PDA

View Full Version : Study finds plenty of plagiarism

gzhpcu
2009-Mar-09, 12:23 PM
If copying is the sincerest form of flattery, then journals are publishing a lot of amazingly flattering science. Of course to most of us, the authors of such reports would best be labeled plagiarists and warrant censure, not praise.
source: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/41458/title/Study_finds_plenty_of_apparent_plagiarism

I have encountered a lot on the internet when googling for information: the same text verbatim, and no reference to the original source...

jokergirl
2009-Mar-09, 02:47 PM
My universities had quite a lot to say about plagiarism. But it condensed into two simple rules:

1. You put one unreferenced quote in your paper, you are kicked.
2. Don't think we won't find out.

All unis I know of are actually employing search tools for all kinds of scientific publications to reduce unchecked plagiarism.

;)

NosePicker
2009-Mar-10, 11:57 AM
C&P Journalism! LOL

hhEb09'1
2009-Mar-10, 12:19 PM
I was once asked to ref a geophysics article for a journal. The article made some interesting calculations, but when I looked into it's references, I found the same authors had recently published a similar article in the same area. The latest article was a small advance, and 90% of it was word-processed from the earlier article. No one, not the faculty, not the journal editorial staff, not our university general counsel, seemed to know what the law was there.

Gigabyte
2009-Mar-10, 12:23 PM
On another forum, somebody posted an "original" article, and I asked them for sources. They said they didn't need them, because it was an original article. I put each sentence into Google until I found an article that had the exact match.

Then linked the article I found into the discussion. The author claimed they never saw the original source. (?) Then she got mad about it. The final post from her was something like "What did you do? Put the entire article into Google?".

hhEb09'1
2009-Mar-10, 12:36 PM
The final post from her was something like "What did you do? Put the entire article into Google?".And why not? it's so easy :)

ngc3314
2009-Mar-10, 01:02 PM
Just last week I handed out an extra-credit writing assignment to a large class. I have a standard speech at this point, roughly as follows:

"I always feel uncomfortable even having to mention this, but it's proven necessary. You may or may not see a moral problem with plagiarism. It doesn't matter. When you enrolled, you all signed a document indicating that you knew it to be an act of academic misconduct, with penalties up to expulsion if this is found to have occurred.

And even though I'm this middle-aged guy with thinning hair and a pot belly, I have been running a web site since most of you were three years old and keeping up with available tools. I do research for a living and can use Google better than you can. Really. Don't try it.

Don't emulate the guy I had last year who turned in an essay completely cut-and-pasted from a Wikipedia article, trying to pass it off as his own writing. A Wikipedia article which included as one of its cited references some of my web material."

If free-form writing didn't engage students who just have trouble with multiple-choice exams, and manages to teach some students things they otherwise wouldn't get, it wouldn't be worth the heartburn.

jfribrg
2009-Mar-10, 02:18 PM
Speaking of Wikipedia, I added a paragraph to a wiki entry. Recently, I found that my paragraph showed up in numerous other sites. All of these sites except one referenced wikipedia as the source. If it wasn't for the one, I would not be posting to this thread! This one site has the following statement on their home page:
Please include a link to this page if you have found this material useful for research or writing a related article. Content on this website is from high-quality, licensed material originally published in print form. You can always be sure you're reading unbiased, factual, and accurate information.

Gigabyte
2009-Mar-10, 11:26 PM
I've know of a LOT of sites that use WP as a source, but don't say they do. Irony abounds, when someone on WP uses one of these sites as a source, and nobody has caught it yet.

LaurelHS
2009-Mar-11, 06:04 AM
A few years back, there was a big case of plagiarism at Simon Fraser University (that's in British Columbia). 44 students in a statistics class turned in identical assignments.

Neverfly
2009-Mar-11, 06:23 AM
A few years back, there was a big case of plagiarism at Simon Fraser University (that's in British Columbia). 44 students in a statistics class turned in identical assignments.
Now, what are the odds of that?

Gigabyte
2009-Mar-11, 01:08 PM
Not quite accurate, but ...

Forty-four students at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia who were involved in a plagiarism "scheme" were suspended after nearly a year long investigation into allegations of academic dishonesty. Students at the University who purchased custom designed projects for an economics assignment were also uncovered during the investigation and received failing grades for the course.
http://chronicle.com/daily/2002/10/2002102404n.htm

peter eldergill
2009-Mar-11, 02:19 PM
I had a Math prof who told us a story about when he was a grad student and was responsible for marking assignments. He said there were about 80 students and there would have been no possible way to mark all those assignments if there weren't only 5 different versions of it... :)

Pete

Chuck
2009-Mar-11, 03:09 PM
Maybe there's a market for rephrasing software. It would use The Internet to stay in contact with other copies of itself to make sure that it doesn't produce the same paper twice.

LaurelHS
2009-Mar-11, 07:23 PM
There was also a guy named Michael Gunn (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/3753065.stm) who threatened to sue the University of Kent because he plagiarized several assignments and didn't get caught until his third year of university. He said the university should have caught him sooner and warned him about plagiarizing because he didn't know it was wrong. :rolleyes: I don't know if he actually went ahead with the lawsuit.

mike alexander
2009-Mar-11, 08:09 PM
I've know of a LOT of sites that use WP as a source, but don't say they do. Irony abounds, when someone on WP uses one of these sites as a source, and nobody has caught it yet.

Oops.

Gigabyte
2009-Mar-11, 09:52 PM
Oops.

heh (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=%22I%27ve+know+of+a+LOT+of+sites+that+use+WP+as+ a+source%2C+but+don%27t+say+they+do.+Irony+abounds %2C+when+someone+on+WP+uses+one+of+these+sites+as+ a+source%2C+and+nobody+has+caught+it+yet.%22&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f)