PDA

View Full Version : Why we are sleeping less...

gzhpcu
2009-Mar-08, 10:57 AM
Released this week, the National Sleep Foundation's annual poll estimated that Americans get an average of about 6.7 hours of sleep during a weekday. The annual Sleep in America poll estimated the hours of sleep have gradually decreased.

source: http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/04/sleep.stress.economy/?iref=mpstoryview

How many hours sleep do you get? I am pretty close to the new average, i.e., about 6.5 hours of sleep. I fall asleep within minutes, and before I realize it, 6.5 hours are gone, and I am raring and ready to go...:)

Moose
2009-Mar-08, 03:19 PM
Left alone, I can sleep nine or ten hours a night. I can function on seven if I have to. Less than six, I'll experience some immediate impairment.

Chuck
2009-Mar-08, 03:28 PM
6 hours lately. It was around 9 hours about 30 years ago when I was jogging about ten miles per day. I don't exercise that much any more.

Donnie B.
2009-Mar-08, 04:00 PM
Oh! Oh! Mr. Kotter! I know why we're sleeping less!

Because last night was the switch to Daylight Savings Time!

;)

mugaliens
2009-Mar-08, 05:42 PM

;)

Well... That depends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_around_the_world#Europe)...

Sleep is good...

Gillianren
2009-Mar-08, 09:08 PM

;)

We don't set the alarm on Sundays, so we only woke up about an hour and a half ago. Most nights, we go to bed at around 1, and Graham wakes up at a little after 9. Usually, I'm awake before 10, but not always. Then again, my sleep patterns also change based on my medication!

jokergirl
2009-Mar-09, 07:08 AM
I'm still asleep.

That I'm up and moving about doesn't matter.

;)

cjl
2009-Mar-09, 07:18 AM
My sleep varies widely, but I would say I average around 5-6 hours a night on a good week (with 10+ on weekends, unless I have to do something). Occasionally though, that drops down to 4 hours or so, and on a single bad night, it could be as low as 2 (or just no sleep at all). I do try for at least 7, I'm just rarely successful.

jokergirl
2009-Mar-09, 08:57 AM
Daylight Savings Time causes Heart attacks (http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE49T6DO20081030)

Interesting study.

;)

cjl
2009-Mar-09, 09:43 AM
On the subject of a lack of sleep, tonight, I can get at most 5 hours if I go to bed right now, and that isn't happening. Looks like this will be one of my nights with <4hrs.

mfumbesi
2009-Mar-09, 11:20 AM
I sleep ~7 hours, anything above 7.5 hour I wake all tired and strained.

Whirlpool
2009-Mar-09, 11:42 AM
The longest I slept was 8 hrs . Normal sleep is at 5 hrs the most.

peter eldergill
2009-Mar-09, 11:48 AM
I like to get 8 hours, but most nights I get around 6.5 to 7

Pete

megrfl
2009-Mar-09, 02:23 PM
<venting> Well, I'm miserable. I hate daylight savings time. I couldn't fall asleep last night and then I had to get up while it was completely dark out. The alarm went off this morning and my mind could not comprehend it. I don't even recall hearing it, just something annoyed me awake, I was still deeply asleep. :(<end vent>

Anyway, on a good week night, I get about 7 hours. I long for eight. I get about 8-9 hours each weekend night.

I agree with Mugs; "Sleep is good..."

Donnie B.
2009-Mar-09, 02:40 PM
Oddly enough, I awoke, and got up, before the alarm went off this morning. Even so I'd say I haven't made the adjustment to DST (physiologically). In previous years of "springing forward" -- and jet lag -- I've sometimes found the second day to be harder than the first. I've also seemed to find it harder as I get older -- not that that's happening at all.

My weeknight sleep budget is 7 hours max, not counting fall-asleep and snooze-button time. I generally play catch-up on weekends. Recently I've found myself dropping off for quick cat naps (less than 15 minutes) in the evenings. Those are surprisingly refreshing.

