PDA

View Full Version : Other Science/Physics/ Astronomy forums out there?

Neverfly
2009-Mar-11, 09:35 PM
Anyone have any suggestions of other forums that discuss physics and astronomy (preferably general science) in depth out there?

Nereid
2009-Mar-11, 11:57 PM
Anyone have any suggestions of other forums that discuss physics and astronomy (preferably general science) in depth out there?

Physics Forums is, IMHO, by far the best, for both physics and homework help (focus on math and physics). It also has an astronomy section, which nicely complements BAUT in that it is considerably more technical (= more math).

APOD has a Discuss an APOD forum (disclosure: Nereid is an admin there); not surprisingly, the focus is on discussion of APODs.

The JREF Forum's Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology section may be closest to what you're asking about, though it has a strong critical thinking/scepticism bias (and Phil Plait is, obviously, one of the overlords).

There are lots of good blogs, and some of the comments on specific blogs can be truly outstanding.

If you want to roll up your sleeves and start actually DOING some astronomy, there's the Galaxy Zoo project (Citizen Science extraordinaire), which has a lively discussion forum (no prizes for guessing what the focus of that discussion is).

IIRC, there are discussion fora attached to at least some of the BOINC-based projects, e.g. Einstein@Home.

That should be a good start ... why not let us know what you found when you went hunting/taking a gander?

sarongsong
2009-Mar-12, 12:03 AM
Just google coberst and follow the trail... :)

Neverfly
2009-Mar-12, 12:08 AM
That should be a good start ... why not let us know what you found when you went hunting/taking a gander?
I've heard of some of those, part of what I was hoping to hear was another forum that is as diverse as this one, skeptical and scientific.

Searching provides your basic forums ruled by those that kinda.. well... misunderstand a lot of the basic tenets of science, and while that in itself is not "wrong" of a person- not providing the means to enhance your knowledge is.

The other problem is that it takes a bit of time to get a feel for a place, so I was wondering if others that had time in on a place could make suggestions.

I may also need to shy away from forums in general.

But if I find anything- I will be happy to post a link here too.

Nereid
2009-Mar-12, 12:13 AM
I've heard of some of those, part of what I was hoping to hear was another forum that is as diverse as this one, skeptical and scientific.

Searching provides your basic forums ruled by those that kinda.. well... misunderstand a lot of the basic tenets of science, and while that in itself is not "wrong" of a person- not providing the means to enhance your knowledge is.

The other problem is that it takes a bit of time to get a feel for a place, so I was wondering if others that had time in on a place could make suggestions.

I may also need to shy away from forums in general.

But if I find anything- I will be happy to post a link here too.
I'm not sure I understand this ...

... so what follows may be exactly the wrong suggestion ...

Try PF and/or JREF Forum's Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology section first.

Neverfly
2009-Mar-12, 12:44 AM
I'm not sure I understand this ...

... so what follows may be exactly the wrong suggestion ...

Try PF and/or JREF Forum's Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology section first.

Thanks for suggesting, I can check them out;)

The Backroad Astronomer
2009-Mar-12, 05:48 AM
Neverfly JREF would be good choice for you, they actually allow politics there as well.
I am a member there as well under the same username but with a capital D at the beginning.

Neverfly
2009-Mar-12, 08:35 AM
Neverfly JREF would be good choice for you, they actually allow politics there as well.
I am a member there as well under the same username but with a capital D at the beginning.

Ok, I will blame you then, when someone asks "how it got in."

Neverfly
2009-Mar-12, 05:48 PM
Ok, I think I've made a final decision for me.

So now, (Sorry Spock Jenkins for being so dramatic:p) I bid you all adieu.

Josh,

5. Privacy Issues

Do not post private email you have received without the express permission of the sender. There are legal and copyright reasons for this, not to mention that doing so is very impolite. The same caveat applies to private messages, whether they're from this forum or anywhere else. If you receive rude or abusive private messages on this forum, please contact the administrators/moderators for assistance. Posting private information about forum users that is not available otherwise publicly will not be tolerated.

Apparently the Moderators here are an exclusive Club- They are above all of the rules and can get away with just about anything, since they all support eachother no matter what.
Self righteously, they justify any action taken, no matter how nonsensical it may seem.

Now, after I already confronted a Moderator here about forwarding PRIVATE MESSAGES...

I had a PRIVATE CONVERSATION with a Moderator Forwarded to the other mods.

Considering that the PRIVATE message was a PRIVATE discussion, that it was NOT A WARNING, that the Moderators used a PRIVATE MESSAGE to discuss their little feelings about my behavior- Which was NOT being reflected on the board- But was in a Private Discussion...
That another Moderator sent that forwarded message back to me and Admonished me for how I conducted myself in a PRIVATE conversation...

I quit.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-12, 05:52 PM

So now, . . . I bid you all adieu.

I quit.

Again? :exclaim:

geonuc
2009-Mar-12, 07:53 PM
I quit.
Well, that draws a vacuum.

Neverfly is (was) a valuable member of this forum and for him to call it quits is not a good thing at all. I know others feel differently, but Neverfly's wit and enthusiasm were key to my joining BAUT in the first place.

Neverfly
2009-Mar-12, 08:11 PM
Thank you Geonuc, but it occurs to me that I strongly do not want a discussion on this.
For those that wish, they know where to find me or get ahold of me. I will check PM's for a while or as long as I am able.

I request that a Moderator lock this thread.

Click Ticker
2009-Mar-12, 08:12 PM

So now, (Sorry Spock Jenkins for being so dramatic:p) I bid you all adieu.

Enjoy your new home, you big drama queen. :)

BTW - you're sharing something I discussed with you via Private Message.

Swift
2009-Mar-12, 08:14 PM
Even without Neverfly's request, I think it appropriate to lock this thread, and his request makes it even more so.