PDA

View Full Version : Ep. 128: Dust

Fraser
2009-Mar-09, 09:20 PM
You can't make a Solar System without a whole lot of dust. And that's the problem. This dust has blocked astronomers views into some of the most fascinating parts of the cosmos. It shields the galactic core, enshrouds newly forming stars and their planets, and blocks our view to churning supermassive black holes, actively feeding in distant galaxies. But new telescopes and techniques are allowing astronomers to peer through this dust, and see these events like never before.http://feeds2.feedburner.com/~r/astronomycast/~4/tlAgsLe97hM

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/astronomycast/~3/tlAgsLe97hM/)

CPalmer03
2009-Mar-11, 05:15 PM
I was just wondering if it was just my system or headphones or something, but pamela sounds like she is underwater or echoing pretty pad? Anyone else have this problem?

Taunide
2009-Mar-11, 08:20 PM
Yip. Pamela sounded like she was not recording in her usual environment.. and she sounded a little sad...

Ricardodaforce
2009-Mar-11, 09:09 PM
Isn't she in the UK again?

Fraser
2009-Mar-12, 02:47 AM
She's in the UK and I'm on Pacific time so we're recording early in the morning for her and super late at night for me. And the coffee's not so good there, I understand. It's definitely not her normal recording environment, she's sneaking some space at Chris Lintott's office.

For episode 129, I downed a big coffee at 10:00pm, so I was perfectly chipper when we recorded at 12:45 am. We're recording the next questions show again tonight, so I'll recaffinate. again.

Ricardodaforce
2009-Mar-12, 08:16 AM
Having just moved from the UK to Spain, I can confirm the coffee back there is crap!

baskerbosse
2010-Jul-28, 05:41 AM
Question about dust:
If the dust generated by supernovae is like cigarette ash, -where do the big rocks come from?
And why do they seem to be so 'sorted'. -Some are iron, some are silicates, some are ice.
Don't they form in supernovae as well?
If not, how come they come in different kinds?

/Peter

Spoons
2010-Jul-28, 06:06 AM
I suggest you pose that question in the Q&A section - you're much more likely to get a good response there, I'm not sure how many people regularly check this section.

baskerbosse
2010-Jul-28, 11:32 PM
I suggest you pose that question in the Q&A section - you're much more likely to get a good response there, I'm not sure how many people regularly check this section.

Thanks!

Will do..

/Peter