Swift
2009-Mar-09, 03:17 PM
I almost never get enough sleep. I probably average less than 6 hours a night. I have to be up at 6 a.m. for work normally, and sometime 5:30 or so, depending on what's happening. With my schedule, by the time I get home, particularly if I'm hitting the gym, eat dinner, clear the dishes and everything, it is probably 9:30 p.m. Then I try to start winding down, but it is rare that I'm in bed before 11:30 p.m. or so. I usually take a long time to fall asleep, though I sleep fine once there. I know that's bad for you, but I don't seem to have much choice. And no, I'm not looking for suggestions.

By the way, I love daylight savings time. I'm very much not a morning person, and would much rather have later sunsets than earlier sunrises.

Fazor
2009-Mar-09, 03:21 PM
I get between six and seven usually. My dogs have developed an annoying habbit of wanting to go out about two hours before we want to wake up; but fortunately for me I sleep more soundly than Tara, so usually she's the first to get annoyed to the point of getting up and letting them out.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-09, 03:41 PM
I hadn't noticed the switch, all clocks I use make the switch by themselves:)

ETA Doh! That's because we haven't switched yet. :doh:

Seeka
2009-Mar-09, 05:57 PM
What is DST?
Lately i am getting 5 hours 30mins, i start work at 7am. I hate the dark mornings. I end up needing a power nap in the evening, it's a vicious circle. I also hate that my BF gets to stay in bed another 3 hours after i have gotten up.:mad:
I love sleep! I would sleep 12 hours easily if left alone, i know it's not good for you but i still would.

Fazor
2009-Mar-09, 06:01 PM
DST = Daylight Savings Time.

It's something we use over here to confuse the heck out of ourselves and throw off our internal clocks. :(

Seeka
2009-Mar-09, 06:11 PM
Sounds bizarre Fazor.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-09, 06:33 PM
Daylight Savings Time causes Heart attacks (http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE49T6DO20081030)

Interesting study.

;)

I've heard morning coffee can cause seizures...

I know morning sunlight makes me sneeze! Afternoon sunlight, however, never does...

Fazor
2009-Mar-09, 06:39 PM
I know morning sunlight makes me sneeze! Afternoon sunlight, however, never does...
I've always been curious about this phenomenon (regardless of time of day). I don't have that reaction; but I've been around people who do.

I always assumed it's not so much the sun, as the dust/pollen/etc in the air. On cloudy days, perhaps there's enough moisture to negate the effect. Dunno.

Maha Vailo
2009-Mar-09, 08:27 PM
They say the problem is stress, but don't seem to mention any solutions to this problem. How might the average work-a-day American emulate the normal sleep patterns of the humans of "centuries ago" and still have enough time to get their work and play done? Any help or advice is welcome!

- Maha Vailo

Swift
2009-Mar-09, 09:12 PM
I've always been curious about this phenomenon (regardless of time of day). I don't have that reaction; but I've been around people who do.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex)

Photic sneeze reflex is a genetic autosomal dominant trait, which causes sneezing when exposed suddenly to bright light, possibly many times consecutively. It is also referred to as photic sneeze response, sun sneezing, photogenic sneezing, the photosternutatory reflex, being photo sensitive, ACHOO syndrome, and "Achooism," with its related backronym Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome. The condition affects 18-35% of the human population.[1]

The first mention of the phenomenon is probably in the later work attributed to Aristotle (Problems, book XXXIII).[2]

The probable cause is a congenital malfunction in nerve signals in the trigeminal nerve nuclei. The fifth cranial nerve, called the trigeminal nerve, is apparently responsible for sneezes. Research suggests that some people have an association between this nerve and the nerve that transmits visual impulses to the brain. Overstimulation of the optic nerve triggers the trigeminal nerve, and this causes the photic sneeze reflex.

In addition this sneeze reflex can be brought on by a sudden inhaling of cold air or a strong flavor such as a strong mint gum. This implies an overstimulation of any nerve close to the trigeminal nerve can cause the sneeze reflex.

cosmocrazy
2009-Mar-09, 09:26 PM
What is DST?
Lately i am getting 5 hours 30mins, i start work at 7am. I hate the dark mornings. I end up needing a power nap in the evening, it's a vicious circle. I also hate that my BF gets to stay in bed another 3 hours after i have gotten up.:mad:
I love sleep! I would sleep 12 hours easily if left alone, i know it's not good for you but i still would.

