's it's a better place to look for past or present alien life than mars: it has water that was liquid for at least hundreds of millions of years, we know that chemistry on some protoplanets and asteroids got as far as amino acids and nucleobases from meteorite studies, and it has an escape velocity low enough to make sample return missions less daunting.

MAPNUT
2009-Mar-06, 02:39 PM
Is there any reason to think it possible that life originated on Ceres rather than on Earth? Surely Earth has has more diverse and energetic environments in its history. What am I missing?