DST - day light saving comes into play for us in the UK at the end of march, the clocks go forward a hour. Yippee! :)

I try to get around 7 hours.
A guy who i work with has only 3hrs a night, goes to bed around 1am, up around 4am. He has done this all his life and seems never to suffer any ill effects. He says it stemmed from when he was a baby he slept very little to. Jammy sod! :)

Seeka
2009-Mar-09, 10:08 PM
DST - day light saving comes into play for us in the UK at the end of march, the clocks go forward a hour. Yippee! :)

Oooh then i love DST! I am so looking forward to the longer brighter evenings.

cosmocrazy
2009-Mar-09, 10:33 PM
Oooh then i love DST! I am so looking forward to the longer brighter evenings.

exactly!!! it means i can do all the outdoor activities i love doing, after work instead of waiting for the wk end..:)

KaiYeves
2009-Mar-09, 10:36 PM
I sleep less because I have early-morning classes, requiring me to wake up at six. When I'm in my natural rhythm, I usually wake up at around seven-thirty or eight.

Maha Vailo
2009-Mar-09, 11:02 PM
I'm wired weird - I sleep when I please and for as long as I please. I usually sleep around 5-6 hours a day with few ill effects. However, I can get away with less. Last year, I made top cut at the Florida Regional Pokemon TCG Championship with only 1.5 hours sleep. (It's a long story.)

I'd still like to know how the average American can reduce their stress and manage a full 8 hours while still maintaining a normal work/play schedule. Any ideas?

- Maha Vailo

Chuck
2009-Mar-09, 11:31 PM

I always assumed it's not so much the sun, as the dust/pollen/etc in the air. On cloudy days, perhaps there's enough moisture to negate the effect. Dunno.
I don't sneeze just for looking at a bright light but it's a good way to finish off a half-formed sneeze.

crosscountry
2009-Mar-10, 12:10 AM

;)

I actually got more sleep, but then again I didn't make it to work until 11AM today.

7+ is what I get. the plus could be up to an hour.

crosscountry
2009-Mar-10, 12:11 AM
I'm wired weird - I sleep when I please and for as long as I please. I usually sleep around 5-6 hours a day with few ill effects. However, I can get away with less. Last year, I made top cut at the Florida Regional Pokemon TCG Championship with only 1.5 hours sleep. (It's a long story.)

any story involving pokemon is too long for me

Torsten
2009-Mar-10, 12:21 AM

For me it occurs at this time of year, usually a couple of hours either side of noon, when I come into a place that is sunny and has a lot of snow reflecting that sunlight. Without the snow in the scene I don't usually get the reaction. So I guess for me it takes a lot of light for the photic reflex. There's not a bit of pollen out yet where I live.

Fazor
2009-Mar-10, 01:41 PM
There's not a bit of pollen out yet where I live.
Yes, I've been once again proven wrong by wikipedia. Curse thee, o tome of internet knowlege!!! ;)

Ross PK81
2009-Mar-10, 02:49 PM
I need 9 to 11 hours.

Argos
2009-Mar-10, 03:09 PM
I need 9 to 11 hours.

Me too, but I only get 6, 7 tops.

I miss the time when I could sleep for hours and hours. Maybe it has to do with aging.

The year of 2000, a very stressful one, marks a turning point in my life. Since then the quality of my sleep deteriorated. Its not that I have insomnia, but I take some time to do a wrap-up of the day through thinking. Even good thinks hinders the process. An ansiolitic pill always helps.

crosscountry
2009-Mar-10, 09:06 PM
does anyone take melatonin? does it work?

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-11, 07:03 PM
When I'm in my natural rhythm, I usually wake up at around seven-thirty or eight.
When I'm at my natural rhythm there's 13 days in a fortnight.

cjl
2009-Mar-12, 04:21 AM
When I'm at my natural rhythm there's 13 days in a fortnight.

That's about true for me too, when I don't actually have anything regulating my schedule.